Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Taquitos
When your husband looks longingly into your eyes and utters the words, “I LOVE Buffalo chicken,” you know you have a winning recipe. Ladies and gents, the secret to bliss: Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Taquitos.
This post is sponsored by Old El Paso.
In the spirit of full disclosure, Ben actually made this comment upon first bite of these Healthy Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potatoes. Considering I hadn’t seen him exude that much enthusiasm over dinner since he confessed to ordering Papa John’s the last time I was out of town, I took note that we clearly needed more Buffalo chicken in our lives.
And when Buffalo chicken recipes are as juicy, zesty, easy, and CHEESY as these Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Taquitos, couldn’t we all use a few more servings?
The filling for these Buffalo Chicken Taquitos is an adaptation of the one I used to top the aforementioned Healthy Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potatoes. The major difference between the two is that today’s recipe uses Buffalo wing sauce, while the prior slow cooker Buffalo chicken uses classic hot sauce. Honestly, both versions of the Buffalo chicken are excellent, so pick your favorite. My favorite is whichever sauce happens to be in my pantry.
Like that first Buffalo chicken recipe, the filling for the Buffalo Chicken Taquitos takes less than five minutes to prep, results in fall-apart tender chicken, and is surprisingly healthy too.
How we are using said filling, however, is where the recipe takes a delightful turn.
Instead of using the Buffalo chicken to make a healthy dinner, I went for a crowd-pleasing, fist-pumping appetizer. Enter, Buffalo Chicken Taquitos.
I’ve had a soft spot for chicken taquitos since grade school, when my family would go out to our favorite Mexican restaurant every week after church. Some families do Sunday brunch—we did Sunday chips and salsa. I often ordered the chicken taquitos, extra cheese please.
While today’s Buffalo Chicken Taquitos are far from anything you’d find on a Mexican menu, they do share the same core ingredients: juicy shredded chicken, melty cheese, and crispy tortillas. Instead of fussing with the deep fryer, I opted to bake the Buffalo Chicken Taquitos in the oven. The tortillas (I’m using Old El Paso Flour Tortillas) still became golden and crisp, no oily mess required.
If you are looking for a crowd-pleasing appetizer for your next football party or game watch, give these Buffalo Chicken Taquitos a try. They’re simple to make, easy to scale up or down, and might even earn you a profession of true love.
Tools I used to make this recipe:
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Taquitos
Buffalo Chicken Taquitos. Slow cooker shredded Buffalo chicken, rolled inside a tortilla with cheese, then baked until golden. Easy and crowd-pleasing!
Yield: 10 taquitos
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours (on high) or 4 hours (on low)
Total Time: 2 hours (on high) or 4 hours (on low)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1/2 cup, plus 3-5 tablespoons Buffalo wing sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup non-fat Plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup freshly grated Monetary Jack cheese
- 10, 6-inch Old El Paso Flour Tortillas (fajita/taco size)
- Olive oil or cooking spray
- For serving: chopped green onions, crumbled blue cheese, additional Buffalo wing sauce
- Place in the chicken breasts in the bottom of a slow cooker. In a small bowl, stir together 1/2 cup Buffalo sauce, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne. Pour over the chicken, cover, and let cook until the chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 160-165 degrees F: 1 1/2 – 2 1/2 hours on high or 4-5 hours on low. Remove chicken from slow cooker and in a mixing bowl. Shred with two forks, then return the chicken to the slow cooker. Stir in the Greek yogurt and the remaining 3 tablespoons Buffalo sauce. Taste and add additional Buffalo sauce if you’d like the chicken spicier.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
- To assemble the taquitos: Lay each tortilla flat and place a scant 1/4 cup of the Buffalo chicken in the center. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 tablespoons of shredded cheese, then roll the tortilla tightly. Arrange the tortillas in a single layer on the baking sheet. Mist the tops with cooking spray or brush lightly with olive oil. Bake for 10 minutes, until tortillas are slightly browned and cheese is melted. Serve warm, drizzled with additional Buffalo sauce and sprinkled with green onions and blue cheese.
- Prepare the Buffalo chicken up to 1 day in advance. Store in the refrigerator, then let come to room temperature prior to rolling the taquitos.
- Taquitos can be assembled and refrigerated up to three hours before serving. Place right from the refrigerator into the oven, adjusting the baking time as needed.
Serving Size: 1 taquito, without additional toppings
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 177
- Total Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 28mg
- Sodium: 897mg
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 0g
- Sugar: 0g
- Protein: 14g
Did you try this recipe? I want to see! Follow Well Plated on Instagram, snap a photo, and tag it #wellplated. I love to know what you are making!
If you like these Buffalo Chicken Taquitos, don’t miss these other winning game day appetizer recipes:
I am sharing this post in partnership with Old El Paso. As always, all opinions are my own and thanks for supporting the brands and companies that make it possible for me to continue creating quality content for you!
This post contains some affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.