Healthy Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potatoes
Why hello there! I’d like to introduce you to my fall dinner uniform, Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potatoes.
I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve made this shredded crockpot buffalo chicken with Greek yogurt sauce since I first shared it last year. In a direct matchup between our frequency of eating it and the number of plaid shirts in my closet (my other fall uniform), I might even give it to the healthy buffalo chicken.
If you’ve hung out with me September through March, you know this is not a light statement. I own A LOT of plaid and somehow keep finding a need to purchase more. A few weeks ago, two of our friends asked me to estimate the number of plaid shirts in my closet. I guessed seven, then went home and counted.
Um, I forgot a few.
Also, do dresses count? Please say no, because I kind of have my eye on this one. It would be so cute with boots!
OK, enough with buffalo check. Let’s get to the buffalo chicken!
This Healthy Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken is one of a handful of recipes on my site that I make over and over. Ben loves it, I love it, it’s beyond easy, and despite its decadent taste, it’s low calorie too.
Whether you need a low-maintenance weeknight meal or a healthy reset after a particularly indulgent weekend, this Healthy Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken hits the spot every time.
I stole the idea to pair buffalo chicken with sweet potatoes from a friend who ordered a side of buffalo dipping sauce with her sweet potato fries at dinner. At first, I thought it sounded odd, but the combination of the spicy buffalo sauce with the sweetness of the potatoes was addictive. I knew I had to try it at home.
Although I’m no stranger to having fries for dinner, I wanted this slow cooker buffalo chicken to fit a healthy weeknight dinner theme, so I served the shredded chicken over baked sweet potatoes instead. Dynamite!
The baked sweet potatoes gave me the sweet-spicy flavor pairing that I was after but in a lighter, healthier way. They also provide a built-in serving of (unfried) veg.
For maximum simplicity, I made the buffalo chicken in the slow cooker. I poured the buffalo sauce right over the top, and by the time the chicken was ready, it was fall-apart tender.
The final flourish is a blue cheese–Greek yogurt drizzle. If you aren’t into blue cheese, we can’t be friends you can swap feta cheese or omit the blue cheese completely. These Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potatoes will still be delicious without it.
In addition to being a tasty weeknight dinner, these Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potatoes are also easy to multiply for a crowd. If you have any game watches or football parties on your agenda—events for which the presence of buffalo chicken teeters between “strongly encouraged” and “mandatory”—this recipe is a great way to feed the hungry hoards while leaving a little extra wiggle room in your diet too.
For a step-by-step of how to make these Healthy Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potatoes recipe, watch this short video:
Tools I used to make this recipe:
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potatoes
Juicy slow cooker buffalo chicken served over sweet potatoes and topped with a creamy yogurt drizzle. You’ll love this easy, healthy crock pot recipe!
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2–3 hours (on high); 4–5 hours (on low)
Total Time: 2–3 hours (on high); 4–5 hours (on low)
For the Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken:
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3)
- 3/4 cup hot sauce, such as Frank’s
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with 1 tablespoon water to create a slurry
- Chopped green onions, for serving
For the Blue Cheese Yogurt Dressing (omit to make dairy free):
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese, plus additional for serving
- Lightly coat a slow cooker with nonstick spray (I used a 6-quart but believe a smaller size would be fine too). Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place the hot sauce, coconut oil, salt, garlic powder, and cayenne in a microwave-safe bowl or measuring cup. Microwave until the coconut oil is melted (about 45 seconds), then stir until smooth. If you prefer not to use the microwave, melt the ingredients together in a small saucepan on the stove. Pour the sauce over the chicken. Cover the slow cooker, then cook for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours on high or 4 to 5 hours on low, until the chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Remove the chicken from crockpot and shred.
- About 30 minutes before the chicken is done, bake the sweet potatoes: Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Prick the sweet potatoes all over with a fork, then place them on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending upon the size of your sweet potato. Turn off the oven and leave the sweet potatoes inside to keep them warm.
- Once the chicken is shredded and while the sweet potatoes bake, mix the cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water together to create a slurry. Add it to the cooking liquid in the slow cooker, then whisk to combine. Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 30 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken, stirring once halfway through. Once thick, return the chicken to the slow cooker and toss to coat.
- For the blue cheese yogurt topping: In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients—Greek yogurt, milk, white vinegar, black pepper, and blue cheese. Split open the sweet potatoes, then top with the crock pot buffalo chicken, a drizzle of the blue cheese dressing, and green onions. Enjoy hot.
- Store leftover buffalo chicken in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Feel free to double this recipe to feed a larger group. You may need to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- All slow cookers differ in temperature, so adjust the cooking time according to your experience. Cooking time may vary base on the make and model of your slow cooker.
Serving Size: 1 potato with 2 tablespoons yogurt dressing
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 213
- Total Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Sodium: 2099mg
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sugar: 8g
- Protein: 8g
Did you try this recipe? I want to see! Follow Well Plated on Instagram, snap a photo, and tag it #wellplated. I love to know what you are making!
This post contains some affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.