A simple, summery dinner, Grilled Chicken Fajitas bring the restaurant experience home to your back porch! Wrap ’em up in tortillas and all of your favorite toppings for a tasty, healthy Tex-Mex meal.
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE?
From time to time, we'll send you the best of Well Plated. We respect your privacy and you can opt out anytime.
Already registered? Log in here.
This summer, I’m aiming to grill at least twice a week, a goal I feel is completely attainable, particularly now that these grilled chicken fajitas in foil are in our lives.
I am still on the more novice end of the grilling spectrum (I just mastered these Chicken Kabobs).
That’s why you can trust my sincerity when I say this: ANYONE can make these grilled chicken fajitas (and Shrimp Fajitas).
5 Star Review
“I have made these twice already and love, love, love them! They’re quick and easy to make but taste awesome. My husband is a big fan as well!”— Megan —
About These Grilled Chicken Fajitas
Whether you work the grill like a master chef or you don’t know how to light it, you can make chicken fajitas on the grill in foil.
Here are a few of the ways this recipe sets you up for a grilling victory:
- The foil packet acts like a super shield to ensure recipe success. (I also used this trick in my Cajun Shrimp Boil Foil Packets recipe.)
- Like with my Fajita Chicken Kebabs, I have a perfectly spiced, Tex-Mex terrific chicken fajita seasoning blend all measured out for you, so you won’t need a special spice packet or marinade.
- Simply slice the chicken and your veggies of choice, toss them with the chicken fajita seasoning, then pile them into the foil. Make a packet, toss it on the grates, and DONE.
How to Make Grilled Chicken Fajitas
The beauty of grilled food is its simplicity and versatility.
- Use your favorite veggies. Anything that cooks in a similar amount of time is game.
- Change up the seasonings to make them as spicy (or not) as you wish.
- For different proteins option, check out Steak Fajitas, or use the shrimp from Shrimp Tacos to make fajitas instead.
With the right ingredients in hand, the rest is simple.
You’re ready to make the best grilled chicken fajitas!
- Chicken Breast. A favorite lean protein in our house, especially for the grill. Chicken breast is healthy and delicious.
- Vegetables. Bell peppers, red onions, and zucchini are the vegetables I used for these fajitas. Nutritious, colorful, and tasty, they’re the perfect trio to pair with the chicken.
- Chicken Fajita Seasoning. A smoky, zippy, earthy, and slightly spicy blend of lime juice, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, onion powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Add the chicken and vegetables to a bowl. Toss them with the fajita seasoning.
- Wrap the chicken and vegetables into six foil packets, sealing the edges.
- Grill for 8 to 12 minutes at 450 degrees F. Carefully open the packets, allowing steam to escape. Serve warm with tortillas. ENJOY!
- To Store. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm leftovers gently in the microwave.
Meal Prep Tip
Chicken and vegetables can be seasoned and stored in the refrigerator up to 1 day in advance. I haven’t tried also assembling the foil packets in advance, but I think you could assemble and refrigerate them for a few hours, then place them on the grill when you are ready to cook.
Recommended Tools to Make This Recipe
- Rimmed Baking Sheets. Great for transporting items to and from the grill.
- Grill Tongs. A grilling essential.
These grilled chicken fajitas are going to be a staple at our table, and I hope you enjoy them in your home too!
Grilled Chicken Fajitas
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 red bell peppers or yellow or orange bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 red onion seeded and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 zucchini cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- For serving: flour or whole wheat tortillas sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt), shredded cheese, diced avocado, sliced green onion, fresh cilantro, lime wedges
- Preheat the grill to medium/medium high (about 450° F). Place the chicken, bell peppers, onion, and zucchini in a large bowl. Top with the lime juice, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, onion powder, and cayenne. Toss to coat.
- Lay 6 large pieces of heavy-duty foil on the counter (if not using heavy duty, use two pieces of regular foil stacked on top of each other for each packet). Generously coat the foil with nonstick spray. Divide the chicken and vegetables among the 6 pieces of foil, then wrap them to form packets: bring up 2 sides of the foil so the edges meet. Seal the edges, making a tight 1/2-inch fold, then fold again, allowing space for heat to circulate. Fold in the ends to seal.
- Grill for 8 to 12 minutes, until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and the vegetables are crisp-tender. Carefully open the foil and allow steam to escape. Serve warm with tortillas and desired toppings.
- TO STORE: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Rewarm gently in the microwave.
- TO MAKE AHEAD: Chicken and vegetables can be seasoned and stored in the refrigerator up to 1 day in advance. I haven’t tried also assembling the foil packets in advance, but I think you could assemble and refrigerate them for a few hours, then place them on the grill when you are ready to cook.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite recipes and access FREE meal plans.Sign Me Up