One Skillet Spicy Ranch Chicken
When a dinner emergency strikes, I vote we shine a Batman bat light-inspired distress signal in the air. In place of a bat, the light will illuminate the silhouette of a cast iron skillet, and in place of the cape-clad superhero One Skillet Spicy Ranch Chicken will come to the rescue.
One-skillet meals are dinner saviors, and over the past few weeks, my cast-iron skillet and I have been quite the dynamic duo. Besides keeping dishes to a minimum and intruders at bay (the sign I posted outside our door that reads “BEWARE OF HEAVY SKILLET” must have deterred at least one burglar), my cast iron skillet and I have created several tasty skillet meals (and treats!) that I’m excited to share with you. First up: One Skillet Spicy Ranch Chicken. It’s lightly spicy, ridiculously easy, cheesy, and loaded with southwestern-inspired goodies.
Confession: I didn’t actually post a “BEWARE OF HEAVY SKILLET” sign, but if anyone has, you are my new favorite person.
One Skillet Spicy Ranch Chicken begins with diced boneless, skinless chicken breast that we sauté with olive oil, onion, and a packet of Hidden Valley Spicy Ranch Dressing Mix. This little packet is popping with flavor, and it’s all we need to give our One Skillet Spicy Ranch Chicken big-time taste. It combines classic ranch with an extra kick of red pepper, and it’s a perfect match for classic southwest ingredients. I didn’t touch a measuring spoon the entire time I made this One Skillet Spicy Ranch Chicken—this pouch of shebang had everything I needed.
To our Spicy Ranch Chicken, we add vibrant red and green bell peppers, black beans, fire roasted diced tomatoes, and instant brown rice. Stir it all together, let simmer 10 minutes, and dinner is served. All our One Skillet Spicy Ranch Chicken needs to reach perfection is a sprinkling of cheddar cheese and cilantro.
I found the level of spice in One Skillet Spicy Ranch Chicken to be just right—lightly spicy without masking the flavor of other ingredients. If you are sensitive to spice, you can swap the Spicy Ranch Mix for the Original Ranch flavor, then add a few red pepper flakes to increase the spiciness to your desired level. One Skillet Spicy Ranch Chicken is fabulous with gooey cheese and fresh cilantro alone, but feel free to go big with sour cream and salsa, or spoon the skillet into a tortilla and serve it giant burrito-style. We tried (and loved) both of these twists.
The next time you are looking for a quick, healthy meal that’s sure to please, raise your skillet in the air and let One Skillet Spicy Ranch Chicken come to the rescue. An easy, cheesy, one-pot meal packed with southwestern flavor and healthy goodness? My hero!
One Skillet Spicy Ranch Chicken
A healthy, easy one-skillet dinner that is ready in 20 minutes flat! With chicken, black beans, and southwest ranch flavor, this recipe is sure to become a family favorite.
Yield: Serves 4-6
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 yellow or red onion, chopped
- 1 packet Hidden Valley Spicy Ranch Mix (NOT ranch dip mix)
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup freshly grated cheddar cheese, for serving
- Cilantro, for serving
- Heat olive oil in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken, onions, and ranch mix. Sauté, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in red bell pepper, green bell pepper, black beans, tomatoes, rice, and chicken stock. Bring to boil, then cover. Simmer on low heat 5 minutes, or until chicken is done and rice is nearly tender. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes, until liquid is absorbed. Serve topped with cheese and cilantro.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Hidden Valley Ranch. As always, all opinions are my own.
Love ranch? For more tasty ranch recipes, visit www.hiddenvalley.com.
Craving more simple skillet meals? Try a few of these easy ideas:
- Quick Garlic Pasta with Parmesan
- 20-Minute Healthy Ricotta Pasta
- Easy Tofu Curry
- Hot and Sour Noodle Stir Fry with Peanut Chicken
Hot and Sour Noodle Stir Fry with Peanut Chicken Next Post »
Brown Butter Churro Crispy Treats