Skinny Greek Mac and Cheese with Crispy Pita Chip Topping
I can’t say with any shred of historical accuracy that Skinny Greek Mac and Cheese with Crispy Pita Chip Topping is how Aphrodite seduced every god on Olympus, but I think it’s a reasonable theory.
Think about it: togas are not particularly flattering, goddesses are by definition high maintenance, and Aphrodite didn’t exactly have a reputation for loyalty. Her secret: Skinny Greek Mac and Cheese with Crispy Pita Chip Topping. This glorious pan of bubbly, cheesy noodles piled high with Greek-inspired ingredients—spinach, bell peppers, sundried tomatoes, olives, and feta cheese—would beguile Zeus himself.
Now, you and I might not be able to fire lightening bolts, control the tides, or make it summer 365 days a year (my personal super-power wish du jour), but we CAN channel our inner-almighty and transform a leafy green salad into macaroni and cheese. This is my idea of might.
I adore salads at lunch, but when dinner rolls around, a cold bowl of greens simply doesn’t satisfy me. I crave something warm and hearty to get me through these long winter nights of The Bachelor and The West Wing (I’m on Season 5 and obsessed). Skinny Greek Mac and Cheese with Crispy Pita Chip Topping takes the flavors and ingredients of one of my favorite salads—Greek salad—and loads them into the ultimate comfort food dinner: baked macaroni and cheese.
Staying true the Greek-salad inspiration, I kept this macaroni and cheese lean and mean with a secret ingredient: low-fat cottage cheese. Don’t freak out. The cottage cheese melts beautifully into a creamy sauce, along with cheddar and a heap of tangy feta. It gives the sauce richness and body, without the excess of heavy cream.
Skinny Greek Mac and Cheese with Crispy Pita Chip Topping is also packing vibrant and healthy flavor, thanks to a heap of classic Greek-salad ingredients: bell peppers and red onions, spinach, sundried tomatoes, olives, and feta. This is an Athens-approved party in a pan.
OK, so I lighted up this Greek Mac and Cheese, but that does not mean I’m willing to forgo the crowning glory of any self-respecting baked macaroni and cheese: the crispy crunchy topping. To keep it Greek, I swapped out the typical breadcrumbs for crushed up pita chips, tossed them with a bit of olive oil and oregano, then sprinkled them all over the top. OH MY. That dusting of crushed pita chips is tantamount to Zeus showering his good favor down upon the planet. It is DIVINE. The pita chips are extra crunchy and toasty, the ideal contrast to the creamy-dreamy feta cheese sauce.
Channel your inner god/goddess and bake Skinny Greek Mac and Cheese with Crispy Pita Chip Topping. Aphrodite can keep her fleeting powers of seduction. With this pan of brightly flavored, pita-topped goodness, we have heaven on earth!
Skinny Greek Mac and Cheese with Crunchy Pita Chip Topping
Yield: Serves 6
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 6 cloves)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup crushed pita chips
- 1 10-ounce package frozen spinach, thawed
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes
- 2 cups non-fat milk, divided
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups shredded extra-sharp white Cheddar cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chopped Kalamata olives, sliced
- 12 ounces whole-wheat elbow macaroni, or penne
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, for serving
- In a large sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium. Add the onions and cook until beginning to turn translucent, 5-8 minutes. Add red bell pepper, green bell pepper, and garlic and cook until the peppers are tender, about 8 additional minutes. Add red wine vinegar and cook 2 additional minutes. Set aside.
- Bring large pot of water on to boil. Place rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 3 quart baking dish with cooking spray. (A deep 9x9-inch pan will work as well). Mix breadcrumbs, remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and oregano in a small bowl. Place spinach in a fine-mesh strainer and press out excess moisture. Place sundried tomatoes in a small bowl and cover with boiling water (this will rehydrate the tomatoes.) Set aside.
- In a large, heavy saucepan, heat 1 3/4 cups milk over medium-high heat until steaming (do not boil). In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/4 cup milk and flour until smooth, then add to the hot milk and cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce simmers and thickens, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the cheddar until melted. Stir in cottage cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Cook pasta for 6 minutes, until not quite tender. (It will continue to cook during baking.) Drain pasta, then add to cheese sauce; mix well. Drain the sundried tomatoes, then fold them into the mixture, along with the sautéed onions and peppers, spinach, feta cheese, and olives. Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish, then top with crushed pita chips.
