We’re in the holiday final stretch! How’s your to-do list? Presents bought and wrapped? Here, I’m *almost* halfway there. Between trying to squeeze in last-minute errands, shopping, and making time for special holiday events and parties, cooking a balanced dinner and making sure I get my fruits and veggies in the mix has been more challenging than usual.
Winter Slaw with Apples and Dried Cranberries to the rescue! This crisp, cool slaw is filled with seasonal goodies, comes together in 15 minutes, and pairs perfectly with our latest go-to quick weeknight meal, California Pizza Kitchen Frozen Pizza. It’s an ideal option to add to dinner, and it will bring much needed balance to your plate.
I’m all for indulging at the holidays, but I also recognize that my body needs balanced meals between all of the parties and gatherings. Add the fact that it’s often hard to find time to cook dinner during the season, and it can quickly feel like my routine has spiraled. That’s why I’ve partnered up with California Pizza Kitchen Frozen Pizza to share this recipe with you!
In years not so long ago, I would have easily let myself dwell on guilty feelings indulging at a holiday party or relying on ready-made products to help get dinner on the table quickly. Now, I’ve learned that as long as I balance my plate with fruits and vegetables, I can relax and enjoy myself. I’ve also been looking into more ready-made products that can help to maintain my sanity on nights when I don’t have time to cook a full meal.
One of Ben and my go-tos is frozen pizza, but not just any frozen pizza. We’re talking good-quality crust and real cheese only, with bonus points for organic meats and vegetables. As I’ve been exploring frozen choices, one that stands out is California Pizza Kitchen. Their pizzas use real ingredients, and the crust bakes up perfectly crisp and golden. Plus, the flavors are delish. Last weekend, we had the BBQ Recipe Chicken for lunch, and it completely hit the spot!
While the pizza baked, I had just the right amount of time to whip up this Winter Slaw recipe. The apples paired perfectly with the BBQ pizza sauce. It reminded me of the goodness of BBQ chicken sandwiches with coleslaw on top, except in pizza form. Yum!
The Best Winter Slaw Recipe
This dazzling winter slaw is ready in 15 minutes, which means that you can pull it together quickly on a weeknight while the pizza cooks in the oven. It also tastes even better as it sits and can last a few days in the refrigerator, making it an ideal make-ahead option for leftover pizza lovers and meal-prep mavens too.
With ribbons of colorful, crunchy green and red cabbage, juicy sliced apples, toasty pumpkin seeds, and chewy dried cranberries, it’s not only filled with the fruits and veggies you need, it is an absolutely delicious way to eat them.
I’m sharing this Winter Slaw recipe in partnership with California Pizza Kitchen Frozen Pizza. Life is hectic, especially around the holidays, so I wanted to show just how easy it can be to pair your favorite foods, like pizza, with fresh ingredients to create a well-rounded meal. I hope this winter slaw and CPK pizza pairing offers inspiration to help you make balanced meals a reality more often.
- 1 small head cabbage — thinly sliced (red or green, or half of each if you love the color blend like I do!)
- 1 large sweet-crisp apple — such as Honeycrisp
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice — about 2 small lemons
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan — about 1 1/2 ounces
- Cut the cabbage in half, then carefully cut out the core. Cut it into half again so that you have quarters, then slice the cabbage into ultra-thin ribbons. You will have 10 to 12 cups total. Place it in a very large bowl.
Cut off the four sides of the apple, slicing as close to the core as possible. Discard the core, then cut the remaining quarters into thin slices. Add the apples to the bowl with the cabbage.
- In a small mixing bowl or a larger liquid measuring cup, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Pour over the cabbage and toss to combine. Sprinkle with the dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds, and Parmesan. If time allows, let sit for 15 minutes. Toss and adjust seasoning as desired.
- This slaw lasts in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, so you can make it well in advance too! Taste and adjust the seasoning before serving.
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1 of 6) — Calories: 279, Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 5mg, Carbohydrates: 19g, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 9g, Protein: 6g
Did you try this recipe? I want to see! Follow Well Plated on Instagram, snap a photo, and tag it #wellplated. I love to know what you are making!
This post contains some affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.