Crockpot White Chicken Chili
Crockpot white chicken chili is the easiest way to make chili, because the slow cooker does the cooking. This white chicken chili is healthy comfort food and one of the best crock pot recipes for a chili recipe contest!
When someone at a dinner party asks me about the sorts of activities I enjoy, I assume that “feeling productive” probably won’t do much to further the conversation, so I usually opt for the more normal “traveling” and “cooking.” While traveling and cooking are certainly two of my greatest joys, between you and me, I love an old fashioned ticking off of the to-do list too. Thus, in addition to prizing this Crockpot White Chicken Chili for its easy prep, creamy texture, and healthy ingredients, I also appreciate that it allows me to work on something else while it cooks.
Either by circumstance or by design, our lives our busy. As much as I cherish spending time in the kitchen, some nights, it is a relief to have easy, delicious, and hands-off recipes like this healthy Crockpot White Chicken Chili to help me do more in less time. Do you know the feeling? I think you do.
Crockpot White Chicken Chili Is EASY
This is one of those beautiful dump-and-go crock pot chili recipes. It’s ultra cozy and guaranteed to help you make the most of any afternoon or evening. Be it a quiet family dinner, rowdy game day party you are hosting, or simply a night when you need to tackle your to-do list with gusto, this slow cooker recipe will give you reprieve. (Just like this Crock Pot Chicken and Rice!)
Ironically enough, I’m actually sharing this productivity-friendly chili while on a beachy vacation, where I hope I am allowing myself a much-needed break. The last few weeks have been a complete whirlwind of travel, attempting to stay caught up on work in between said travel, and side projects, with some life maintenance (laundry, dishes, our scary-tall stack of loose mail) squeezed in between. I’m looking forward to unplugging for a few days, then returning refreshed, reenergized, and ready for a big, yummy bowl of this Crock Pot White Chicken Chili.
The base recipe for this healthy and easy white chicken chili recipe is simple: white beans (I used Great Northern), chicken breasts, green chiles, and cumin.
The flavor is mild, so be sure to gussy it up with plenty of toppings. The reigning favorites in our house are sliced avocado, plain Greek yogurt (my go-to replacement for sour cream), and shredded cheese (because chili with cheese > chili without).
How to Make White Chicken Chili Spicier
Since the chili isn’t spicy, if you’d like it to have a bit of a kick, I recommend adding a few jalapeno slices too. Of course, you could also make a batch of spicy Instant Pot Chili to serve along with the white chicken chili. Have a chili buffet!
If you like your chili on the thick and hearty side, I recommend waiting to add most of the chicken stock until the end. You can always thin it out later, but the reverse is much trickier.
My other tip to make the Crockpot White Chicken Chili nice and rich is to blend part of the beans with an immersion blender prior to serving. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can place a few ladlefuls in a food processor or blender.
Crockpot White Chicken Chili
Cheesy Crockpot White Chicken Chili. Not too spicy with TONS of flavor. Healthy, easy recipe, and your slow cooker does all the work!
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 to 3 hours (on high); 4 to 6 hours (on low)
Total Time: 2 to 3 hours (on high); 4 to 6 hours (on low)
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 to 3 breasts)
- 4 cups (32 ounces) low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 (15-ounce) cans reduced-sodium white beans, such as white kidney beans, cannellini, or Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (4.5-ounce) cans diced green chiles
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small (or 1/2 large) yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Fresh lime wedges
- For serving (the toppings add important flavor, so LOAD IT UP!): diced jalapeno, diced avocado, nonfat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips
- Place chicken in the bottom of a 6-quart or larger slow cooker (I use this one). Top with the chicken broth, white beans, green chiles, garlic, onion, cumin, oregano, salt, and cayenne. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or high for 2 to 4 hours, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken breasts to a plate. Once cool enough to handle, shred and set aside.
- With an immersion blender, puree a portion of the chili to thicken it, leaving some of the beans whole. (You can also transfer a few ladlefuls of the chili to a food processor and roughly blend, then stir the blended portion back into the chili.) Stir in the shredded chicken and cilantro. Portion into bowls and top with a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Add any other desired toppings and enjoy.
- Know thy slow cooker! If yours cooks exceptionally quickly, be sure to watch the cooking time carefully and check it early, as chicken breasts more easily dry out in the crock pot. My chicken was ready on high after 2 1/2 hours.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 2 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
Serving Size: 1 of 6 (without toppings)
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 288
- Total Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 47mg
- Sodium: 450mg
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 7g
- Sugar: 2g
- Protein: 32g
Did you try this recipe? I want to see! Follow Well Plated on Instagram, snap a photo, and tag it #wellplated. I love to know what you are making!
This post contains some affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.