A container of Curry Chicken Salad in the fridge broadens my week’s possibilities like a sunny forecast. The Greek yogurt and grapes exude freshness, the cashews add a welcome texture, and the curry, garlic, and maple syrup (or honey) showcase the pizazz.
Equal to this unexpected chicken salad’s bright flavor is its diversity: serve it over lettuce for a quick lunch, wrapped in a tortilla for a filling dinner, or on crackers for a light snack.
Think of this curry chicken salad with Greek yogurt as your Swiss army knife of reliable staples. It stores well for up to five days in your refrigerator but is ready to spring into action whenever (and however!) you need it.
Fun mix-ins like grapes add sweetness to balance the yogurt’s tang and provide an extra dimension of texture. You could also make this curry chicken salad with cranberries or raisins for a similar vibe.
The warm spices in curry pair perfectly with the cool, tangy yogurt too.
If you are new to curry, you’ll find that the flavor isn’t “hot” spicy or overwhelming. Rather, curry adds a lusty, aromatic flavor.
How to Make Curry Chicken Salad
This curry chicken salad with grapes is a meal prepper’s dream. It offers texture galore and is loaded with filling protein to keep you powered for hours.
- Chicken. Tender, bite-sized pieces of chicken breast add protein and substance to this salad while still allowing the other flavors to shine. There’s a section of “Meal Prep Tips” below if you want to cook your chicken in advance.
- Grapes. Delightful bursts of sweetness that complement the more savory flavors in this recipe. For a different fruity twist, you could make this curry chicken salad with apples.
- Cashews. It’s 100% worth the extra step to toast them first. As with almost any nut, toasting the cashews accentuates their flavor and crunch as a leading sidekick in this salad. If you prefer, you can take a note from my Whole30 Chicken Salad and use almonds.
- Celery + Green Onion. For freshness, more crunch, and a touch of green.
- Dressing. A bright, tangy, and subtly warm combination of Greek yogurt, lemon juice, maple syrup, curry powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. The dressing is light but memorable and clings dreamily to every ingredient in the salad.
- Toast the nuts.
- Chop, then set them aside.
- Add the chicken, celery, grapes, onions, and nuts to a bowl.
- Stir together the dressing.
- Combine the dressing and the chicken mixture, stirring to coat.
- Serve cold or at room temperature as desired. ENJOY!
Meal Prep Tips
- Chicken can be cooked and diced up to 2 to 4 days in advance, depending upon how long you’d also like to keep the curry leftover. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Cook the chicken breasts using one of these easy methods: Crock Pot Shredded Chicken, Instant Pot Shredded Chicken, or this stovetop method for How to Cook Shredded Chicken.
- For max ease, you can make this curry chicken salad with rotisserie chicken purchased from your local grocery store.
- Toast the cashews up to 1 week in advance. Store at room temperature.
- Chop the green onions, celery, and grapes up to 1 day in advance, storing them in airtight storage containers in the refrigerator.
- To Store. Refrigerate curry chicken salad in an airtight storage container for up to 5 days.
- To Freeze. While you can freeze curry chicken salad, be aware that the texture may alter a bit once thawed (the flavors will still be tasty!). Freeze leftover chicken salad in an airtight freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
Ways to Serve Curry Chicken Salad
- As Lettuce Wraps. A lightened-up take on a chicken salad sandwich. (Love this idea? Try these easy Lettuce Wraps!)
- As a Salad. Top a bed of lettuce with this chicken salad for a healthy, tasty meal. I like to prepare extra dressing for drizzling over the top.
- With Crackers. Incredibly simple and perfect for a light lunch or snack.
- Inside a Pita or Tortilla. Stuff a pita or tortilla with curry chicken salad for a perfectly packable meal.
- On Bread or Croissants. Pile this salad between two pieces of bread (Crock Pot Bread would work well) for an easy curry chicken salad sandwich.
More Easy Meal Prep Salads
- Black Bean Corn Salad
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Curry Roasted Cauliflower Salad with Chickpeas and Sweet Potatoes
- Broccoli Quinoa Salad with Creamy Lemon Dressing
- Caprese Pasta Salad
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe
- Rimmed Baking Sheets. Great for toasting the nuts in this recipe.
- Mixing Bowls. This stackable set of mixing bowls is perfect for prepping and storing this salad.
- Whisk. Easy to handle and won’t splatter dressing all over the counter.
No matter the week’s forecast, this curry chicken salad is sure to add a burst of sunshine on any day you serve it!
Liking the idea of this healthy chicken salad? I have even more fast, creative, and nutritious ways to use cooked chicken in my upcoming cookbook!
In fact, there’s a whole feature called “Unboring Ways to Use Shredded Chicken.” You don’t want to miss them! If you preorder by 8/24, I’ll send you a bundle of exclusive bonus recipes as a thank you. Click here to learn more.♥
Curry Chicken Salad
- 1/3 cup raw unsalted cashews or almonds
- 2 cups 1/2-inch-diced cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts see notes for cooking methods, about 2 small breasts
- 3 stalks celery finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups seedless red grapes halved
- 2 green onions finely chopped, plus additional to taste or for garnish
- 3 tablespoons nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure maple syrup or honey
- 2 teaspoons curry powder plus additional to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- For serving: pita bread whole grain bread, bibb lettuce, or crackers
- Toast the nuts: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the nuts in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until crisp, fragrant, and toasted. Set a timer and do not walk away from the oven during the last few minutes, as nuts can burn the moment you stop watching. Immediately transfer to a cutting board. Let cool a few minutes and roughly chop.
- In a large bowl, place the diced chicken, celery, grapes, green onions, and toasted nuts.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, maple syrup, curry powder, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper until smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the top of the chicken mixture. With a big spoon, stir gently to evenly coat and combine.
- Enjoy cold or at room temperature inside a pita, on toasted bread, wrapped with lettuce, dipped with crackers, or over a bed of greens
- TO STORE: Refrigerate curry chicken salad in an airtight storage container for up to 5 days.
- TO FREEZE: While you can freeze curry chicken salad, be aware that the texture may alter a bit once thawed (the flavors will still be tasty!). Freeze leftover chicken salad in an airtight freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
- CHICKEN COOKING METHODS: Try this Crock Pot Shredded Chicken, Instant Pot Chicken, or stovetop method for How to Cook Shredded Chicken.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.Register