Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts are one of my all-time favorite side dishes. Deliciously crispy, richly caramelized, and almost sweet, don’t be surprised when you finding yourself eating these tasty morsels straight off the sheet pan like candy!
The trick to cooking perfect, crispy brussels sprouts is oven roasting. This recipe is foolproof and will ensure you cook up a delicious pan of brussels sprouts every single time.
While I love my oven-roasted brussels sprouts most with the simple combination olive oil, salt, and pepper, for a change of pace, I’ve included a few of my favorite flavor twists, including roasted brussels sprouts with garlic, roasted brussels sprouts with balsamic, and a guaranteed crowd pleaser, roasted brussels sprouts with bacon.
I’ve found that even the pickiest of vegetable eaters still enjoy this recipe. It takes less than 10 minutes prep, and any leftovers you don’t polish off right away can be gently reheated the next day in the oven. I love making a big batch of Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts at the beginning of the week, then adding the leftovers to salads, egg scrambles, and pizzas throughout the week.
My favorite way to enjoy these Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts, however, will forever be right off of the sheet pan. Try this recipe for perfect, crispy sprouts and see if you don’t find yourself addicted too!
Tips to Make Perfect, Crispy Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts:
- Use enough olive oil. Without it, the Brussels sprouts won’t caramelize properly.
- Make sure your oven is up to temperature. High heat is necessary for that addictive crispy outside and tender inside.
- And my favorite secret tip (picked up from Ali): Prior to putting the sprouts in the oven, flip them so that they are all cut sides down. I know this is a little tedious, but if you arrange the Brussels cut-sides down on the pan to start, they end up more crispy in the end. It’s worth it!
Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts
How to make perfect, crispy oven roasted brussels sprouts. Foolproof method that works every time! Try these for a quick and easy weeknight side.
Yield: 3–4 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional flavor additions: garlic powder (2 teaspoons); smoked paprika (1 to 2 teaspoons); dried thyme leaves or Italian seasoning (1 tablespoon); balsamic vinegar or lemon juice (about 2 tablespoons)*; bacon (4 thick slices, cut into 1-inch pieces)—see recipe notes
- Place a rack in the upper third of your oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the Brussels sprouts in the center of a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and any other desired spice additions. Gently mix until the Brussels sprouts are evenly coated, then spread them into a single layer on the baking sheet. For even better crisping, flip the Brussels sprouts so that they are all cut sides down.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until the Brussels sprouts are lightly charred and crisp on the outside and tender in the center. The outer leaves will very dark too. Watch carefully towards the end of the baking time, as the cooking time will vary based on the size of your sprouts. Season with additional salt and/or pepper to taste. Enjoy immediately.
- I most often make my brussels sprouts with a simple blend of olive oil, salt, and pepper, but feel free to add any other spice you like. The ingredients and amounts listed are just suggestions.
- For Bacon Brussels Sprouts: Add the bacon pieces to the sheet pan right along with the brussels sprouts in Step 1. They will cook in about the same amount of time.
- For Balsamic or Lemon Brussels Sprouts: Drizzle the vinegar or lemon juice over the sprouts after removing them from the oven. Return the pan to the oven for 1 to 2 minutes, then serve.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Re-crisp in a low oven or rewarm in the microwave.
Serving Size: 1 (of 4)
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 113 Calories
- Total Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Sodium: 140mg
- Carbohydrates: 6g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sugar: 5g
- Protein: 5g
Did you try this recipe? I want to see! Follow Well Plated on Instagram, snap a photo, and tag it #wellplated. I love to know what you are making!
This post contains some affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.