I try not to play into stereotypes—unless we are talking about Buffalo Chicken Pizza, in which case grown men will cry, football games will blare at high volumes, and victory is imminent.
Buffalo chicken pizza is everything that makes Buffalo chicken wings epically awesome—the juicy meat, the signature spicy sauce, the tangy blue cheese—fused with another epically awesome food: pizza.
Buffalo Chicken Pizza Video
If you enjoy this Buffalo chicken pizza video, please subscribe to our YouTube channel. Be sure to click the BELL icon so you can be the first to know when we post a new video (and thank you for subscribing!).
This Buffalo chicken pizza is loud, proud, and not at all ashamed to be the brightest item on the plate.
You can serve it as a part of a Sunday football game spread, whip it up for Tuesday night dinner, or pop it into the oven anytime you need a pan of zesty, cheesy comfort food<—um, tonight anyone?
5 Star Review
“Mmmmmm…good! Thanks for the dinner suggestion! We just polished it off!”— Margaret —
Buffalo Chicken for All
Even if watching sports isn’t in your future, I’m going to encourage you to make this recipe anyway because (and I think this is a reasonable statement) EVERYONE LOVES BUFFALO CHICKEN.
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers. Rave reviews.
- Cauliflower Buffalo “Wings” with Blue Cheese Avocado Dip. They will be inhaled right off the sheet pan.
- Healthy Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potatoes. Readers report making this recipe weekly.
- Buffalo Chicken Taquitos. You know these taste good.
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Meatballs. If I ever get into a fight with my husband, this is how I always (successfully) make amends.
Speaking of husbands, mine gets very excited when I leave town or go out with the girls, because it means he can order Buffalo chicken pizza delivery from Papa John’s or Domino’s, depending upon who is offering the better coupon.
This homemade pizza recipe is so easy (just like BBQ Chicken Pizza!) and tastes so far superior to delivery, however, you’ll never want to go back to the frozen or delivery version again.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Pizza
For the Buffalo chicken pizza dough, I like my favorite quick and dirty homemade Whole Wheat Pizza Dough, though if you prefer to swap in store-bought dough, your secret is safe with me.
From there, we slather on shredded chicken that’s been bathed in Buffalo sauce and top the whole shebang with red onions and gooey cheese.
Pop it into the oven and 15 minutes later, BAM!
Buffalo bliss on a baking sheet.
- Buffalo Sauce. I used Frank’s—is there another? This delicious, always-appealing sauce got its start on chicken wings at a bar in Buffalo, New York (hence, the name). Now, it’s a household favorite that instantly ups the crowd-pleasing factor of any dish.
- Shredded Chicken. Use one of my simple and foolproof methods for making the best shredded chicken. I have instructions for Instant Pot Chicken, Crock Pot Shredded Chicken, Baked Chicken Breast, and How to Cook Shredded Chicken (stovetop method).
- Spices. Garlic powder and chili powder add an extra punch of flavor to the Buffalo sauce.
- Cheeses x2. Mozzarella cheese adds that gooey, classic cheesy goodness. Blue cheese is a spectacular pairing with the Buffalo sauce and has a wonderful creamy texture that makes this pizza decadent.
- Red Onion. Just the bite this pizza needs for balance.
- Green Onions. Adding green onions to the baked pizza gives it a touch of freshness and color.
- Whisk the Buffalo sauce and spices together.
- Stir in the chicken.
- Roll out the pizza dough, and place it on a baking sheet. Add the chicken and sauce mixture.
- Top with the cheeses and red onion. Bake at 425 degrees F for 15 to 18 minutes. Finish with green onions and ENJOY!
Pair this pizza with a dry Riesling or Pinot Grigio. It would also be especially tasty (and game day appropriate!) with a cold beer.
- To Store. Refrigerate pizza in an airtight storage container for up to 3 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm leftovers on a baking sheet in the oven at 350 degrees F.
- To Freeze. Freeze pizza in an airtight freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months. Reheat from frozen as directed.
Meal Plan Tip
Up to 3 days in advance, prepare the homemade whole wheat pizza dough as directed. After rolling the dough into two smooth balls, cover and refrigerate them until you’re ready to bake.
You can also cook the shredded chicken up to 1 day in advance, using one of my easy methods (linked in the recipe card below). Refrigerate the chicken in an airtight storage container until you’re ready to prepare the pizza.
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe
- Baking Sheet. Perfect for everything from sheet pan meals to pizzas.
- Mixing Bowls. Stackable for easy storage and dishwasher-safe.
- Measuring Spoons. These have two sizes per spoon, so there are fewer dishes to wash.
This spicy, tangy pizza is a guaranteed crowd pleaser and winning game day appetizer, but if you love Buffalo chicken, you will want it for dinner any night of the week!
Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- 1 Whole Wheat Pizza Dough 1/2 recipe to make 1 crust, freeze the second crust, or use your favorite pizza dough recipe—enough to yield one 11×14-inch pizza**
- 1 cup Buffalo sauce I used Frank’s
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 8 ounces chicken breast cooked and shredded, between 2 1/2 and 3 cups; see this post for Crock Pot Shredded Chicken, How to Cook Shredded Chicken, Baked Chicken Breast, or Instant Pot Chicken
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese 2 ounces—I used gorgonzola; swap feta for a more mild taste
- 1/2 small red onion thinly sliced
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- Place rack in upper 1/3 of oven and preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or dust with cornmeal or flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the Buffalo sauce, garlic powder, and chili powder.
- Add shredded chicken and toss to coat.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface and roll into a 11×14-inch rectangle. Gently transfer the rolled dough to a prepared baking sheet. Top with the chicken-sauce mixture, leaving a 3/4 inch border around all sides.
- Sprinkle on the mozzarella, blue cheese, and red onion. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until the crust is crisp and golden. Sprinkle with the green onion. Slice and serve.
- **Prep time does not include dough, as this will vary by the recipe used. If using the dough in the recipe, allow 45 minutes additional.
- TO MAKE AHEAD: If using the dough listed in the recipe, it can be left to rise in the refrigerator overnight, instead of resting at room temperature for 30 minutes as directed in the recipe. Simply remove the dough from the refrigerator 45 minutes before you are ready to bake and proceed with the recipe as directed. If you are freezing half of the dough, do so before allowing it to rest at room temperature.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite recipes and access FREE meal plans.Sign Me Up