Spicy Shrimp Guacamole Bites
The Green Bay Packers and Spicy Shrimp Guacamole Bites usurped my Sunday date night.
It’s a good thing Aaron Rodgers is so dreamy and these creamy, crunchy bites are so addictive, or I might actually object.
Sundays are my favorite day of the week to cook, and I enjoy directing my creative energy towards making a nice dinner for Ben and myself. I sleep in, peruse my cookbooks over coffee, then pick a new recipe to try that night. The TV stays off, the wine is open, and for those moments around the table, I almost forget that a new workweek is about to begin.
Unless the Packers are playing, in which case the TV is on full volume and all food must be tailgate-approved. The Packers face the Broncos tonight, and when I suggested that we make sole meuniere for dinner, Ben responded that Papa John’s would feel more appropriate. Admittedly, the man has a point. Coq au vin and quarterback blitezs are an odd combination.
Football food is a special category of its own and is certainly worthy of celebration, so I don’t mind directing my Sunday culinary efforts towards game-day fare, especially when it’s as tasty as these Spicy Shrimp Guacamole Bites.
A combination of juicy roasted shrimp, spicy guacamole, and salty tortilla chips, these Spicy Shrimp Guacamole Bites are both simple to make and impossible to stop eating. My secret to quick and easy prep is Sabra Spicy Guacamole. It tastes incredibly fresh, and the homemade flavor is so spot-on, Ben once entered it into a workplace dip contest and made it into the top three. (For those who are sensitive to spice, Sabra makes a classic version too.) The classic guacamole is also available in individual guacamole packs, which are perfect for on-the-go snacking, and you can serve any of the guacs with chips and veggie at your next party.
Since the Sabra Spicy Guacamole already has excellent flavor on its own, this recipe needs very little added to it. I stirred the guacamole together with some fresh lime juice to keep it from turning brown, but we ate the spicy shrimp bites so quickly, I probably didn’t need to be concerned.
The shrimp roast in less than 10 minutes, a sprinkle of fresh cilantro and crumbled feta add brightness and color, and the creamy guacamole contrasts perfectly with the crunchy tortilla chips. The entire recipe is ready in less than 30 minutes and is guaranteed to please. Now THAT is my idea of a Sunday night.
Spicy Shrimp Guacamole Bites
Spicy Shrimp Guacamole Bites are the perfect appetizer recipe for any party! Tortilla chips topped with guacamole and juicy roasted shrimp.
Yield: 24 bites
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 3/4 pound raw small (60-80 count) shrimp peeled, deveined, tails off, about 24 shrimp total (I bought mine frozen, then thawed them in a bowl of warm water.)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup prepared guacamole (Sabra Spicy or Classic)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, plus additional for garnish
- Bite-sized round corn tortilla chips
- Crumbled feta cheese or queso fresco, for serving
- Place a rack in the center of your oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the shrimp in a large mixing bowl, drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle with chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and kosher salt. Toss to coat, then spread the shrimp on in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Roast for 4 to 6 minutes, just until the shrimp are opaque and cooked through (do not over cook, or the shrimp will be chewy). Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the guacamole with the lime juice and 1 tablespoon cilantro.
- To assemble the bites: Top each tortilla chip with a spoonful of the guacamole and a roasted shrimp. Garnish with additional fresh cilantro and cheese. Serve at room temperature.
I’m sharing this post in partnership with Sabra. Thanks for supporting the brands and companies that make it possible for me to provide high quality content to you!