Easy Vegan Apple Crisp. Healthy apple crisp made with coconut oil, maple syrup, juicy apples, and lots of warm spices. Simple, gluten free, and DELICIOUS.
For the Apple Filling:
large crisp apples
— (about 2 pounds; I like a mix of sweet and tart, such as Honeycrisp and Granny Smith)
reduced-sugar dried cranberries
pure maple syrup
— or honey if the crisp does not need to be vegan
Zest of 1 lemon
freshly squeezed lemon juice
— it's an amazing flavor upgrade to grate your own nutmeg. I use this zester to do it.
Place a rack in the center of your oven, then preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Peel and core the apples, then cut them into 1-inch chunks.
In the bottom of a 9x9-inch baking dish or other 2-quart casserole dish, mix together the apples, cranberries, maple syrup, cornstarch, lemon zest, lemon juice, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, prepare the topping: Stir together the oats, nuts, almond meal, coconut, cinnamon, and salt. Drizzle the oil and maple syrup over the top, then use a spatula to combine until the dry ingredients are evenly moistened. Sprinkle the topping over the filling.
Bake the crisp for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling and the top is golden. Check at the 30-minute mark—if the crisp starts browning too quickly, lightly tent it with foil, then continue baking as directed. Let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve warm, topped with vanilla ice cream or Greek yogurt (dairy free if needed).
- *I prefer rolled oats over quick oats because they have a better, crunchier texture. Quick oats will lead to a mushier topping.
- **To make your own almond meal, pulse whole, raw almonds in the food processor until they form fine crumbs. Do not overprocess or you will have almond butter instead.
- *** I prefer unsweetened coconut in this recipe to keep it naturally sweet, but the recipe will also work with sweetened flaked coconut (also called baker's coconut).
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
- The crisp can be prepped up until the point where it goes into the oven 1 day ahead. Cover tightly and store in the refrigerator. When ready to bake, let stand at room temperature 30 minutes, uncover, then bake as directed.
Easy Dessert Recipe, Vegan Apple Crisp, Vegan Gluten-Free Dessert
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1 (of 8)) — Calories: 315, Fat: 18g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Sodium: 39mg, Carbohydrates: 33g, Fiber: 8g, Sugar: 23g, Protein: 4g