It’s time to kick back and relax with this refreshing and bright Whiskey Smash cocktail. It has the classic flavor you love with a fun and festive St. Patrick’s Day twist.
A whiskey smash is a classic cocktail with just four ingredients: whiskey, mint, lemon, and simple syrup or sugar.
You don’t need any fancy equipment to make it, and you’ll feel like quite the accomplished home bartender when you shake it up.
If you aren’t a fan of whiskey and have wondered “how do you make whiskey tasty,” a whiskey smash is the perfect place to start.
The brightness of the lemon and crispness of the mint make it more refreshing than boozy, so it’s dangerously easy to drink.
If you are a fan of whiskey, you may have noticed similarities to what is in a whiskey sour or mint julep. All three are very quenchable options.
But if you ask me, a whiskey smash is the best way to drink whiskey, especially if you are new to whiskey drinks.
How to Make a Whiskey Smash
This is a classic whiskey smash cocktail recipe with a few festive tweaks.
I replaced the lemon with lime to make it green, used agave instead of simple syrup because I rarely have prepared simple syrup on hand, and for St. Patrick’s Day, I used Irish whiskey.
If you are trying a whiskey smash for the very first time, I’d recommend starting with the classic recipe using lemon and regular whiskey (or bourbon) instead of the lime and Irish whiskey.
If, however, you are already well acquainted with this cocktail and want to try a fun holiday twist with this green version, by all means, CHEERS!
- Fresh Mint Leaves. Mint teams up with the lime and agave to give this cocktail its signature refreshing and cool taste.
- Lime. Adds brightness and citrus flavor to the cocktail. It gives the whiskey smash punch!
- Light Agave Nectar. A whiskey smash isn’t overly sweet by any means. The agave is here to make the smash taste balanced.
- Whiskey. Irish whiskey is smooth, light, and ideal for mixing into cocktails.
- Muddle the mint leaves, lime, and agave in a cocktail shaker or jar. Top with the whiskey and ice.
- Cover and shake. Pour the cocktail into a glass, top with ice, and garnish with mint. CHEERS!
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe
- Cocktail Shaker. I love this one! The shaker never sticks together when you try to open it, doesn’t leak, and is super easy to clean.
- Muddler. To release flavor from the ingredients.
- Jigger. For the most accurate measurements.
- 8 fresh mint leaves plus additional for garnish
- 1/4 lime (for a green version) or lemon (for a classic version) cut in half
- 2 teaspoons light agave nectar or simple syrup
- 2 ounces Irish whiskey (for the green version); use bourbon or whiskey of choice for the classic version
- Crushed ice
- Place the mint leaves, lime wedges, and agave in the bottom of a cocktail shaker or mason jar. With a muddler or the handle of a wooden spoon, mash 4 to 5 times, just enough to release juices and oils. Add the whiskey and top with a small handful of crushed ice.
- Cover and shake vigorously for 30 seconds to combine. Transfer to an old-fashioned or similar glass. Pile more crushed ice on top. Garnish with additional mint sprigs. Enjoy immediately.
- TO MAKE A CLASSIC WHISKEY SMASH: For each drink, use 1/2 lemon instead of the 1/4 lime and 2 ounces regular whiskey or bourbon (I like Bulleit) in place of Irish whiskey. Or you can do lemon and Irish whiskey, which would be a delicious happy medium.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.Register