We’re in the holiday final stretch! How’s your to-do list? Presents bought and wrapped? Here, I’m *almost* halfway there. Between trying to squeeze in last-minute errands, shopping, and making time for special holiday events and parties, cooking a balanced dinner and making sure I get my fruits and veggies in the mix has been more challenging than usual. Winter Slaw with apple and dried cranberries to the rescue!
This crisp, cool slaw is filled with seasonal goodies and comes together in 15 minutes. It’s an ideal option to add to dinner, and it will bring much needed balance to your plate.
I’m all for indulging at the holidays, but I also recognize that my body needs balanced meals between all of the parties and gatherings. Add the fact that it’s often hard to find time to cook dinner during the season, and it can quickly feel like my routine has spiraled.
In years not so long ago, I would have easily let myself dwell on guilty feelings indulging at a holiday party or relying on ready-made products to help get dinner on the table quickly. Now, I’ve learned that as long as I balance my plate with fruits and vegetables, I can relax and enjoy myself.
The Best Winter Slaw Recipe
This dazzling winter slaw is ready in 15 minutes, which means that you can pull it together quickly on a weeknight while the pizza cooks in the oven. It also tastes even better as it sits and can last a few days in the refrigerator, making it an ideal make-ahead option for meal prep mavens too.
With ribbons of colorful, crunchy green and red cabbage, juicy sliced apples, toasty pumpkin seeds, and chewy dried cranberries, it’s not only filled with the fruits and veggies you need, it is an absolutely delicious way to eat them.
How to Store Winter Slaw
- To Store. This slaw will stay good in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, so you can make it well in advance too!
Other Delicious, Healthy Salads
- Asian Cabbage Salad
- Brussels Sprouts Slaw
- Broccoli Cranberry Salad
- Caesar Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Crispy Chickpea Croutons
- 1 small head cabbage thinly sliced (red or green, or half of each if you love the color blend like I do!)
- 1 large sweet-crisp apple such as Honeycrisp
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice about 2 small lemons
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan about 1 1/2 ounces
- Cut the cabbage in half, then carefully cut out the core. Cut it into half again so that you have quarters, then slice the cabbage into ultra-thin ribbons. You will have 10 to 12 cups total. Place it in a very large bowl.
- Cut off the four sides of the apple, slicing as close to the core as possible. Discard the core, then cut the remaining quarters into thin slices. Add the apples to the bowl with the cabbage.
- In a small mixing bowl or a larger liquid measuring cup, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Pour over the cabbage and toss to combine. Sprinkle with the dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds, and Parmesan. If time allows, let sit for 15 minutes. Toss and adjust seasoning as desired.
- This slaw lasts in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, so you can make it well in advance too! Taste and adjust the seasoning before serving.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.Register