Blueberry Strawberry Mojito
Would it be reasonable to walk into a pharmacy and ask for a strawberry mojito? I realize the request would be unorthodox, but I’ve found that no matter how grouchy a day I’m having, a cool strawberry mojito is the right prescription for my surly mood.
The first strawberry mojito cocktail I ever tasted was at Applebee’s. I was in an airport, my flight was delayed, and the only thing more dismal than the storm outside was my mood. I decided to skip the bagel kiosk in favor of a “sit-down” meal at Applebee’s. The moment I spotted a strawberry mojito on the menu, I knew it was destined to be mine.
I’m not sure if my love for that strawberry mojito was a product of my acute need for an adult beverage in the moment, or if the bartender on duty that afternoon really did shake a mean drink, but that airport strawberry mojito was one of the most refreshing cocktails ever to pass my grateful lips.
A freshly made mojito is still one of my favorite drinks, especially in the summer. Similar to my feelings towards a skinny margarita, when I have a mojito in my hand, I can’t but help but smile with the confidence that bright, sunny times have arrived.
This strawberry mojito recipe follows the standard mojito cocktail formula: muddle lime juice with sugar and mint; stir in rum; top with club soda, with the fresh, fruity addition of blueberries and strawberries.
You could stick with just one fruit (blueberries) or the other (strawberries), but I love the festive, summery look of the two together, as well as the duo of flavor.
With their red, white, and blue hue, these mojitos would also be the perfect drink for Memorial Day and Fourth of July parties.
Thanks to the natural sweetness of the fruit, you can reduce the amount of granulated sugar in the recipe, which in my school of cocktail math, as good as equates these strawberry mojitos to a health food.
Or at least that’s what I’m telling myself when I pour the second round. Cheers!
Tools I used to make this recipe:
Blueberry Strawberry Mojito
An easy recipe for Blueberry Strawberry Mojito cocktails. Refreshing and perfect for any cocktail party, or a red white and blue Fourth of July, Memorial Day, or Labor Day party.
Yield: 1 cocktail
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
- 3 tablespoons fresh blueberries, plus additional for garnish
- 2 fresh strawberries, diced, plus additional for garnish
- 10-15 fresh mint leaves (a small handful), plus additional for garnish
- 1/2 medium lime, juiced (about 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 ounces white rum
- Club soda
- Muddle the blueberries, strawberries, mint, lime juice, and sugar in the bottom of a tall serving glass (a collins glass is traditional), until the sugar is disoved and the berries break down. Add the rum and stir to combine.
- Fill the glass with ice, then top with club soda. Stir to combine, then garnish with additional mint leaves and berries as desired. Enjoy immediately.
Serving Size: 1 cocktail
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 135
- Total Fat: 0g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 7mg
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 9g
- Protein: 1g