Italian Turkey Burgers
Meet the Godfather of the grill: Italian Turkey Burgers.
Made with a 50/50 blend of zesty Italian turkey sausage and lean ground turkey, then smothered in mozzarella, asiago, and grilled peppers + onions, this Italian charmer of turkey burgers is one tasty addition to your next backyard festa.
If you follow me on Instagram or Snapchat (wellplated), you’ve likely noticed a major influx of too-pretty-to-be-true lakeside photos. Ben’s parents live on a lake outside of Milwaukee, and their prime spot (plus pontoon boat) means that Ben and I—along with just about every one of their land-locked friends—makes an appearance at the Clarke household on sunny weekend afternoons.
It’s remarkable how an hour of lying around on a boat can leave one ravenously hungry and parched, so without fail every Saturday afternoon, the post-pontoon hoard descends upon the Clarke’s kitchen in desperate search of sustenance.
On their second year of handling the hungry hoards, the Clarkes now have the weekend afternoon feeding frenzy down to a science. We light up the grill, pull out a smorgasbord of Italian sausages, then smother them in a wonderful mixture of fiery onions and peppers that Ben’s mom cooks in army-sized quantities. It’s simple, satisfying, and exactly what I need to see me through a few more hours in the sun.
Today’s healthy turkey burger recipe takes its inspiration from our lakeside lunches. Using Italian sausage in the turkey burger blend is both a refreshing change of pace from standard turkey burgers, and it keeps the turkey burgers nice and juicy too. For extra Italian flair, I added garlic, basil, and oregano to the turkey burger patties, then smothered them in a double cheesy hit of creamy mozzarella and nutty Asiago. Next time, I plan to top them with a little marinara sauce too. Buonissimo!
If you need me this weekend, you know where to find me. Please send Italian turkey burgers. I’ll likely be famished!
Italian Turkey Burgers
Juicy Italian turkey burgers made with a blend of Italian turkey sausage and ground turkey, then topped with gooey Mozzarella cheese and grilled peppers.
Yield: 6 burgers
Total Time: 30 minutes
For the Burgers
- 1 pound 99% lean ground turkey
- 1 pound sweet or spicy turkey sausage, casings removed (I used spicy)
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons ground basil
- 2 teaspoons ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces Asiago cheese
- 8 ounces Mozzarella cheese
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, for serving
For the Grilled Vegetables
- 1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat a grill to medium high.
- To make the burgers, place the ground turkey, turkey sausage, bread crumbs, basil, oregano, fennel, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes in a large mixing bowl and lightly combine with your fingers. Make sure the ingredients are fairly evenly incorporated, but do not compact the meat. Shape into 6 patties. Grill on medium high until the bottoms are browned (about 5 minutes), then flip and continue grilling until cooked through, about 5 additional minutes. When the burgers are almost ready, top with mozzarella and Asiago cheeses.
- For the veggies: Place the veggie slices in a medium bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Place in a grill basket and grill until softened and lightly charred, about 8 minutes, turning the veggies often so that they do not burn. Toast the buns as desired.
- Serve burgers on the buns, topped with grilled veggies. Enjoy immediately.
I am also sharing this recipe on the Wisconsin Cheese Talk blog, where I am a contributor.// All images and text © /Well Plated.
Did you try this recipe? I want to see! Follow Well Plated on Instagram, snap a photo, and tag it #wellplated. I love to know what you are making!
Calling all Packers fans! The Wisconsin Cheese and Burger Society is hosting a Greenbay Packers Football ticket sweepstakes. All of the details can be found here, and if you happen to win, please put in a good word to Aaron Rodgers for me. I’m not sure if he’s aware that we are engaged…