Pretzel S’mores Bites
Adult struggles of the week: our kitchen light and microwave cannot operate simultaneously without blowing a fuse; my rear car window spontaneously shattered while I was on the highway; I can’t stop eating Chocolate-Dipped Pretzel S’mores Bites.
One of these is not a real problem. Hint: It’s the one that involves buttery, salty pretzels, sweet, sticky marshmallows, melted dark chocolate, graham cracker crumbs, and creamy peanut butter.
We’re contacting an electrician to solve the mystery of the microwave, and the dealership is repairing my car (the window really did completely shatter while I was cruising in the left lane—it was scary and glass showered everywhere; I’m grateful to be OK). That just leaves me with the “problem” of what to do with the Pretzel S’mores Bites that have me under their salty-sweet spell. Think I can offer a plate to the dealership in exchange for a discount on the new glass?
S’mores have been a treasured part of my summer tradition since my dad first took me camping as an eager eight-year-old. To this day, I can’t let a summer pass without burning my tongue on at least one molten marshmallow. While I do love a classic campfire s’more, I also find the combination of graham cracker, marshmallow, and chocolate far too enticing to limit to a single treat.
Today’s Pretzel S’mores Bites are a tasty twist on the summer campfire classic. They’re easy to make and would be a fun summer activity to complete with kids. If you have any upcoming parties or potlucks (Fourth of July perhaps?), these s’mores bites are also an ideal dessert to bring, as they can be made in advance and travel well too.
Although classic s’mores don’t involve pretzels, I preferred them over graham crackers as the base for this recipe, because they are sturdy enough to stand up to a heavy chocolate dip. Their crunch and salty bite are also positively habit-forming when paired with the sweet chocolate and fluffy marshmallows. Consider yourself duly warned.
Once the pretzel gauntlet is laid, place the marshmallows on top. This photo makes me want to reach out and pinch them—they’re just so fluffy!
Bake the s’mores bites in oven until the marshmallows puff and are lightly golden. Then, it’s time for a rogue s’mores move: peanut butter. If you’ve never tried making a s’more with a peanut butter cup instead the traditional chocolate bar, you are missing out on one of the most beautiful combinations in life. Envision a fluffernutter sandwich that’s been gifted chocolate super powers, toasted by an angel. Peanut butter s’mores are THAT GOOD.
In addition to being creamy and delectable, the peanut butter also acts as a “glue” to attach the top pretzel.
Now, the good stuff: chocolate. Dip generously.
To complete the s’mores bites, shower on a dusting graham cracker crumbs before the chocolate sets. Things might get a little messy, but that is exactly how s’mores should be.
Now all that’s left is to eat! This recipe will yield 48 baby s’more bites that you can enjoy any time of day, no campfire required.
Tools I used to make this recipe:
Pretzel S'mores Bites
Indoor Pretzel Smores Bites: a marshmallow peanut butter pretzel “sandwich” baked to gooey perfection, then dipped in chocolate. Quick and easy in the oven!
Yield: 48 bites
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 8 ounces chopped semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- Square-shaped pretzels (also called pretzel snaps; 96 total)
- 24 regularly-sized marshmallows
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter (do not use the natural kind that must be refrigerated, as it will not set)
- Finely crushed graham cracker crumbs (2-3 sheets will be plenty)
- Place a rack in the center of your oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat mats. Set aside.
- Place the chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl, then place the bowl over a pan of simmering water, making sure that the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl. Melt the chocolate and coconut oil together, stirring occasionally. Once the chocolate has nearly melted, remove the pan from the heat and continue stirring to melt the chocolate completely. Set aside, leaving the bowl on top of the pan.
- Arrange 48 pretzels in a single layer on the baking sheets, leaving at least 1 1/2 inches between each pretzel to allow room for the marshmallows to expand. Slice each marshmallow in half around its middle, then place one half on each pretzel. Bake until the marshmallows have melted a little and are just barely beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 3 minutes.
- Place a scant 1/4 teaspoon of peanut butter in the center of each marshmallow, then, using the peanut butter like glue, gently press a second pretzel on top to create a pretzel-marshmallow sandwich.
- Remove the chocolate from the pan of simmering water. Quickly dip half of each s’mores bite into the melted chocolate. Place the s’mores bite on the baking sheet and, while the chocolate is still wet, sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs. Repeat for remaining bites. If necessary, place the baking sheet in the refrigerator or freezer for a few minutes to allow the chocolate to set. Enjoy!
Store leftover s’mores bites in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Serving Size: 1 bite
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 84
- Total Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 42mg
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 6g
- Protein: 1g
Did you try this recipe? I want to see! Follow Well Plated on Instagram, snap a photo, and tag it #wellplated. I love to know what you are making!
If you like these Pretzel S’mores Bites, don’t miss these other s’mores recipes!