At 6:05 a.m. last Friday morning, I boarded a nonstop flight for what my 26-year-old sister described as “the straight-up, 48 hours in Vegas.” A first timer to Vegas myself, I didn’t know what to expect. I had a feeling it was going to be fun, exhausting, and that upon returning home, I’d need a big, beautiful plate of this Watermelon Feta Salad with Mint, Avocado, and Lime.
I was almost right.
I actually needed two things: a big, beautiful plate of Watermelon Feta Salad and a 48-hour nap.
When my younger sister told me that we’d be doing Vegas for her bachelorette party, I was both excited and nervous. I’d never been, and the collective verdict I’d heard from others who had spent time in Sin City was simultaneously enticing and vague.
“You just have to go.”
“It’s something else.”
When pressed for further details, I’d receive a diced up repeat of the same phrases, the conversation usually ending with some combination of “You have to see for yourself” and “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.”
How’s that for alluring and infuriating?
So, after 48 hours in Vegas to “see for myself,” here is what I have to say about it:
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.
KIDDING. Sort of. I’ll spare you the details, but suffice to say that I saw hours on the clock I haven’t since college. I also acutely felt every single one of the five years that has passed since I was 26 myself.
Truly though, Vegas was fun, and I’m glad I had the chance to experience it with my sister and her friends.
About This Watermelon Feta Salad
Fortunately, you don’t need to visit Vegas to appreciate the vibrant flavors of this ultra fresh, restorative Watermelon Feta Salad with Mint, Avocado, and Lime.
I tasted my first watermelon feta salad a few years ago on the Fourth of July and was immediately taken by how complete and refreshingly crisp, sweet watermelon and creamy feta are together. A sprinkle of mint and lime juice added zip and life, and a touch of red onion gave the salad a nice edge that I would have missed without it.
My additions to this popular combo of watermelon, feta, mint, and lime are edamame and avocado. The firm edamame nicely complements the juicy texture of the watermelon, the avocado adds creaminess, and both make the salad more filling and satisfying.
Plus, if you use this incredibly easy method for how to cut a watermelon, the prep will be a breeze.
What to Serve with Watermelon Salad
More Fresh and Delicious Salads
Watermelon Feta Salad with Mint Avocado and Lime
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 4 cups watermelon, 1-inch-diced
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 medium ripe avocado peeled, pitted and cut into large dice
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Place the red onion in a bowl and cover with water. Let soak while you prepare the other ingredients.
- To a large serving bowl, add the watermelon, edamame, mint, and drained red onion. In a small bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, honey, salt, and pepper. Pour over the watermelon mixture and toss to coat. Add the avocado and feta and gently toss to incorporate. Refrigerate until ready to serve. The salad will likely have some excess liquid at the bottom from the watermelon, so I recommend serving it with a slotted spoon.
- Salad can be prepared up to 4 hours in advance. Add the avocado and feta just before serving.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.Register