Someone should write a Christmas carol about butter. I’m not volunteering per se, but after a few Hot Buttered Bourbon cider cocktails, I may burst into song.
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE?
From time to time, we'll send you the best of Well Plated. We respect your privacy and you can opt out anytime.
Already registered? Log in here.
I’m not sure how a holiday without butter would go down, but I don’t think I want to be a part of it. If ever an ingredient deserved a holiday theme song, butter might be it!
Or bourbon might be it.
We can debate over our second round of this warm bourbon cocktail!
This hot buttered bourbon is warm, cinnamony, buttery romance. It sips like a special occasion.
The butter melts into the apple cider and spices, adding creaminess and depth to every sip, while the smooth bourbon keeps the drink from being overly sweet.
Hot buttered bourbon is guaranteed to keep you toasty and happy on the inside, even if the weather is drizzly and chilly on the outside.
5 Star Review
“OMG. This is superb! The air smelled so nice! Thanks for the recipe!”— Marlene —
How to Make Hot Buttered Bourbon
The inspiration for my hot buttered bourbon cocktails came from a classic winter warmer, hot buttered rum.
I updated the typical buttered rum recipe to include two of my favorite cold-weather ingredients: bourbon, and apple cider.
I also kept the recipe easy to make—no need to prep and chill the spiced butter ahead of time.
- Apple Cider. A classic ingredient for a fall cocktail. I love how apple cider tastes with the spices, butter, and bourbon. (If you do too, you’ll also love this Apple Cider Cocktail.)
- Butter. This cocktail isn’t greasy or heavy; rather, the butter makes it smooth, creamy, and utterly delightful.
- Honey. For a touch of warmth and sweetness.
- Spices. Cloves, cinnamon, and ginger come together to make this drink taste truly cozy.
- Bourbon. Hot bourbon drinks are a true treat! Bourbon is a treat in my Gold Rush Cocktail as well.
- Cinnamon Sticks. A fun and flavorful garnish.
- Simmer the cider. Mix the butter, honey, and spices together. Whisk the butter mixture into the cider.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the bourbon. Serve with cinnamon sticks and ENJOY! This might be the easiest fall cocktail ever!
The drink may separate a little as it cools. It will still taste delicious, but if this bothers you, simply stir it back together with a spoon or cinnamon stick.
While this drink is best enjoyed the day it is made, you can enjoy the leftovers the next day.
- To Store. Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight storage container for up to 3 days.
- To Reheat. Gently rewarm hot buttered bourbon in a saucepan on the stovetop over medium-low heat until hot. Stir frequently.
Recommended Tools to Make Hot Buttered Bourbon
- Saucepan. An essential tool for every kitchen.
- Ladle. Perfect for serving your hot buttered bourbon cocktails.
- Measuring Spoons. Double-sided spoons = fewer dishes to wash.
Cheers! I hope this warm bourbon apple cider cocktail warms your spirits (and your belly too!).
Hot Buttered Bourbon
want to save this recipe?
From time to time, we’ll send you the best of Well Plated. We respect your privacy and you can opt out anytime.
Already registered? Log in here.
- In a small sauce pan over low heat, bring cider to a gentle simmer. In a small bowl, mix together the butter, honey, cloves, cinnamon, and ginger with a spoon until combined. Add the butter mixture to the cider, whisking just until it melts.
- Remove pan from heat, whisk in the bourbon and serve immediately. Garnish with cinnamon sticks.
- The drink may separate a little as it cools. It will still taste delicious, but if this bothers you, simply stir it back together with a spoon or cinnamon stick. I use Bulleit brand bourbon (my favorite!), but feel free to substitute your bourbon of choice. A rye whiskey would be wonderful as well.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite recipes and access FREE meal plans.Sign Me Up