Crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, an Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato is next-level delicious! Making sweet potatoes in the air fryer is healthy, easy, and faster than in the oven. Enjoy this air fried sweet potato as a nutritious side, or add toppings to turn it into a full meal!
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE?
From time to time, we'll send you the best of Well Plated. We respect your privacy and you can opt out anytime.
Already registered? Log in here.
Why You’ll Love This Easy Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato Recipe
- It’s Easy-Peasy. The air fryer isn’t just for Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries! Whole sweet potatoes can be cooked in an air fryer too. Like an Air Fryer Baked Potato, the skin is nicely crisp and the inside is tender, creamy, and fluffy.
- Faster Than The Oven. Sweet potatoes take 40 to 50 minutes to bake in the air fryer at 370 degrees F, compared to 50 to 65 minutes (or longer) in the oven (check out How to Bake a Sweet Potato). Use that time to whip up a fast, easy main like Pan Fried Chicken Breast.
- It’s Super Versatile. While you might first think of air fryer baked sweet potatoes as a side, they also make a fantastic base for easy, healthy meals. You can top baked sweet potatoes with Crockpot BBQ Chicken, a Mexican-inspired combo of black beans, cheese, and Guacamole, or try the Hawaiian or breakfast sweet potatoes from The Well Plated Cookbook. You can even use them for Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes.
- No Oven Required. Whether you need your oven for another recipe (perhaps some Baked Chicken Breast to go with that sweet potato), or it’s too hot in your kitchen to turn the oven on, the air fryer keeps things cool and flexible.
How to Make the Best Air Fried Sweet Potatoes
- Scrub and Dry the Potatoes. Poke them with a fork and rub them with oil.
- Air Fry. Cook sweet potatoes in the air fryer at 370 degrees F for 40 to 50 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve. Cut a slit in the top, fluff with a fork, and add your favorite toppings. DIG IN!
- To Store. Refrigerate sweet potatoes in an airtight storage container for up to 1 week.
- To Reheat. Rewarm leftovers on a baking sheet in the oven at 350 degrees F or in the microwave (the microwave is less ideal, because the reheated sweet potato will become somewhat gummy).
- To Freeze. Wrap sweet potatoes in plastic wrap and freeze them in an airtight freezer-safe storage container or ziptop bag for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Ways to Top Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
- Chicken. If these top-rated Healthy Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potatoes are any indication, shredded chicken is a slam-dunk sweet potato topping. Crockpot Mexican Chicken would be yummy too.
- Butter. Classic! For a truly scrumptious topping, try butter and a drizzle of maple syrup or cinnamon and brown sugar (and please invite me over).
- Bacon. Loaded air fryer sweet potatoes, please! Add sour cream, Baked Bacon in the Oven or Air Fryer Bacon, chives, and a sprinkle of cheese.
- Black Beans. Black beans taste wonderful with sweet potatoes. Use Instant Pot Black Beans, or canned like in Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Black Beans and Quinoa and 5 Ingredient Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are two of our favorite healthy meals!
- Chili. For a hearty and cozy air fryer baked sweet potato healthy dinner, spoon Healthy Turkey Chili or Vegetarian Chili over the top.
- Pizza- Style. Use your air fryer sweet potato as the base for your favorite pizza toppings. Add marinara sauce (or Basil Pesto), Mozzarella, and pizza toppings (like Sautéed Mushrooms, Roasted Tomatoes, or Roasted Garlic).
What to Serve With an Air Fryer Sweet Potato
- Pork. Serve your air fryer sweet potato with Grilled Pork Chops, Baked Pork Tenderloin, or Breaded Pork Chops.
- Chicken. Whether you pair your potato with Baked Fried Chicken, Grilled Chicken Tenders, or Honey Garlic Chicken Wings, you can’t go wrong.
- Burger. A Portobello Mushroom Burger, Turkey Burgers, or Vegan Burger would be delicious.
- Salmon. A sweet potato would be the perfect side dish for Poached Salmon, Grilled Salmon, or Broiled Salmon.
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe
- Air Fryer. The model I own and love for making air fryer recipes (like my Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries)!
- Peeler with Brush. This handy little tool is a peeler, scrub brush, and paring knife.
- Measuring Spoons. These double-sided measuring spoons are my favorite.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Dry Your Potatoes Well. The dryer the potatoes, the crispier your skins will be. You do not need to soak your sweet potatoes for air frying but you should wash the outsides well.
- Don’t Overcook It. Yes, overcooking a sweet potato is possible. If overcooked, it can become mushy or dry, so stick to the cook times listed.
- Don’t Undercook It Either. If you stop cooking sweet potatoes too soon, they will be hard and not as sweet.
- Use the Oil. While you can make air fryer sweet potatoes with no oil, I find that it helps the skin crisp and adds flavor. If you don’t have olive oil on hand, avocado oil would work too.
- Skip the Foil. You don’t need to wrap sweet potatoes in foil for air frying (in fact, the skin won’t crisp as well if you do).
- Do Poke Holes. Poking holes in your sweet potato allows steam to escape while it’s cooking, which helps ensure the perfect texture and keeps it from exploding (although this rarely happens, it doesn’t hurt to be on the safe side).
Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato
want to save this recipe?
From time to time, we’ll send you the best of Well Plated. We respect your privacy and you can opt out anytime.
Already registered? Log in here.
FOR THE AIR FRYER SWEET POTATOES:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes about 8 ounces each
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil optional
OPTIONAL, FOR SERVING:
- Salt and black pepper
- Chopped fresh herbs such as parsley, cilantro, or thyme
- Cinnamon and brown sugar
- Any of the variations from The Well Plated Cookbook
- Scrub and dry the sweet potatoes (no need to peel). Poke all over with the tines of a fork. If desired, rub the outsides of the sweet potatoes with oil. No need to wrap in foil.
- Preheat the air fryer to 370°F. Air fry the sweet potatoes until they are fork tender, about 40 to 50 minutes depending upon the size of your sweet potato.
- Let cool a few minutes. Cut a slit in the top, then open the sweet potato and lightly fluff with a fork. Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
- TO STORE: Refrigerate sweet potatoes in an airtight storage container for up to 1 week.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm leftovers on a baking sheet in the oven at 350°F or in the microwave.
- TO FREEZE: Wrap sweet potatoes in plastic wrap and freeze them in an airtight freezer-safe storage container or ziptop bag for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite recipes and access FREE meal plans.Sign Me Up