It might have the longest name ever—Maple Bourbon Crock Pot BBQ Chicken Sandwiches with apple slaw—but I didn’t want to leave you without a sense of the epic, messy, BBQ sandwich tastiness that awaits!
About Maple Bourbon Crock Pot BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
These sweet and savory maple bourbon crock pot BBQ chicken sandwiches are an ideal summer meal or game day entertaining recipe. Guests can help themselves while you relax, and everyone will be licking their fingers by the end.
The slaw is cool and crunchy. I love it both on top of these sandwiches and as a stand-alone side.
More Easy Slow Cooker Recipes for Sandwiches
Tools Used to Make This Recipe
- Slow Cooker. This one is great because it deters overcooking.
- Mixing Bowls. Stackable for easy storage and microwave safe.
Maple Bourbon BBQ Chicken Sandwiches with Apple Slaw
For the Sandwiches:
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup bourbon
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup (I recommend Grade B)
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, plus optional additional for serving
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Whole wheat buns for serving
For the Slaw:
- 1 bag broccoli slaw (10 ounces)
- 2 scallions finely chopped
- 1 tart firm apple, such as Granny Smith, finely cut into thin, short matchsticks
- 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- For the chicken: Place the chicken thighs in the bottom of a 5-6 quarter slow cooker.
- In a mixing bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the ketchup, bourbon, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, molasses, mustard, Worcestershire, onion powder, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes. Pour over the chicken. Cover and cook for 2 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low, until the chicken is cooked through. Transfer to a large bowl or plate and shred with two forks.
- While the chicken cooks, prepare the slaw. Place the broccoli slaw, scallions, and apple in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the Greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, salt, and pepper until smooth. Pour over the slaw, toss to coat evenly, then refrigerate for 2 hours or up to 1 day. (The slaw tastes best when allowed to sit in the refrigerator for a few hours.)
- Assemble the sandwiches: Spread the buns with Dijon mustard (optional). Pile the shredded chicken onto the bottom bun, top with slaw, then add the top bun. Enjoy warm.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.Register