- Bake the casserole until bubbly and golden, 25 to 30 minutes, checking at the 15-minute mark to ensure that the pita chips are not toasting too quickly (if they are, cover the pan with foil and continue baking.) Garnish with chopped parsley and serve warm.
To celebrate the glory of mac and cheese, I’ve teamed up with a stellar group of bloggers for Mac and Cheese Mania. Check out these incredible recipes—I can’t decide which one to try first. (Or second, or third…)
- Jalapeno Popper Mac & Cheese by Heather’s Dish
- Buffalo Cheddar Mac and Cheese by Eats Well With Others
- Creamy Spinach Artichoke Macaroni and Cheese with Gouda by Sarah’s Cucina Bella
- Light Sweet Potato Mac ‘n Cheese Recipe by Cookin’ Canuck
- Macaroni and Cheese Fritters by Amuse Your Bouche
- Skinny Chicken Mac and Cheese Casserole by A Zesty Bite
- Creamy Pancetta + Leek Macaroni and Cheese by Simply Scratch
- Smoked Bacon Mac and Cheese by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Pizza Mac and Cheese by Very Culinary
- Crab Mac and Cheese by Dine & Dish
- Bacon & Eggs Breakfast Mac & Cheese by Sweet Remedy
- Fried Mac & Cheese Balls by The Little Kitchen
- Sweet Pork Macaroni and Cheese by Oh, Sweet Basil
- Butternut Squash Quinoa Mac n’ Cheese Bake by Queen of Quinoa
- Lightened Up Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese by Prevention RD
- Butternut Mac and Cheese with Pretzel Crust by Healthy. Delicious.
- Potato Skin Mac and Cheese by Eat Your Heart Out
- Homestyle Baked Mac & Cheese by Pocket Change Gourmet
- Bacon Mac and Cheese Egg Rolls by Miss in the Kitchen
- Pepper Jack Mac and Cheese by Crunchy Creamy Sweet
- Blue Cheese Bechamel Mac and Cheese by Sweetphi
- Korean Mac & Cheese by Cooking with Books
- Black and Blue Mac and Cheese by Fabtastic Eats
- Tomato and Leek Mac and Cheese by Susie Freaking Homemaker
- Healthier Mac & Cheese with Chipotle Peppers by Go Gingham
- Mac and Cheese Ice Cream by Fat Girl Trapped in a Skinny Body
- Blue Cheese & Bacon Macaroni & Cheese by Gimme Some Oven
- Poutine Mac and Cheese with Andouille Gravy by Climbing Grier Mountain
- Double Smoked Chicken Mac and Cheese by Girl Carnivore
- Creamy Greek Yogurt Mac and Cheese with Peas and Bacon by Running to the Kitchen
- Nudel Gratin by Crumbs and Chaos
- Mushroom and Truffle Sea Salt White Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese by Big Bear’s Wife
- Roasted Poblano and Goat Cheese Mac by Daisy at Home
- Creamy Cauliflower ‘n Cheese with Bacon by Barefeet in the Kitchen
- Wisconsin Cheese, Brats, and Onion Macaroni and Cheese by a farmgirl’s dabbles
- Spinach Queso Mac & Cheese by Bake Your Day
- Roasted Garlic Mac and Cheese with a Pancetta Parmesan Crust by Mountain Mama Cooks
- French Onion Mac & Cheese by Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Healthier Macaroni and Cheese by Texanerin Baking
- Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese by CafeTerraBlog
- Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Peppers by Cook the Story
- Jack Daniels Mac and Cheese by The Slow Roasted Italian
- Lobster Mac and Cheese by FoodieCrush
- Green Chili 5-cheese Baked Mac and Cheese by A Southern Fairytale
- Homemade Elbow Noodle Tutorial + a Recipe for Roasted Veggie Mac by Bakeaholic Mama
- Salsa Verde Mac-n-Cheese (two ways) by Eat2Gather
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese with Crispy Panko Topping by The Lemon Bowl