Healthy Banana Bread is my forever faithful friend. I’ve made this recipe dozens of times over the years. Whatever my mood or motivation, it comforts me in the most genuine, judgment-free fashion, the way a true friend would.
Healthy banana bread, you make me feel seen!
This easy banana bread recipe is made with yogurt and is 100% whole grain. It’s naturally sweetened with honey or pure maple syrup.
It’s also marvelously moist, fluffy, and easy to make. It uses just ONE BOWL and you don’t even need a mixer!
You may find yourself subconsciously stockpiling bananas, just so they can turn spotty and you have a new excuse to whip up a loaf.
While I’ve certainly baked my share of different banana breads (Pumpkin Banana Bread, Zucchini Banana Bread, and Paleo Banana Bread are but a few) when I’m craving a simple, classic banana bread recipe, this one is my go to.
Of course, if you feel the urge to turn it into a healthy chocolate banana bread with chocolate chips, or go the banana nut route with walnuts, I certainly won’t stop you.
5 Star Review
“This was THE best banana bread I’ve ever made! Definitely a redo in our household. Thank you for this amazing recipe!”— Nat —
How to Make Healthy Banana Bread
To me, banana bread is the embodiment of homeyness and warmth, in baked breakfast form.
This easy banana bread is good for you and made with nutritious ingredients, but it doesn’t sacrifice the pure comfort you long for when you reach for a slice.
I have yet to serve it and not have someone ask me for the recipe on the spot!
- Bananas. The delicious star of the show! Bananas add wonderful moisture, natural sweetness, and nutrition. They’re packed with potassium and fiber.
- Whole Wheat Flour. To keep this bread on the wholesome side, I used whole wheat flour. It works perfectly in this recipe and adds a light nuttiness.
- Greek Yogurt. Adds protein, moisture, and helps to tenderize the bread.
- Brown Sugar + Maple Syrup. While this isn’t an exclusively no sugar healthy banana bread, it uses just the right amount of brown sugar to create a moist texture. The rest of the flavor comes from maple syrup, which helps reduce the amount refined sugar in banana bread and adds rich flavor.
- Canola Oil. Just 2 tablespoons are all this recipe needs; the rest of the moisture comes from the bananas and yogurt. I would not recommend making this healthy banana bread with applesauce instead, as the bread will be too dry. I’ve cut down on the oil as much as possible.
- Vanilla + Cinnamon. Two cozy, must-have ingredients that make this bread taste truly special.
- Mash the bananas.
- Whisk in the egg, yogurt, and oil.
- Whisk in the brown sugar, syrup, and vanilla. Stir in the baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Stir in the flour. Fold in any mix-ins.
- Transfer the batter to a loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 to 60 minutes. Banana bread can be undercooked, so make sure to check it before letting it cool. DIG IN!
Banana Bread Mix-Ins
- Chocolate Chips. Add ¾ cups of dark chocolate chips for a healthy chocolate banana bread.
- Nuts or Fruit. If you’d like a more low calorie banana bread recipe, you can omit the chocolate chips or swap them for chopped nuts, fresh or frozen blueberries, or chopped dried fruit such as cranberries or cherries.
- Healthy Banana Bread Muffins. You can also bake this exact recipe as healthy banana bread muffins. For more detail, please see the notes in the recipe directions below.
- Healthy Banana Bread with Oats. Looking for a recipe that uses oats? Check out my Oatmeal Banana Bread.
- To Make Vegan. For a vegan recipe, try these Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins.
- Almond Flour Healthy Banana Bread. Try my tasty Almond Flour Banana Bread.
- To Store. Store bread at room temperature in an airtight storage container lined with paper towels for up to 1 week.
- To Freeze. Freeze leftover bread in an airtight freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight at room temperature before serving.
Cut your leftover bread into slices and individually wrap them before freezing. Then, you can thaw and enjoy slices as desired for a quick treat.
Recommended Tools to Make Banana Bread
- Loaf Pan. Easy to use and clean.
- Measuring Cups. High-quality cups that are easy to store.
- Measuring Spoons. These spoons are double-sided, meaning you’ll have fewer dishes to wash.
Healthy Banana Bread
- 1 ½ cups mashed overripe bananas about 11 ounces or 3 large
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt I used nonfat. OK to substitute vanilla, though the bread will be a bit sweeter.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or melted cooled coconut oil*
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups white whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate (optional)
- Place the rack in the center of your oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Mash the bananas in the bottom of a large bowl until mostly smooth.
- Whisk in the egg, then the yogurt and oil.
- Whisk in the brown sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda, cinnamon, and salt over the top, then stir until combined.
- Gently stir in the flour until barely combined, then fold in any mix-ins.
- Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Check at the 35-minute mark and tent with foil if the bread is browning too quickly at the corners. Place the pan on a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and place on rack to finish cooling completely (for neat slicing), or enjoy warm and don’t worry if the slices are messy.
- *If using coconut oil, be sure all of the ingredients are at room temperature and the coconut oil has cooled, or it will resolidify when it touches the cold ingredients.
- TO MAKE MUFFINS: To bake this recipe as 12 muffins instead of in a loaf pan, lightly grease a standard muffin tin, then divide the batter evenly among the cups. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the muffins spring back lightly when touched.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.Register