Crockpot Breakfast Potatoes
Crockpot Breakfast Potatoes are perfect for weekend brunch or busy mornings. Crisp, tender potatoes made EASY in a slow cooker, this is easily the best crock pot recipe for serving a crowd!
I’m still of the blessed age where a last-minute potluck dish such as these easy Crockpot Breakfast Potatoes and bottle of Prosecco can gain me admission to any family gathering. Hence, when I called Ben’s mom yesterday to see what “the family” was doing for Easter and she informed me that no plan had been set, I became a little panicky. Did I need to come up with an actual holiday plan of my own?
Like my family, Ben’s extended family usually makes a big, delicious to-do of holiday meals, but the past few weeks have been so frantic (surgeries, illnesses) that the fact that Easter is this very Sunday has just now registered. We may end up getting the larger family together last minute, or Ben and I may just go out to brunch with his parents. In either case, I’ll be with people I love, eating good food. Holiday essentials: ✔️
If we do get together last minute, I know exactly what I am bringing: these easy Crockpot Breakfast Potatoes. They take less than 15 minutes to prep and are designed to feed (and to please) a crowd, and the slow cooker makes them ideal for serving and for easy transport too.
What Makes Crockpot Breakfast Potatoes So Special?
I’ve been a fan of making potatoes in the slow cooker since I first made these Crock Pot Baked Potatoes, and these overnight crockpot breakfast potatoes might be even better. Essentially a slow cooker version of home fries, these Crockpot Breakfast Potatoes have all the necessary components of classic breakfast potatoes:
- crispy outside and creamy inside
- peppers and onions
- the all-American salty somethin’ somethin’ that makes breakfast potatoes addictive
But the thing I love the most about the overnight breakfast potatoes is what they lack: the need to stand at the stove and babysit.
Rather than hover over a hot, oily skillet and stress over whether or not the breakfast potatoes are going to burn on the outside before they cook on the inside, this crockpot breakfast potato method allows you the freedom to put the whole shebang into your slow cooker and walk away.
After a few hours, these Crockpot Breakfast Potatoes will be perfectly tender and creamy, no stirring required. You can enjoy them hot right out of the slow cooker as a side or top them with a fried egg to turn them into a hash, which is how I ate them for lunch.
These Crockpot Breakfast Potatoes are especially effective if you are hosting a party, because the slow cooker completely frees up your stove and oven, and guests can help themselves throughout the day. If you are a guest, it’s also a considerate recipe, because your host won’t need to do anything but clear a little counter space.
How to Customize the Crockpot Breakfast Potatoes Recipe
For those looking to stick to a diet, this recipe reasonably qualifies as healthy breakfast potatoes. If you want to make them ultra decadent, you can slip in an extra tablespoon or two of butter. If you’d prefer the recipe be vegan or dairy free, you can replace the butter with the same amount of olive oil.
I haven’t yet tried transforming the recipe into cheesy breakfast potatoes via a shower of shredded cheese sprinkled over the top at end of the cooking time, but I can’t imagine that little twist being anything short of delicious.
What’s on your Easter menu? Has everything been set for weeks? Or are you still looking for new ideas? I’d love to hear about your celebrations, including celebrations involving staying home all day in your PJs!
Tools I used to make this recipe:
Crockpot Breakfast Potatoes
- 3 pounds red baby potatoes — quartered (cut pieces in half again if very large; they should be a rough 1- to 1 1/2-inch dice)
- 1 green bell pepper — seeded and 1/2-inch diced
- 1 red bell pepper — seeded and 1/2-inch diced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion — finely diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic — minced
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter — diced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt — and black pepper
- Coat the bottom of a 5-quart or larger slow cooker with nonstick spray. Add the potatoes, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, onion, garlic, seasoned salt, paprika, and butter. Drizzle the olive oil over the top, then stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or on low for 4 to 5 hours, until the potatoes are fork tender. The cooking time will vary based upon your slow cooker and the size of your potatoes, so check them a bit early to ensure they do not overcook.
- Stir, then add additional salt and/or pepper to taste. Enjoy hot.
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1 (of 8)) — Calories: 192, Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 8mg, Sodium: 381mg, Carbohydrates: 32g, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 2g, Protein: 4g
Did you try this recipe? I want to see! Follow Well Plated on Instagram, snap a photo, and tag it #wellplated. I love to know what you are making!
This post contains some affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.