Bring the bistro experience home with Air Fryer Steak! Seared outside, juicy inside, and fast, air fried steak is astonishingly easy and tastes phenomenal. It changed the way we cook steak at home!
This recipe is sponsored by ButcherBox.
We spent a few weeks in France earlier this month, a country I love and visit often.
One dish I make a point to order every time is steak frites (steak and fries).
It is a French classic you’ll find on just about any bistro menu.
On the “frites” side of the equation, we’ve previously discussed the magic of Air Fryer French Fries (soooo crispy).
Now, we’re completing our plat with air fryer steak.
- High heat is the best for cooking steak, because the less time it spends cooking, the more tender it will be. That makes the air fryer GREAT for cooking steak.
- The air fryer cooks food by blowing intensely hot air down and around it—an ideal way to make juicy, tender steak that will have your family oohing and ahhing.
As the French will be the first to tell you, the key to great-tasting steak flavor is the steak’s quality (and not overcooking it, but we’ll get to that).
For the last several months, we’ve been getting our meat from ButcherBox, a meat delivery service that delivers high-quality, sustainable, and humanely-raised beef, chicken, pork, and best cuts of steak right to our door.
The meat you use makes a difference!
I put the bonus ribeyes to immediate use cooking today’s air fryer steak recipe.
It, along with a batch of Homemade French Fries and a pat of melting garlic herb butter on top, transported us right back to France!
How to Cook the Best Air Fryer Steak
The intensity of the air fryer makes it ideal for cooking steaks.
It cooks the meat quickly and evenly, before it dries out.
How long to cook steak in the air fryer will vary based upon the thickness of your steak and how done you would like it to be.
- Air fryer steak medium-rare needs 6 to 8 minutes for 1-inch steaks.
- If your steak is thicker or thinner, add or subtract time accordingly. For example, a ¾-inch thick ribeye I air fried was medium-rare in 4 minutes. It’s FAST!
Air Fryer Steak Temps and Times
Below are steak temperatures and air fryer cook times at 400 degrees F.
IMPORTANT: Remove the steak 5 degrees earlier than what is listed below, as the steak’s temperature will rise as it rests.
- Rare: 125 degrees F – 4 to 6 minutes
- Medium-Rare Steaks: 135 degrees F – 6 to 8 minutes
- Medium: 145 degrees F – 8 to 10 minutes
- Medium-Well: 155 degrees F – 10 to 12 minutes (please don’t do this)
- Well Done: 160 degrees F – 12 to 14 minutes (definitely don’t do this)
Fun fact: many French bistros will not cook a steak past medium-rare.
They feel strongly that any medium steak or above is not how steak should be served, nor is it the taste they want their cooking to reflect.
Learn from their wisdom. Check your meat early and DO NOT overcook your steak!
- Steak. This air fryer steak is perfect! It’s tender, juicy, and so flavorful. Steak is also an excellent source of protein, iron, and zinc.
- Olive Oil. A little is all you need to ensure the steak develops a nice crust-like exterior.
- Salt + Pepper. All a good steak needs to taste its best.
- Herb Butter. I cannot overstate how DELISH this homemade herb butter is! While it’s a completely optional addition, I highly recommend giving it a try. It will take your steaks to the next level!
- Let the steaks come to room temperature, then pat dry. Brush both sides with oil, and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Air fry steaks at 400 degrees F, until you reach your desired doneness. For medium-rare, start checking at 5 to 6 minutes.
- Flip the steaks halfway through cooking in the air fryer basket. Let the steaks rest on a plate.
- Prepare the herb garlic butter (if using). Top the steak with the butter and ENJOY!
- To Store. Refrigerate leftover steak in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
- To Reheat. Gently rewarm leftovers on a baking sheet in the oven at 350 degrees F or in a skillet. It can also be reheated in the microwave in a pinch.
- To Freeze. (Not ideal but you can freeze steak.) Freeze steak in an airtight, freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Meal Prep Tip
Up to 1 day in advance, prepare the herb butter as directed. Refrigerate it until you’re ready to use it for your steaks.
Frequently Asked Questions
Leftover steak makes a fabulous addition to pasta recipes, rice dishes, salads, or sandwiches. Try it with one of these tasty recipes: Garlic Pasta, Mushroom Risotto, Grilled Steak Salad (swap this air fryer steak for the grilled steak), or a Steak Sandwich.
If you’d like to slice your steak before serving (it makes for a beautiful presentation), make sure you let it rest for at least 10 minutes first. Then, cut against the grain at a slight angle for juicy, tender slices.
There are endless amounts of side dishes that pair well with steak. We love serving ours with classic pairings like salad, French fries, Crockpot Mashed Potatoes, Roasted Fingering Potatoes, Roasted Broccolini, Grilled Corn, Air Fryer Asparagus, Baked Potato, or Adult Mac and Cheese. You can find even more vegetables and other options in my side dish section.
Air Fryer Steak
For the Steak:
- 2 1-inch thick ribeye, sirloin, or New York strip steaks about 2 pounds
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt*
- 1 1/4 teaspoons freshly cracked or ground black pepper*
For the Herb Butter (Optional):
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter softened slightly
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot or chives
- 1 small clove garlic minced or grated
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice or red wine vinegar
- Chopped fresh herbs: thyme, tarragon, parsley, rosemary… whatever you love or have on hand (a pinch of thyme is my favorite)
- 30 minutes prior to cooking, remove the steak from the refrigerator. Let come to room temperature (this is critical for properly cooked steak).
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Immediately before cooking, pat the steaks dry. Brush both sides of the steaks with olive oil. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper (or steak seasoning of choice).
- For medium-rare, air fry the steaks for 6 to 8 (for 1-inch steaks) until the steak reaches 130 degrees F on an instant read meat thermometer. For medium, air fry 10 to 12 minutes (to 140 degrees F).
- Flip the steaks once halfway through. If your steaks are thicker than 1-inch, add an additional 1 to 3 minutes; if they are thinner, start checking as early as 4 minutes just to be safe. Every air fryer model is different and they cook food fast, so check early to ensure you do not overcook your steak). Transfer the steak to a plate, loosely cover, and let rest at least 10 minutes.
- While the steak is cooking, prepare the herb butter: in a small bowl, mash together the butter, shallot, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and herbs. After the steak has rested, top with butter just before serving.
- Below are steak temperatures. Remove 5 degrees early, as the temperature will rise as it rests.
- Rare: 125°F
- Medium-Rare: 135°F
- Medium: 145°F
- Medium Well: 155°F
- Well Done: 160°F
- *You also can swap the salt and pepper for steak seasoning, such as Montreal steak seasoning, or your favorite blend. Check your seasoning package for suggested quantities, as each is different.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate steak in an airtight storage container for up to 2 days.
- TO REHEAT: Gently rewarm leftovers on a baking sheet in the oven at 350 degrees F. It can also be reheated in the microwave in a pinch.
- TO FREEZE: Already cooked steak tends to dry out when frozen and reheated. That said, if you must freeze it, use an airtight freezer-safe storage container and freeze for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.Register
I am sharing this post in partnership with ButcherBox. As always, all opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands and companies that make it possible for me to continue to create quality content for you!