Sit down, rest yourself a moment, and settle in with a bowl of Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup. It won’t demand much from you—just a quick 15 minutes of ingredient prep—and you’ll be rewarded by soul-soothing spoonfuls of nourishing, healthy goodness.
Instant Pot creamy chicken noodle soup is a recipe to revitalize your spirits.
If you’re feeling run down, it will give you comfort and respite.
If you are feeling optimistic, it will keep your momentum strong.
If you’re somewhere in between, it will tip the scale in your favor.
Its breezy 15-minute prep time means we can spend less time cooking and more time doing the things we love.
Though the activities that fill your day may look different than mine, let this Instant Pot chicken vegetable soup be there for you at the end of it too.
In the flavor department, this soup is full-on classic jut like my original Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup recipe.
It’s clean, cozy, and the kind of thing I like to eat when I want my dinner to give me a hug.
Thyme and bayleaves make this soup stand out above other run-of-the-mill chicken noodle soup recipes you may have tried, as does the method of pressure cooking.
Plus, just like my top-rated Crock Pot Chicken Noodle Soup, this soup tastes wonderful leftover.
Make it once, and enjoy having a healthy, soul-soothing meal on hand whenever you need it.
How Do You Pressure Cook Chicken Noodle Soup?
The Instant Pot (here is the model I own and love), makes this soup incredibly weeknight friendly, because every element of it from the veggies, to the chicken, to the noodles cooks in the Instant Pot from start to finish.
It’s deeply comforting in the way only a chicken noodle soup can be. Its wholesome lineup of ingredients make it healthy enough to enjoy on repeat.
If you want to make chicken noodle soup from scratch the easy way, you’ve come to the right place!
- Bone-In Chicken. I elected to make this Instant Pot chicken noodle soup with chicken breasts, though you can swap thighs if you prefer. My one pinky-out directive is that you use bone-in chicken breasts or thighs. Not only is bone-in chicken more tender, but the bones themselves help to flavor the broth, making this recipe the best Instant Pot chicken noodle soup with chicken breasts (or thighs) that you’ll try.
- I have not tried making this as an Instant Pot whole chicken noodle soup yet, but I suspect that it would be delicious and if you decide to try, I’d love to hear how it goes!
- Mirepoix. The trinity of chicken noodle soup goodness! Onions, carrots, and celery are always a delicious trio, and they bring Vitamin-A, Vitamin-C, and antioxidants to the soup.
- Seasonings. A combination of pepper, salt, dried oregano, fresh thyme, and bay leaf added just the right amount of flavor to this soup. Make sure you use fresh thyme here (it’s worth it).
- Chicken Broth. The flavorful liquid base for our soup.
- Egg Noodles. The chicken noodle soup classic! I used whole wheat egg noodles for a nutritional boost.
- Sauté the veggies in the Instant Pot. I like to use a mix of butter and olive oil, though you can use all of one or all of the other if you prefer.
- Add in the herbs, seasonings, and water. Place the chicken pieces on top.
- Close and cook. Once the Instant Pot comes to pressure, cook for 10 minutes, then let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Open, remove and shred the chicken, and stir in the uncooked noodles.
- Five minutes later, the noodles will be perfectly al dente, the chicken juicy, and your soup ready to serve. ENJOY!
Alternative Methods for Cooking the Chicken
You can make this Instant Pot chicken noodle soup with rotisserie chicken that you already have on hand, or you can use your own pre-cooked shredded chicken. Your broth won’t be as flavorful, but it’s a speedy choice.
- To Use Rotisserie Chicken. Omit the bone-in chicken from the recipe, then stir the cooked, shredded chicken into the soup at the very end.
- To Prepare Shredded Chicken in Advance. Great for stirring into soup or for any other recipe. See my guides for How to Cook Shredded Chicken (stovetop), Instant Pot Chicken (this is a great way to make Instant Pot chicken noodle soup with frozen chicken), or Crock Pot Shredded Chicken.
Make Ahead + Storage Tips
- To Make Ahead. Chop your mirepoix ingredients up to 1 day in advance, and store them in an airtight storage container in the refrigerator.
- To Store. Place cooked and cooled soup in an airtight storage container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm soup gently in a medium saucepan on the stove over medium-low heat until hot. You can also reheat the chicken soup in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave.
- To Freeze. Store soup in an airtight freezer-safe storage container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
What to Serve with Chicken Noodle Soup
- Salad. This Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad would be delicious served with healthy Instant Pot chicken soup recipes like this one.
- Bread. A crusty loaf of bread is soup’s best friend. This Crock Pot Bread would also be tasty. For a gluten free option, check out this Almond Flour Bread.
- Vegetables. Add more veggies to your meal by serving this soup with a side of Roasted Brussels Sprouts.
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup with Spinach. At the end of cooking, stir in 4 ounces (about 4 or so big handfuls) of chopped baby spinach leaves until wilted.
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup with Lemon. Stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons of lemon juice into your soup at the very end of cooking for a bright pop of flavor. You’ll also love this Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup.
- Gluten Free Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup. Swap the egg noodles for gluten free noodles. Since gluten free noodles cook quickly and can become gummy, I recommend preparing them separately, then stirring them into the whole pot (or even individual servings) at the end.
More Cozy Instant Pot Soups
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup
- Instant Pot Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Carrot Soup with Ginger
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Instant Pot French Onion Soup
Recommended Tools to Make Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot. Perfect for this soup and any of my other healthy Instant Pot recipes.
- Ladle. Ideal for serving the soup and transferring it to storage containers.
- Chef’s Knife. A nice, sharp knife makes prepping ingredients easy.
No matter how you’re feeling right now, a bowl of this wholesome, heart-warming chicken noodle soup is here for you. I hope it’s just the healthy dinner/hug-in-a-bowl you’re craving.
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts, thighs, or a mix
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 pound carrots peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick diagonal slices
- 3 medium stalks celery cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt plus additional to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water plus additional as needed
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked whole wheat egg noodles about 3 3/4 ounces
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Carefully remove the skin from the chicken. If your chicken breasts are very large (more than 1 pound each), use a very sharp knife to carefully slice them in half crosswise through the bone. Set aside.
- Turn your Instant Pot to the sauté setting. Add the olive oil and butter.
- Once the butter is melted, add the onion, carrots, and celery. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring often, until the onion softens and becomes translucent.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, and oregano. Place the thyme and bay leaf on top. Pour in the chicken broth and 3 cups water. Gently add the chicken pieces.
- Close and seal the Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure (manual) for 10 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then immediately vent to release any remaining pressure. Carefully open the lid.
- Remove the chicken and transfer it to a cutting board. Pick out the thyme stems and bay leaf and discard. Turn the Instant Pot to saute (you will need to press “cancel” first).
- Add the noodles. Let cook, uncovered, until noodles are al dente, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- While the noodles cook, shred the chicken and discard the bones. Once the noodles are done, turn off the Instant Pot. Stir in the parsley and shredded chicken. If you’d like a more brothy, thinner soup, stir in additional water until your desired consistency is reached. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Enjoy hot with an extra sprinkle of fresh parsley.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.Register