Avocado Ice Cream
In my current hometown of Madison, WI, Uncle Nordy and I are hours apart, but I am comforted by the proximity of the second half of my life-essentials list: Avocado Ice Cream with Dark Chocolate Chunks. I need only hop over to my freezer for a double scoop of what I’ve dubbed to be Madison’s front-runner for best ice cream. I’m on my second batch in 10 days and have no intention of rationing myself.
Cue me, reading your mind: “Avocado Ice Cream, what? That sounds disgusting.” Follow my logic, and let’s do a little avocado-ice cream analysis.
Avocados are velvety and rich, as is ice cream. Avocados are creamy and luscious, as is ice cream. Avocados are packed with omega-3s, healthy fats, and other wholesome goodness our bodies crave; ice cream is healthy for our personal state of well-being. Clearly, these two culinary powerhouses are destined to join forces!
I’m that cliché person who when asked what sole food I’d want on a desert island will answer ice cream. (I mean really, besides pizza, is there another respectable choice?). I eat ice cream almost every night, and of the dozens (maybe hundreds) of ice creams I’ve tried, Avocado Ice Cream with Dark Chocolate Chunks is one of my all-time faves.
If you are still creeped out by the idea of avocados in ice cream, please don’t be. Avocado gives this ice cream a luscious, buttery texture, without the need to add gobs of heavy cream. Lime juice brightens the flavor and, as far as the dark chocolate chunks…I just couldn’t control myself, which also happens to be my motto when in the proximity of a carton of ice cream and a spoon. Good thing Avocado Ice Cream gets its richness from healthy avocados and Greek yogurt!
The best part: although Avocado Ice Cream is a healthy twist on a classic frozen dessert, it tastes indulgent. Because avocados do have fat (the healthy kind), Avocado Ice Cream still feels like the satisfying treat you deserve. Now, get your avocado on with Avocado Ice Cream!
I use and LOVE this ice cream maker. More affordable than many ice cream makers on the market, it’s compact (a requirement in my space-strapped kitchen), hooks right up to my revered KitchenAid stand mixer, and most importantly, it makes perfect ice cream every time. For an ice cream fiend like me, it’s a must have!
Avocado Ice Cream
- 3 Avocados - ripened (such as Hass), about 1 1/2 pounds
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Reduced Fat Plain Greek Yogurt - 2% or higher
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Lime Juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 8 ounces Bittersweet Chocolate - chopped (60% or higher cacao solids – like Ghirardelli)
- Slice avocados in half and remove pits. With a spoon, scoop the insides into a food processor in chunks. Add sugar, Greek yogurt, heavy cream, lime juice, and salt. Puree until smooth and the sugar is completely dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- Freeze according to your ice cream maker’s instructions. About 10 minutes before the freezing time is complete, add the chopped chocolate and continue to mix. Serve immediately (the mixture will have the consistency of soft serve) or freeze in an airtight container for up to 4 hours for a firmer consistency.
- After 4 hours, the mixture will become very firm. Let rest on counter 15-20 minutes prior to serving.
I originally shared the recipe for Avocado Ice Cream at Food Fanatic, where I contribute as a Stealthy-Healthy blogger.
This post contains some affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.