I’m patenting a new line of therapy guaranteed to relieve stress and promote mental well-being. It’s called the Raspberry Chipotle Bacon Grilled Cheese diet. You heard it here first and it’s going to be the next viral social media craze.
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE?
From time to time, we'll send you the best of Well Plated. We respect your privacy and you can opt out anytime.
Already registered? Log in here.
Since starting a food blog, I’ve learned that every ingredient, every recipe category, and even every lima bean (April 20th) has its own “holiday.”
Honestly, unless it’s a day when I’m a) freakishly organized, b) feeling kitschy, and c) totally obsessed with whatever food is “on holiday,” I tend to miss most of these events.
Grilled cheese is an exception for a few reasons:
- One. We eat it all the time, holiday or not. I never need an excuse to eat grilled cheese.
- Two. Grilled cheese (in my opinion) has been deemed worthy of its own month.
- Three. While a classic Air Fryer Grilled Cheese will always be divine, I will always look for any opportunity to jazz up a grilled cheese with fun, unexpected ingredients. (I’m talking about you Avocado Grilled Cheese).
How to Make Raspberry Chipotle Bacon Grilled Cheese
With melty cheddar, sweet raspberries, salty bacon, and spicy chipotle peppers, this sandwich has everything a proper grilled cheese sandwich could ever need to be delicious. (This Apple Grilled Cheese with Turkey is also perfectly balanced.)
- Bread. This fruity-gooey-smoky-bacony creation begins and ends with excellent bread. The bread is the first and last thing you taste when biting into a grilled cheese sandwich. Choose something thick, hearty, and full of flavor (this Oatmeal Bread is great for grilled cheese).
- Butter. For toasting up the bread to golden perfection in the skillet.
- Cheese. I love sharp white cheddar. It has stellar flavor, melts beautifully, and pairs well with bacon and berries.
- Raspberry Chipotle Filling. Made with mashed fresh raspberries, a bit of raspberry jam, and smoky dried chipotle powder. It’s sweet, spicy, and sultry.
- Bacon. For some salty crunch that contrasts all the sweet, spicy, and creamy ingredients. (Try this Air Fryer Bacon recipe).
- Cook the bacon (try this oven baked bacon recipe).
- Melt the butter in a skillet.
- Make the sauce by smashing together the raspberries, jam, and chipotle pepper.
- Assemble the sandwiches.
- Toast the sandwiches in the buttered skillet, flipping once, until the bread is golden ad the cheese is melted. Slice and serve. ENJOY!
The other food holiday I’ll never miss? National BLT Sandwich Day (July 22). Mark your calendars.
Frequently Asked Questions
I have only ever made this grilled cheese with raspberries, however, I bet blackberries would also be wonderful if you’d like to experiment.
Sure. For a vegetarian grilled cheese, you can leave the bacon off. You could also try swapping for your favorite vegan bacon-style strips to give the sandwich some of that smoky bacon flavor.
I always have a hard time saying if something is or isn’t spicy since everyone’s tolerance levels are so different. I will say, that I find dried chipotle peppers to be about as spicy as a fresh jalapeno pepper. If you are sensitive to spicy foods you can always scale the amount back and add more until it reaches your preferred level of heat.
Raspberry Chipotle Bacon Grilled Cheese
want to save this recipe?
From time to time, we’ll send you the best of Well Plated. We respect your privacy and you can opt out anytime.
Already registered? Log in here.
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon cooked
- 6 ounces fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons raspberry jam or strawberry jam
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chipotle pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 4 slices hearty bread thickly cut (I used a multigrain sourdough)
- 6 ounces white cheddar cheese sliced
- Cook the bacon (try this oven baked bacon recipe). Once cool, cut each slice in half and set it aside.
- Preheat a cast-iron skillet to medium-low. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in the skillet.
- In a small bowl, gently smash and stir the raspberries, jam, and chipotle together with the back of a spoon. The mixture should remain fairly chunky.
- Assemble the sandwiches: For each sandwich, layer one slice of bread with a quarter of the cheddar, a quarter of the berries, four half-slices of bacon (2 full slices), an additional quarter of the berries, then one additional quarter of the cheese.
- Carefully set the loaded bread slice down in the buttered skillet. Place the remaining bread slice on top of the stack, then with the remaining butter. Cook slowly until the bread is golden and the cheese hot and melted, flipping once, about 4 to 5 minutes per side. (I find it helps to place a lid or another heavy skillet directly over the pan.) Repeat with the second sandwich. Slice and serve immediately.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite recipes and access FREE meal plans.Sign Me Up