Tomato Chicken is a super-simple, one-pan, 30-minute chicken dinner recipe, guaranteed to spark a summer love song in your kitchen.
I often post behind-the-scenes shots of the different recipes I’m testing, and I love seeing your reactions.
Of all of the recipes I’ve posted to my story in the last few weeks, today’s simple combination of chicken and fresh tomatoes received the most requests.
Don’t let the basic ingredient list or small number of steps in the skillet tomato chicken recipe fool you.
This one-pan wonder hits every note on the flavor bar.
Simple Ingredients in Skillet Tomato Chicken
The chicken is moist and juicy, a handful of capers and splash of red wine vinegar provide acidity and pop, garlic and parsley add freshness, and a small drizzle of honey adds just the right amount of sweetness to balance the dish and help the tomatoes caramelize.
And oh, the cherry tomatoes! They are my very favorite part of the tomato chicken recipe.
Fresh tomatoes in all sizes, colors, and shapes are one of summer’s most precious gifts.
I could not imagine a better way to celebrate them and land dinner on the table in a timely fashion than with today’s Garlic Chicken and Tomatoes recipe.
PSA: If you love fresh tomatoes the way I do, use them to make my Italian Farro Salad. So good!
I used a tri-color selection of cherry and grape tomatoes, but feel free to swap whatever looks best at the store or is most ripe from your garden.
More Easy One Pan Recipes
Recommended Tools to Make This Recipe
- Cast Iron. A great tool for making this recipe.
- Non-Slip Cutting Board. A great cutting board that won’t slip out from under you.
Side Dishes To Serve with Skillet Tomato Chicken
- Asparagus in The Oven – This simple recipe for oven roasted asparagus is an easy healthy side dish! Perfectly crispy and tender. Add Parmesan and lemon, or enjoy it as it is!
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes – How to make the best oven roasted sweet potatoes. Crispy outside, creamy inside and seasoned to perfection. Healthy, versatile and delicious!
- Roasted Carrots – Delicious honey roasted carrots! These sweet and savory flavors make this a go-to recipe for carrots and a tasty, healthy side.
Simple Chicken and Tomatoes Skillet with Garlic and Capers
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 4 small or 3 medium breasts)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1/2 medium red onion diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic about 3 cloves
- 4 cups grape tomatoes or other assorted tomatoes, or diced plum tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup drained capers
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Lightly pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness. Sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a large, heavy-bottomed skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high. Once hot, add the chicken breasts, top-side down, and let cook undisturbed for 4 minutes, until lightly browned. Flip and cook an additional 4 minutes. Turn again and continue cooking 3 to 5 additional minutes, flipping every few minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. The total cooking time will vary depending upon the thickness of your chicken. Remove to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Without wiping the pan, reduce the skillet heat to medium. Add the remaining tablespoon olive oil, swirl to coat the pan, then add the red onion and let cook until slightly softened, about 3 minutes, scraping the browned bits off the bottom of the pan as it cooks. Add the garlic and let cook 30 seconds until fragrant, then add the tomatoes, capers, red wine vinegar, honey, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Let cook until the tomatoes begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Return the chicken to the pan. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.Register