Asian Ginger Sesame Roasted Vegetable Pasta
Bonjour tout le monde! My French has noticeably improved since we first landed (or so I tell myself after a glass of wine), but I can’t believe that this is our last week in France. We decided to book an impromptu two-day trip to Brittany, a region celebrated for its butter, seafood, and crepes (um, how could we not go?), then will be in Paris for the rest of our trip. The next few days are sure to be tearful ones as I bid adieu to little cafes that didn’t realize they were mine and attempt to squeeze in as many macarons and croissants as my tummy will allow.
If you are visiting TLSW for the first time in a while, Ben and I are currently on a four-week travel-spree in France. While we are away, an incredibly talented group of bloggers whom I am also blessed to call friends are guest-posting to keep fresh recipes coming your way. Today’s guest poster is one of my first blogging friends and a former (weekend) roomie, Cassie of Bake Your Day.
From the moment I saw Cassie’s blog, I knew we were going to be friends. For one, she has an incredibly impressive collection of creative grilled cheese recipes: Fajita Grilled Cheese; Truffle Fry Grilled Cheese; Spicy Hawaiian Pizza Grilled Cheese, just to name a few. For two, THIS. Aren’t you just in love with her already?
In addition to making unfussy, yet undeniably tasty and creative recipes, Cassie is an absolute sweetheart and one of the most generous people I know. We met in real life for the first time this May when we were roomies at the BlogHer Food conference. Yep, we’d never met in person and decided to split a hotel room, shuttle, and be brand party buddies. Best decision ever.
Here is to share her recipe for Asian Ginger and Sesame Roasted Vegetable Pasta is Cassie. I cannot wait to try this one when we get back!
Hey, hey, The Law Student’s Wife readers! Cassie here from Bake Your Day and I’m so excited to be helping Erin out while she is eating her way through France. Can you say “jealous”?
So anyway, let me tell you a few things about myself: I would choose licorice over M&M’s any day; I can and often do eat popcorn as dinner; I can and do eat avocado from the shell with a spoon and a little salt; I love a good IPA but in the summer I crave mojitos and I am a margarita girl at heart; I eat way too many eggs; My #1 condiment of choice is soy sauce.
Yes, soy sauce. And not just in Asian cooking, although that’s where we are headed today, but in all kinds of cooking. I throw a few dashes in my black bean burgers, in meatloaf, and I even used to eat it on scrambled eggs. Don’t bash it until you try it!
Asian food is at the top of my “favorites” list and I’m always playing around with the flavors. We probably have fried rice or some kind of stir fry once weekly. My husband has actually resorted to rolling his eyes when I suggest we have stir fry! Recently I picked up some beautiful ahi tuna for dinner and was trying to think of a unique side dish for the tuna when I remembered a roasted veggie pasta that I made a while back. So I decided to put a sesame-soy-ginger twist on it and I couldn’t have loved this pasta more.
The absolute beauty of a recipe like this is that you can use ANY veggies you have on hand – it’s a great “clean out the fridge” dish because you can chop up any and every vegetable, toss them together, roast them, toss them with pasta and done. You won’t be sorry!
Asian Ginger Sesame Roasted Vegetable Pasta
A vibrant, healthy pasta filled with roasted veggies and an Asian twist. Feel free to use any vegetables you have on hand.
Yield: Serves 4
Total Time: 30 minutes
For the roasted veggies: (see note below)
- 1 cup broccoli florets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed & halved
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup red onion, cut into chunks
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 one-inch piece of fresh ginger, grated (or 2 tsp. dried ginger)
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the pasta
- 12 ounces pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (more or less to taste)
- 1 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Combine all of the veggies + garlic & ginger on a 10×15 rimmed baking sheet. Add the olive oil and sesame oil, along with salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly to disperse the oils and seasonings. Roast for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through, until the vegetables are tender. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain the pasta and add it back to the pan over medium-low heat. Add the roasted vegetables, additional oil, soy sauce, sesame oil, and additional ginger Stir and cook until heated through and add salt & pepper to taste.
Feel free to use any mixture of veggies you like.
Did you try this recipe? I want to see! Follow Well Plated on Instagram, snap a photo, and tag it #wellplated. I love to know what you are making!