Crispy Baked Apple Chips. Simple oven recipe with just cinnamon and apples, no sugar or dehydrator! Easy, healthy, and so much better than store bought.
— crisp apples, such as Honeycrisp, Fuji, Jazz, or Pink Lady
Place racks in the upper and lower thirds of your oven and preheat your oven to 200 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
Wash the apples. With an apple corer, very small cookie cutter, or the round side of a metal piping tip, core the apples (you can also skip this step if you don't mind a few seeds in the chips). With a mandolin (recommended) or a very sharp knife, slice the apples horizontally into 1/8 inch-thick rounds.
Arrange the apples in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake for 1 hour in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Remove the baking sheets and switch the pans' position on the upper and lower racks. Continue baking for 1 to 1 1/2 additional hours, until a single apple chip removed from the oven is crisp when set out at room temperature for 2 to 3 minutes (to test the apple chips, remove a single apple slice but let the others continue baking). Once you are happy with the crispness (the total time will vary based on the thickness of your slice and the type of apple), turn off the oven and let the apples sit in the oven for 1 hour as it cools down to crisp further (unless you fear you overcooked them, in which case remove the pan immediately and let it sit at room temperature).
- Thin slices are best! If you slice the apples more than 1/8 inch thick, they will still be delicious, but they won't be crisp.
- The color of the final apple chip will vary based on the type of apple. Crisper apples tend to be lighter, while softer, sweeter apples tend to be darker.
- The total cooking time will vary based upon the moisture content of your apples.
- Store baked apple chips in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- Favorite ways to enjoy these: Chopped and sprinkled over yogurt with granola, on top of salads, on top of oatmeal, and, of course, right out of the container!
Apple Chips, Easy Snack Recipe
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1 (of 6), about 1/2 cup) — Calories: 65, Sodium: 2mg, Carbohydrates: 18g, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 11g