Sweet, spicy, crunchy, and totally irresistible, this homemade Sweet Spicy Chex Mix recipe is the perfect snack to pass around at your next party or holiday gathering.
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE?
From time to time, we'll send you the best of Well Plated. We respect your privacy and you can opt out anytime.
Already registered? Log in here.
Super Man had Kryptonite. For Sampson, it was Delilah; and Achilles—someone definitely should have warned him about that heel.
As I am neither a comic book hero nor a Greek goddess, I’ve been endowed with not one but with many weaknesses, the most recent of which is this sweet spicy Chex mix recipe.
I don’t know what it is about the combination of sweet and savory flavors in this mix (and this Roasted Chickpea Snack Mix), but they give me the insatiable appetite of a teenage boy every single time.
I always tell myself I’ll eat just a handful but, within minutes, my fingers are scraping the bottom of the bowl and I’m running to the kitchen to make another batch. It’s a vicious cycle (and the same thing mysteriously happens when I make these Honey Roasted Cashews too).
5 Star Review
“This stuff is irresistible!!!”— Elizabeth —
How to Make Sweet Spicy Chex Mix
I had the most honorable intentions when making this sweet spicy Chex mix. It was to be a wholesome, filling snack mix—a little bit naughty (like this Taco Popcorn), yes, but still a respectable option to tide me over between meals.
This sweet spicy Chex mix recipe yields a small, 4-cup batch of mix.
As I’ve learned, most intimately, keeping a larger amount in the house is a dangerous, dangerous game.
If you’d like a larger serving, the recipe can easily be doubled for a crowd.
(For a Halloween party, try this Halloween Chex Mix with Candy Corn and Salty Maple Peanuts.)
- Wheat Chex. Sneak in a little fiber.
- Honey Nut Chex. For just the right amount of sweetness.
- Pretzels. Add that salty flair that keep you reaching for another bite of this snack mix.
- Nuts. Choose your favorite combination of nuts. Personally, I went with pecans, almonds, peanuts, and cashews, each offering healthy fats and protein.
- Egg White. My swap for butter which helps bind the spices to every nook and cranny of the cereal and nuts.
- Maple Syrup. For a touch of extra sweetness and subtle maple flavor.
- Spices. A warm, smoky blend of cinnamon, chipotle, chili powder, and cumin give the Chex mix a lingering kick that, when combined with the sweetness of the maple and the honey nut cereal, is too seductive for petite portions.
- Combine the Chex cereals, pretzels, and nuts.
- Whisk the egg white until foamy, then add the remaining spices and ingredients.
- Drizzle over the cereal and nut mixture, then toss to coat.
- Spread the mixture in a single layer onto a greased, parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake until aromatic, golden, and dry to the touch. Let cool completely. ENJOY!
Chex Mix Storage Tips
- To Store. Store mix in an airtight storage container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
- To Freeze. Place mix in an airtight freezer-safe storage container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let thaw at room temperature.
Frequently Asked Questions
Personally, I find this party mix to be an even balance of sweet and spicy. So it’s totally kid-friendly. However, feel free to adjust the amount of chili powder used if you’re dealing with especially sensitive palates.
While most store-bought pretzels and Chex-style cereal are usually considered vegan-friendly, this recipe is not vegan since it contains eggs. You could try swapping the egg white for a flax egg, however, it would be an experiment since I have not tried this personally.
Try adding corn Chex, cheese-flavored crackers (like Goldfish), oyster crackers, Bugles, or crumbled bagel chips to this sweet spicy party mix recipe.
Sweet Spicy Chex Mix
want to save this recipe?
From time to time, we’ll send you the best of Well Plated. We respect your privacy and you can opt out anytime.
Already registered? Log in here.
- 1 cup crisp honey squares cereal such as Honey Nut Chex
- 1 cup crisp wheat cereal such as Wheat Chex
- 1/2 cup mini pretzel twists
- 1/2 cup unsalted cashews
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 1/4 cup whole almonds
- 1/4 cup unsalted peanuts
- 1 egg white or 3 tablespoons liquid egg whites
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with non-stick spray, line with parchment paper, then coat with baking spray once more. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the honey nut cereal, wheat cereal, pretzels, cashews, pecans, peanuts, and almonds.
- In another bowl, beat the egg white until foamy, then stir in the maple syrup, cinnamon, chipotle powder, chili powder, salt, cumin, and cayenne. Drizzle over the cereal and nut mixture, then toss to coat.
- Spread the mixture in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour, stirring once every 20 minutes. The mixture is done when dry to the touch. Remove from the oven, place the pan on a cooling rack, and let cool completely.
- TO STORE: Store mix in an airtight storage container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
- TO FREEZE: Place mix in an airtight freezer-safe storage container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let thaw at room temperature.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite recipes and access FREE meal plans.Sign Me Up