Slow Cooker Jalapeno Cheddar Cheese Soup
Creamy potato cheese soup is the best crock pot recipe for an easy dinner! This easy Wisconsin cheese soup recipe is a game changer, with jalapenos added for a spicy kick of flavor. It is cheesy goodness at its best, all made easily in your slow cooker.
If we go out, I want you to turn to me quite seriously, look deep into eyes and say, “Did you pass through a sieve? Because you are fiiiiiiine.” Or something like it.
My lifetime budget for receiving cheesy pick up lines is at a serious deficient. This probably has something to do with my inability to distinguish “adorably awkward” from just plain “awkward” in flirting situations, and something else to do with the fact that I married in my mid-20s, tapping out of the dating game early—not that I was ever particularly “in” it to begin with, but we can pretend for the sake of this post (and my pride).
Those of you still in the dating game—going to actual bars where actual interested strangers talk to each other—might (justifiably) feel that having a cheesy pick up line spewed in your direction is more obnoxious than humorous. Perhaps no one even uses them anymore.
Regardless of our relationship status, sentiment towards expressions like “Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?” (the one actual cheesy pick up line I can remember a guy saying to me), or if our variety of awkward is “adorable” or “just plain,” we can all use a little extra cheese in our lives, starting with our soup.
Spicy Potato Cheese Soup – Cheesy Goodness at Its Best
I’m still in winter survival mode, which means hot soup appeals to my cold-weary soul alldayeveryday, but at this point in the season, I’m over carrot (with the exception of this curried carrot soup), and don’t even talk to me about creamy chicken noodle. My soup routine needed a hot night on the town, and this Slow Cooker Jalapeño Cheddar Cheese Soup is the result.
This thick and creamy potato cheddar cheese soup begins as so many great vegetable soups do: onions sautéed with butter, garlic, and love. I added carrots for sweetness and lots of potatoes for thickness and body. (Potatoes also make the soup much healthier than traditional, heavy cream-based cheese soup.) If we left things here, however, it would surely still be December. This is March (March!), so let’s throw in a handful of jalapeños, hit the pot with some cayenne, and will the snow to melt under their peppery heat.
This is a slow cooker cheese soup recipe, so you can return home to its warmth waiting for you like a trusty pair of slippers. Stir in a generous handful of cheese just before serving (dairy-free soups were for January), then serve yourself a steaming bowl. It’s love at first bite.
Slow Cooker Cheddar Cheese Soup Serving Suggestions
While devouring bowls of this creamy cheese soup by themselves is certainly a fantastic meatless meal by itself, it’s also fantastic served as a side to a roast beef panini, or grilled chicken burgers.
Slow Cooker Jalapeno Potato Cheese Soup, are you tired? Because you’ve been running through my mind all day.
Slow Cooker Jalapeño Cheddar Cheese Soup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion — chopped
- 2 carrots, — peeled and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 jalapeños, — seeded and diced, plus additional jalapeño slices for serving
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups low sodium chicken — or vegetable broth
- 3 small Yukon gold potatoes, — peeled and chopped
- 1 3/4 cups freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese, — plus additional for serving
- Green onions — for serving
- Melt the butter in a large, deep stockpot or Dutch over medium high heat. Add the onion, carrots, and jalapenos and sauté until just beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper and cook the garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds. Sprinkle the flour over the top of the vegetables, then cook 1 additional minute until lightly golden. Slowly stir in the milk and cook until the mixture thickens, about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Transfer the mixture to a 4-quart or larger slow cooker. Stir in the chicken stock, then add the chopped potato. Cover and cook until the vegetables are tender, 5 to 6 hours on low.
- Transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and puree in batches until smooth (alternatively, you can use an immersion blender directly in the slow cooker). Stir in the cheese a half-cup at a time, allowing it to melt completely before stirring in the next half cup. Serve garnished with jalapeño slices, green onions, and additional cheddar cheese.
Did you try this recipe? I want to see! Follow Well Plated on Instagram, snap a photo, and tag it #wellplated. I love to know what you are making!
This post contains some affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.