Though the nuances of football strategy may be lost on me, I am exceptionally well versed in the important arena of football food. Skinny Chicken Enchilada Dip has my vote for team captain, and I suspect it will be the MVP of your game-day spread too!
Here’s the skinny chicken enchilada dip play-by-play: first, we combine luscious cream cheese, melty cheddar cheese, juicy chicken, and zesty enchilada sauce.
Next, we transfer them to a dish and bake, until the dip transforms into a hot, gooey, and otherwise intoxicating mess.
Finally, the closing maneuver: we station ourselves beside the chicken enchilada dip with a full bag of chips, inhale with reckless abandon, and marvel at the fact that something this easy to make can taste this outstanding.
We can also watch a little football, if you please.
Skinny chicken enchilada dip travels well from counter to couch and from counter to tailgate, which is exactly where I will be taking it this weekend. Ben and I are headed back to our alma mater, in hopes to rally after a heartbreaking loss in overtime last weekend. I plan on donning every piece of gold and blue apparel in my closet, cheering myself hoarse, and yes, eating lots and LOTS of skinny chicken enchilada dip.
Why I Love This “Skinny” Recipe
Although every descriptor of this chicken enchilada dip I’ve given you so far doesn’t exactly jive with the title of “skinny,” I did make a few modifications to keep it on the lighter side.
Instead of full-fat cream cheese, mayo, and sour cream, I used a blend of light cream cheese and non-fat Greek yogurt, along with ultra lean chicken breasts and red enchilada sauce.
While you can certainly used canned enchilada sauce with great results, for the ultimate upgrade, try my homemade red Enchilada Sauce.
More Delicious Dip Recipes
Tools Used to Make This Recipe
I promise you, this skinny chicken enchilada dip tastes anything but.After doing some serious damage while I was home alone (an inherent hazard of working within walking distance of my refrigerator), I brought the leftovers to a friend’s, where we happily ruined our appetites finishing the rest.
Dip season has officially begun!
Skinny Chicken Enchilada Dip
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 breasts)
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon ground chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 10 ounces red enchilada sauce or canned enchilada sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 can black beans (15 ounces), rinsed and drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes in green chilis (10 ounces), drained
- 1 can Mexicorn, drained (11 ounces)
- 1 cup freshly grated reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese divided
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Tortilla chips for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly coat a deep, 9×9-inch baking dish or other 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Cook and shred chicken, following these easy steps*.
- In a large bowl on medium speed, beat together the cream cheese, Greek yogurt, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and salt until smooth and well combined. Reduce speed to low then beat in the enchilada sauce until incorporated. With a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in the beans, tomatoes, corn, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, and shredded chicken.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the dip is hot and the cheese is bubbly. Sprinkle with cilantro, then serve warm with tortilla chips.
- *To cook the chicken in the Instant Pot instead, see this post for Instant Pot Chicken.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.Register