Meet the Godfather of the grill: Italian Turkey Burgers.
Made with a 50/50 blend of zesty Italian turkey sausage and lean ground turkey, then smothered in mozzarella, asiago, and grilled peppers + onions, this Italian charmer of turkey burgers is one tasty addition to your next backyard festa (alongside Italian Beef, of course).
Ben’s parents live on a lake outside of Milwaukee, and their prime spot (plus pontoon boat) means that Ben and I—along with just about every one of their landlocked friends—makes an appearance at the Clarke household on sunny weekend afternoons.
It’s remarkable how an hour of lying around on a boat can leave one ravenously hungry and parched, so without fail every Saturday afternoon, the post-pontoon hoard descends upon the Clarke’s kitchen in desperate search of sustenance.
On their second year of handling the hungry hoards, the Clarkes now have the weekend afternoon feeding frenzy down to a science.
We light up the grill, pull out a smorgasbord of Italian sausages, then smother them in a wonderful mixture of fiery onions and peppers that Ben’s mom cooks in army-sized quantities.
It’s simple, satisfying, and exactly what I need to see me through a few more hours in the sun.
Why I Love These Grilled Italian Turkey Burgers
Today’s healthy turkey burger recipe takes its inspiration from our lakeside lunches.
Using Italian sausage in the turkey burger blend is both a refreshing change of pace from standard turkey burgers, and it keeps the turkey burgers nice and juicy too.
For extra Italian flair, I added garlic, basil, and oregano to the turkey burger patties, then smothered them in a double cheesy hit of creamy mozzarella and nutty Asiago. Next time, I plan to top them with a little marinara sauce too. Buonissimo!
What to Serve with Turkey Burgers
- Salad. A fresh, healthy salad like Brussels Sprouts Slaw or Creamy Cucumber Salad would be delicious.
- Fries. Both Crispy Baked Fries and Grilled Sweet Potato Fries are perfect with these burgers.
- Veggies. Grilled veggies or Crock Pot Creamed Corn would be a crowd-pleasing side.
More Delicious Burger Recipes
- Mediterranean Quinoa Burger with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Feta
- Teriyaki Burgers with Grilled Pineapple
- Avocado Burger with Chipotle Yogurt Sauce
- Breakfast Burger
- Green Chile Grilled Chicken Burgers
- Super Food Black Bean Vegan Burger
If you need me this weekend, you know where to find me. Please send Italian turkey burgers. I’ll likely be famished!
Italian Turkey Burgers
For the Burgers:
- 1 pound 99% lean ground turkey
- 1 pound turkey sausage, sweet or spicy with casings removed (I used spicy)
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons ground basil
- 2 teaspoons ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces Asiago cheese
- 8 ounces Mozzarella cheese
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns for serving
For the Grilled Vegetables:
- 1 large red onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat a grill to medium high.
- To make the burgers, place the ground turkey, turkey sausage, bread crumbs, basil, oregano, fennel, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes in a large mixing bowl and lightly combine with your fingers. Make sure the ingredients are fairly evenly incorporated, but do not compact the meat. Shape into 6 patties. Grill on medium high until the bottoms are browned (about 5 minutes), then flip and continue grilling until cooked through, about 5 additional minutes. When the burgers are almost ready, top with mozzarella and Asiago cheeses.
- For the veggies: Place the veggie slices in a medium bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Place in a grill basket and grill until softened and lightly charred, about 8 minutes, turning the veggies often so that they do not burn. Toast the buns as desired.
- Serve burgers on the buns, topped with grilled veggies. Enjoy immediately.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.Register