Boozy Apple Pie Smoothies
Some of life’s greatest achievements are happy accidents. Ruth Wakeford runs out of melted bakers chocolate for her chocolate cookies, tries to swap in a chopped chocolate bar, and the Toll House cookie is born. Richard Jones drops a spring intended to measure naval power down the stairs and invents the slinky. Bourbon falls into my blender, and Boozy Apple Pie Oatmeal Smoothies give each of us a happy Friday.
OK, the bourbon didn’t fall into my blender entirely unassisted, but after tasting how magnificent it is paired with this apple-pie flavored smoothie , I’m taking Cassie’s advice and giving bourbon permanent residence on my condiment shelf.
I’m forever looking for new ways to eat dessert for breakfast, and that is exactly how this apple pie-inspired recipe began—an innocent, weekday morning-appropriate creamy apple smoothie. A blend of vanilla yogurt, fresh apples, and classic pie spices, this smoothie is (for the most part) a very healthy treat. To make the smoothie taste more like apple pie, I added toasted walnuts and a touch of brown sugar for warmth.
These pie-inspired smoothies’ secret ingredient is oatmeal. It adds a “crust” factor and makes the smoothies so thick and rich, I felt like I was drinking a decadent, breakfast-appropriate milkshake.
Then, the bourbon appeared. With a quick splash, we can fast forward from Monday morning milkshake- smoothie, directly to Friday happy hour or a grown-up dessert. Sip deeply—these Boozy Apple Pie Smoothies taste like the weekend, and it’s a beautiful place to be!
Whether you enjoy these apple pie smoothies without the bourbon (they really do taste similar to a milkshake and make a fantastic healthy breakfast or dessert) or spike ‘em up for an after-dinner treat, this is an ideal recipe for early fall, when the weather is still fairly warm, but you are craving cozy flavors. They are a creamy, dreamy sip of fall in a frosty glass.
Boozy Apple Pie Smoothies: all the joy of apple pie, minus the fuss of making a crust, plus bourbon. This is my kind of math, no accident about it.
Boozy Apple Pie Oatmeal Smoothies
A rich and creamy smoothie that tastes just like an apple pie milkshake. Enjoy it without the bourbon for a satisfying breakfast, or add a splash for a grown-up dessert or happy hour treat.
Yield: 1 smoothie
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Cook Time: 1 minute
Total Time: 4 minutes
- 1 medium sweet apple, chopped, such as Gala or Fuji
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt (I used non-fat Greek vanilla)
- 1/4 cup milk of choice (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
- 3 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon toasted chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch ground nutmeg
- pinch ground allspice
- 3 ice cubes
- 1-2 ounces bourbon (I like Bulleit)
- Add all ingredients but the bourbon to the blender: apple, yogurt, milk, oats, walnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and ice. Blend to combine.
- Add the bourbon and blend for a few seconds, just until incorporated. Pour into a glass and enjoy immediately.
I’m also sharing this recipe over at the Tablespoon blog.// All images and text © /Well Plated.
Did you try this recipe? I want to see! Follow Well Plated on Instagram, snap a photo, and tag it #wellplated. I love to know what you are making!
Apples and oatmeal and bourbon, oh my!
- Caramel Apple Crisp Bars
- Blueberry Cream Oatmeal Smoothies
- Gingerbread Bread Pudding with Bourbon Sauce
- Glazed Sweet Potatoes with Whiskey Pecans
This post contains some affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.