My favorite time-saving kitchen shortcut? Outsource side dishes like these Crockpot Carrots to the slow cooker.
The next time you need an easy side dish with wide curb appeal and minimal prep time, honey carrots made in a slow cooker will ride to your rescue.
Naturally sweet carrots are a kid-friendly gateway vegetable, and the addition of fresh orange zest, a drizzle of honey, and a touch of butter makes this recipe interesting for adults too.
Plus, the carrots can even be prepped in advance, so they’re the ideal side dish for a holiday, party, or busy weeknight.
Delightfully sweet, unbelievably easy, tender, and delicious leftover, these crockpot carrots will be the ace up your sleeve any night of the week.
5 Star Review
“In my mind, I can still smell these delicious carrots cooking on Easter. They were such a delicious surprise! This recipe is now a family favorite & will be a regular on the menu.”— Debbie —
This honey crockpot carrots recipe cooks in about six hours on LOW, but if you are pressed for time (or, um, forget to turn on the crock pot at the opportune moment), you can speed them along on HIGH and have them ready in as few as two hours.
While you can overcook vegetables in a slow cooker, because carrots are firmer to begin with, they can stand up to the hours of cooking without becoming mushy.
I like to leave my carrots pleasantly plump in size, but if you are truly in a rush, smaller cut carrots will cook even more quickly.
How to Make Crockpot Carrots
The next time you are hosting a holiday meal or just need an easy, healthy side dish recipe (tonight?), crockpot carrots are practically a freebie.
The prep work is so breezy, and since you can put raw carrots in a slow cooker, it does all the cooking for you.
- Carrots. The carrots will soften in the slow cooker and become perfectly tender and flavorful. Plus, carrots are rich in vitamins, fiber, and potassium.
- Butter. Butter pairs wonderfully with the honey and bathes the carrots in an addictively rich and flavorful sauce.
- Honey. Naturally sweetens the carrots and gives them that beloved sticky, honey flavor.
- Orange Zest. For a little brightness and acidity. It makes the carrots pop!
- Peel and chop the carrots.
- Melt the butter, then add it to the slow cooker with the honey, zest, and salt. Stir in the carrots.
- Cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours or on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours. DIG IN!
Slow Cooker Savory Carrots
For a savory version of this recipe, reduce the honey to 2 tablespoons and add 2 cloves of minced garlic, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme.
- To Store. Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight storage container for up to 4 days. The butter will harden on the outside, but it will melt again and be delicious when the leftover carrots are reheated.
- To Reheat. Rewarm carrots in a baking dish in the oven at 350 degrees F.
- To Freeze. Freeze leftovers in an airtight freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Meal Plan Tip
Carrots can be peeled and sliced up to 2 days in advance.
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe
- Slow Cooker. Perfect for making crockpot carrots and sweet potatoes alike.
- Vegetable Peeler. The easiest way to peel carrots.
- Saucepan. A kitchen tool you’ll use on repeat.
- Peel the carrots and slice into 1 1/2-inch chunks. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan or a microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter. Pour into the bottom of a 4-quart or larger slow cooker. Add the honey, orange zest, and salt, then stir to combine. Add the carrots and stir to coat.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 2-3 hours until tender, stirring once halfway through. Serve warm, garnished with parsley.
- TO MAKE AHEAD: Carrots can be peeled and sliced up to 2 days in advance.
- TO STORE: Store leftovers in the refrigerator—the butter will harden on the outside but melt again and be delicious when the leftover carrots are reheated.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite recipes and access FREE meal plans.Sign Me Up