I motion that we drop the classic pancake breakfast in bed in favor of Blueberry Coconut French Toast Bake in a hammock.
While the thoughtful, doting expression of love that’s behind breakfast in bed appeals to me, its logistics and execution do not. Crumbs on my nightgown (and by “nightgown” I mean the scrubby but well-loved college t-shirts I still wear to bed) and coffee drips on my pillow? No thanks. I’ll take a slice of this summery baked French toast casserole on my porch in a hammock, if possible. Any maple syrup drips are for the birds. And the deer.
Overnight French toast bakes are one of my all-time favorite breakfast and brunch dishes, because all of the work is completed the night before. This is a one-bowl, single-pan operation, and the only step required the morning-of is to pop it into the oven. Whenever I make overnight French toast, I almost feel as if I have my own personal chef. My typical French toast bake routine is to assemble it while I’m half asleep on Friday around midnight. By the time I wake up and have it in the oven on Saturday, I can easily trick myself into believing that someone else did the work. Ignoring the dishes in the sink enhances the experience.
About Healthy Blueberry French Toast with Coconut
Blueberry coconut French toast has all of the usual suspects—the crusty baguette, the warm cinnamon, the custardy eggs—with a few summery additions. In place of regular milk, I used light coconut milk, which gives the French toast bake an extra decadent, creamy texture and subtle coconut flavor.
Shredded coconut is on scene for double duty: first, it’s folded into the custard, adding lovely sweetness and tropical flare, then it’s sprinkled over the top, where it becomes toasty and golden in the oven.
Finally, a shower of plump blueberries (either fresh or frozen will do nicely) give every bite of this coconut French toast the flavor of a sunny summer morning.
Mother’s Day is this Sunday, so don’t forget to pick up a card, make your bed (because if your mom is anything like mine, she said so), and call one woman in your life who you look up to and admire, whether that’s your mom, grandma, great aunt, or a close friend. To be extra sweet, you could even make her a pan of this overnight blueberry coconut French toast bake.
What to Serve with Blueberry Coconut French Toast
- Bacon. A side of Oven Baked Bacon will please everyone at your table.
- Hash Browns. Pair this French toast with Sweet Potato Hash Browns for a hearty breakfast.
- Breakfast Potatoes. Serve Crockpot Breakfast Potatoes with blueberry french toast for a crowd-pleasing meal.
More Delightful French Toast Recipes
- Overnight French Toast
- Bostock with Lemon and Almonds
- Pumpkin French Toast
- Blueberry French Toast with Lemon
- Overnight Cinnamon Swirl French Toast
Where you serve it to her (bed, hammock, an actual kitchen table), I’ll leave up to your discretion.
Blueberry Coconut French Toast Bake
- 1 baguette (10 ounces) or sourdough, challah, or similar bread (see notes if your bread is fresh)
- 3/4 cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- 6 large eggs
- 1 can light coconut milk (14 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup light brown
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut divided
- If your bread is fresh or not very dry, toast it in the oven first to ensure it soaks up the egg mixture. Position two racks in the upper and lower thirds of your oven, and preheat your oven to 300 degrees F. Spread your bread cubes in a single layer on two baking sheets. Bake for about 15 minutes, until toasty and brown. Add them to the recipe as directed.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.Register
I am sharing this post in partnership with Imperial Sugar. Thanks for supporting the brands and companies who make it possible for me to provide quality content to you!