You can sign me up for the sheet pan diet. Endlessly versatile, healthy, and the simplest way to make a flavorful meal with only one dish to wash at the end, sheet pan suppers like this Italian Sausage and Peppers will be your faithful weeknight dinner date.
This recipe is loaded with Italian allure, ultra filling, and enjoyable either on its own or as an easy add-on to pasta, sandwiches, and more.
It’s weeknight-friendly and weekend-worthy mixed into one dish.
This recipe has become our go-to weekend lunch when I want to keep it easy and am craving something that’s equal parts healthy and hearty.
In the summer, we turn this Italian sausage recipe into sandwiches or finish our sausage and peppers with sauce and cheese.
In the winter, we love sausage and peppers and potatoes for a cozy meal. (This Crock Pot Sausage and Peppers is another versatile favorite.)
The combination of the spice and juiciness of Italian sausage with the sweetness of bell peppers is the kind of classic, don’t-mess-with-it combo that I prize in Italian cuisine. The sublime is in the simple.
Making this sheet pan sausage and peppers in the oven is unbelievably easy, fast, and versatile enough to please everyone you serve it to!
5 Star Review
“What a fantastic meal! I’m so happy I found this recipe. Not only was it super easy, but it was super yummy too! Also, clean-up was a breeze.”— Liv —
How to Make Sausage and Peppers in the Oven
This simple Italian recipe is the simplicity of a summer day, turned into a healthy, one-pan dinner of juicy morsels of Italian sausage pan roasted with strips of sweet bell peppers, savory onions, and Italian spices.
Whether you are partial to sweet Italian sausage recipes or hot Italian sausage recipes, this dish has you covered. You can use any type of precooked sausage you like. (Don’t miss the other scrumptious Italian sausage recipes on my site.)
- Italian Sausage. Oven baked Italian sausage is delicious (and the easiest and best way to cook sausages in my opinion)! You can use either chicken or turkey Italian sausage for this recipe.
- Bell Peppers + Onions. Bell peppers and onions taste spectacular with the Italian sausage. They become tender, sweet, and scrumptious once roasted.
- Red Wine Vinegar. For a touch of acidity and tanginess.
- Spices. A combination of salt, black pepper, dried basil, dried oregano, and red pepper flakes gives this dish Italian flair and addictive flavor.
- Arrange the sausage, peppers, and onions on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Toss with the olive oil, vinegar, and spices.
- Bake at 400 degrees F. Peppers and sausages will take about 25 to 35 minutes in the oven. DIG IN!
- To Store. Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight storage container for up to 4 days.
- To Reheat. Reheat gently in the microwave or in a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat.
- To Freeze. Freeze leftovers in an airtight freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Try this Italian sausage and peppers with rice, cauliflower rice, or inside a toasted hoagie bun with a slice of provolone cheese (bonus points for warming it in the oven to melt the cheese).
For sausage and peppers pasta, serve this dish with whole wheat noodles and tomato sauce.
I also like to sauté the leftovers with spinach, then top them with a fried egg for a tasty brunch (or brinner!).
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe
- Baking Sheets. Perfect for making this baked sausage and peppers recipe.
- Parchment Paper. Helps keep ingredients from sticking to your baking sheet.
- Spatula. This one is ideal for tossing and flipping.
Sausage and Peppers
- 1 12 ounce package precooked Italian chicken or turkey sausage cut into ½-inch rounds (I used spicy Italian chicken sausage)
- 1 medium red bell pepper sliced into ¼-inch strips
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper sliced into ¼-inch strips
- 1 small yellow onion sliced into ¼-inch strips
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon fresh grated black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes plus additional to taste
- Optional for serving: thinly sliced fresh basil, chopped fresh parsley, freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. For easy clean up, line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the cut sausage, bell peppers, and onions in the center of the pan.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and red wine vinegar, then sprinkle with the garlic, salt, basil, oregano, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Toss to combine, then arrange in a single layer.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, until the peppers are as tender as you like, tossing once halfway through. Remove from the oven and serve hot.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight storage container for up to 4 days.
- TO REHEAT: Reheat gently in the microwave or in a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat.
- I also like to sauté the leftovers with spinach, then top them with a fried egg for a tasty brunch (or brinner!).
- Additional serving ideas: try this Italian sausage and peppers over rice or cauliflower rice, inside a toasted hoagie bun with a slice of provolone cheese (bonus points for warming it in the oven to melt the cheese), or with whole wheat pasta noodles and tomato pasta sauce.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.Register