Healthy Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potatoes
My week began with resolve, fortitude, and the most wholesome of intentions to balance out Ben and my four-day eating spree in New York City. I lasted five hours. Then, I remembered the chocolate truffles lurking in the candy jar. Oops. Call in the Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potatoes, and let’s get back on track!
The truth is, I’m miserable at any kind of diet plan that requires cutting out whole food groups or includes words like “cleanse” and “detox.” Even after a long weekend in which carbs and cocktails were the primary food groups, subscribing to a meal regimen (even a temporary one) that calls for deprivation isn’t an approach that resonates with me. Plus, as we’ve seen, I’m not very good at it. Dark chocolate is real. And I really like it.
That said, I still wake up after weekends I’ve gone a little overboard (or in the case of our NYC trip a lot overboard) ready to hit reset and return to a healthier eating pattern—at least until the next weekend. Do you know the feeling?
Whether you are looking for a reset (sometimes), or just need an easy, healthy dinner on a busy weeknight (always), these Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potatoes are ideal. Every bite of these fluffy baked sweet potatoes smothered in juicy, saucy crock pot Buffalo chicken tastes rich and satisfying, but is wholesome and good for you!
I stole the idea to pair the Buffalo chicken with sweet potatoes from a friend who ordered a side of Buffalo dipping sauce with her sweet potato fries at dinner a few weeks ago. At first, I thought it sounded odd, but the combination of the spicy Buffalo sauce with the sweetness of the potatoes was addictive. I knew I had to try it at home.
Although I’m no stranger to having fries for dinner, I wanted this slow cooker Buffalo chicken to fit a healthy weeknight dinner theme, so I served the chicken over baked sweet potatoes instead. Dynamite!
The baked sweet potatoes gave me the sweet-spicy flavor pairing that I was after, but in a lighter, healthier way. Serving the slow cooker Buffalo chicken over the sweet potatoes also offers the benefit of combining a serving of veggies with a serving of lean protein in a single forkful.
For maximum simplicity, I made the Buffalo chicken in the slow cooker. I poured the Buffalo sauce right over the chicken, and by the time the chicken was ready, it was fall-apart tender.
My final flourish was a blue cheese yogurt drizzle. If you aren’t into blue cheese, we can’t be friends you can swap feta for the blue or omit the blue cheese completely. The Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potatoes will still be delicious without it.
In addition to being a tasty weeknight dinner, these Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potatoes are also easy to multiply for a crowd. If you have any game watches or football parties on your agenda—a.k.a. events for which the presence of Buffalo chicken teeters between “strongly encouraged” and “mandatory”—this recipe is a great way to feed the hungry hoards, while leaving a little extra wiggle room in your diet too.
Tools I used to make this recipe:
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potatoes
Juicy slow cooker buffalo chicken served over sweet potatoes and topped with a creamy yogurt drizzle. You’ll love this easy, healthy crock pot recipe!
Yield: Serves 4
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2-3 hours (on high) or 4-5 hours (on low)
Total Time: 2-3 hours (on high) or 4-5 hours (on low)
For the Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken:
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 3)
- 3/4 cup hot sauce, such as Frank’s
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with 1 tablespoon water to create a slurry
- Chopped green onions, for serving
For the Blue Cheese Yogurt Dressing (omit to make dairy free):
- 1/2 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese, plus additional for serving
- Lightly coat a slow cooker with cooking spray (I used a 6-quart but believe a smaller size would be fine too). Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place the hot sauce, coconut oil, salt, garlic powder, and cayenne in a microwave safe bowl or measuring cup. Microwave until the coconut oil is melted (about 45 seconds), then stir until smooth. If you prefer not to use the microwave, melt the ingredients together in a small saucepan on the stove. Pour the sauce over the chicken. Cover the slow cooker, then cook for 1 1/2 – 2 1/2 hours on high or 4-5 hours on low, until the chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Remove the chicken from crockpot and shred.
- About 30 minutes before the chicken is done, bake the sweet potatoes: Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Prick the sweet potatoes all over with a fork, then place them on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending upon the size of your sweet potato. Turn off the oven and leave the sweet potatoes inside to keep them warm.
- Once the chicken is shredded and while the sweet potatoes bake, mix the cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water together to create a slurry. Add it to the cooking liquid in the slow cooker, then whisk to combine. Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 30 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken, stirring once half way through. Once thick, return the chicken to the slow cooker and toss to coat.
- For the Blue cheese yogurt topping: in a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients—Greek yogurt, milk, white vinegar, black pepper, and blue cheese. Split open the sweet potatoes, then top with the crock pot Buffalo chicken, a drizzle of the blue cheese dressing, and green onions. Enjoy hot.
- Store leftover Buffalo chicken in the refrigerator for up to four days or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Feel free to double this recipe to feed a larger group. You may need to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- All slow cookers differ in temperature, so adjust the cooking time according to your experience. Cooking time may vary base on the make and model of your slow cooker.
Serving Size: 1 potato with 2 tablespoons yogurt dressing
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 213
- Total Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Sodium: 2099mg
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sugar: 8g
- Protein: 8g
If you like these Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potatoes, don’t miss these other healthy crock pot recipes: