Bourbon Butterscotch Blondies and Chocolate Coconut Rum Cupcakes
All of 4.5 weeks into my return to the working world, and I’m ready for a vacation. The fact that those 4.5 weeks contained a holiday—a holiday that had the nerve to fall awkwardly on a Wednesday, thus negating all productivity on both ends of the week—does not reflect positively on my employment stamina. Current PTO (paid time off) balance: three hours. Time to embrace reality and polish my pumps; I’ll be wearing them for the foreseeable future.
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 c. (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 c. sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 c. + 1 tsp. coconut rum
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 4 oz. (1/2 block) cream cheese (regular or light)
- 1/4 c. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 c. + 3T powdered sugar
- 1 T. heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 T. coconut rum
- 1/4 c. shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
- 1/2 c. shredded coconut for additional topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, sift together cocoa power, flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in vanilla and 1 tsp. coconut rum.
- With mixer on low speed, add half of flour mixture. Mix in sour cream. Add remaining flour mixture.
- Pour or scoop batter into cups (liners should be about 3/4 full). Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While cupcakes are still in tin, poke holes in the tops with a fork or skewer. With a pastry bush or small spoon, gently brush remaining 1/4 c. coconut rum onto top of cupcakes. Remove from pan and place on wire rack to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Gradually add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, alternating with heavy cream. Beat in remaining ingredients and continue to mix until frosting is smooth and spreadable.
- Frost cupcakes. Top with additional shredded coconut, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter an 8×8 in. pan.
- Place pecans in a small skillet on low heat. Toast, stirring occasionally until nutty and fragrant–a few minutes or so.
- Mix melted butter with brown sugar. Beat until smooth. Beat in egg, vanilla, and bourbon.
- Add salt. Stir in flour by hand. Stir in nuts, chocolate chips, and butterscotch chips.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until set in the middle. It may still be a little gooey–no one will complain.
- Cool on a wire rack before cutting.
This post contains some affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.