What is it about submerging food in a vat of hot oil that makes it so irresistible?
- Fried green tomatoes (delicious and classic)
- Fried pickles (cheeky and yummy)
- Fried Snickers bar (outstanding, but my body rejected me for days afterwards)
For the Fries:
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini — cut into 1/2 in. x 3 in. “sticks” (about 3 medium)
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 large egg whites
- Cooking spray, — preferably canola or olive-oil flavored
For the Basil Dipping Sauce:
- 1/4 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 ateaspoon dried basil — (or 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 475°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
Combine flours, cornmeal, salt, pepper, and onion powder in a large, sealable plastic bag.
Lightly beat egg whites in a bowl large enough to hold zucchini. Coat zucchini thoroughly, then place in plastic bag, shaking off any excess egg white. Seal bag, then shake to coat zucchini.
Spread zucchini on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Coat all exposed sides with cooking spray.
Bake on center rack for 10 minutes, then turn and coat with cooking spray once more. Bake an additional 8-10 minutes, until golden and tender. Serve hot.
Basil Dipping Sauce:
Combine all ingredients. Serve with fries and enjoy.
Did you try this recipe? I want to see! Follow Well Plated on Instagram, snap a photo, and tag it #wellplated. I love to know what you are making!
This post contains some affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.