What is it about submerging food in a vat of hot oil that makes it so irresistible?
- Fried green tomatoes (delicious and classic)
- Fried pickles (cheeky and yummy)
- Fried Snickers bar (outstanding, but my body rejected me for days afterwards)
For the Fries:
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini — cut into 1/2 in. x 3 in. “sticks” (about 3 medium)
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 large egg whites
- Cooking spray, — preferably canola or olive-oil flavored
For the Basil Dipping Sauce:
- 1/4 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 ateaspoon dried basil — (or 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine flours, cornmeal, salt, pepper, and onion powder in a large, sealable plastic bag.
- Lightly beat egg whites in a bowl large enough to hold zucchini. Coat zucchini thoroughly, then place in plastic bag, shaking off any excess egg white. Seal bag, then shake to coat zucchini.
- Spread zucchini on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Coat all exposed sides with cooking spray.
- Bake on center rack for 10 minutes, then turn and coat with cooking spray once more. Bake an additional 8-10 minutes, until golden and tender. Serve hot.
Basil Dipping Sauce:
- Combine all ingredients. Serve with fries and enjoy.
Did you try this recipe? I want to see! Follow Well Plated on Instagram, snap a photo, and tag it #wellplated. I love to know what you are making!
This post contains some affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.