Blueberry Lemon Oven Pancake
Today’s Blueberry Lemon Oven Pancake is a beautiful, humbling reminder that my primary duty as a cook is to take the best ingredients I can find…and not mess them up.
I can’t take credit for that line—I heard it from Anthony Bourdain, who repeated it from someone else, on an old episode of No Reservations—but as someone who has a propensity for making things unnecessarily complicated, it stuck with me.
When I set out to make an oven pancake (or German pancake or Dutch baby or puff pancake—I never did find a clear distinction between the terms, so pick your favorite), I didn’t think it would be difficult; I just had no idea it would be this easy.
Or that it would taste this good.
About This Tasty Oven Pancake
This oven pancake is tender and almost crepe-like in texture, with a delicate, buttery flavor that melts on your tongue. The blueberries soften and burst in the oven, and their juiciness against the brightness of the lemon zest tastes of the promise of sunny summer mornings to come.
Don’t let the simplicity of this oven pancake recipe fool you. A look at the short ingredient list (flour, butter, milk, eggs, vanilla) and process (mix batter; dump batter into dish; bake) will lead you to suspect that nothing remarkable is happening here. After all, how can a recipe that takes only three minutes to prep be anything special?
The truth is, I am still not sure. All that I can tell you is that every bite I took of this blueberry lemon oven pancake was more heavenly than the one before. While, happily, recipes often turn out better than I expected, this one astonished me. It’s simple and exquisite. Pop one into your oven this weekend, and see if you don’t agree!
More Delicious Pancake Recipes
- Vegan Pancakes
- Banana Oatmeal Pancakes
- Coconut Flour Pancakes
- Gingerbread Pancakes
- Healthy Pumpkin Pancakes
- Overnight Blueberry Coconut French Toast Bake
- Classic Fluffy Pancakes
- Skillet Red Velvet Pancakes
Tools Used to Make This Recipe
Blueberry Lemon Oven Pancake
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup milk - I used non-fat—use 2% for a richer pancake or swap almond or soy milk to make dairy free
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour - or substitute additional all-purpose flour. Regular whole wheat flour will result in a denser texture
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup blueberries - fresh or frozen—if using frozen no need to thaw first
- Serving ideas: powdered sugar; - additional lemon zest; butter; honey and/or pure maple syrup; jam; whipped cream; ricotta cheese; Greek yogurt; additional berries
- Place a rack in the center of your oven. Set a 9x13-inch baking dish on the rack, then preheat the oven (with the dish in it) to 425 degrees F.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or a medium mixing bowl with a hand mixer (or by hand with some elbow grease), briskly combine the eggs, milk, vanilla, and lemon zest. Add the all purpose flour, whole wheat pastry flour, sugar, and salt. Continue whisking until the batter is very smooth and no lumps remain. If you need to do so, melt the butter and have it on hand. Keep a pastry brush or similar on hand as well.
- When the oven has preheated, remove the baking pan from the oven and immediately pour in the melted butter. Be careful, as the butter will splatter and sizzle when it hits the hot pan. With a pastry brush, quickly spread the butter up the sides of the pan, then pour in the batter. Sprinkle the top with 1/2 cup blueberries.
- Bake the pancake for 20-25 minutes, very puffy, deep golden brown on the top edges, and the center has set. Check the pancake at the 15-minute mark. If it has already begun to turn very brown on top, place a sheet of aluminum foil loosely over the the top to shield it, then continue baking as directed. Dust with powdered sugar. Slice and serve warm with desired toppings.
This post contains some affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.