This Chickpea Salad Sandwich is one kind thing you can do for yourself this week. It takes mere minutes to make, is filled with wholesome ingredients, and the leftover mashed chickpea salad filling saves several days so you’ll have a fast, healthy meal on hand when you need it. I found myself looking forward to lunch every day that it was in our refrigerator.
I don’t know about you, but once summer arrives, my weekend eating habits tend to become a little…lax.
Chip. Dip. Drink. Repeat.
Throw in a few patio brunches and BBQs and you have the makings for a summer weekend routine that I certainly wouldn’t skip but that also leaves me feeling a little “oops” when I wake up on Monday morning (or in the case of this past long weekend, Tuesday morning).
At one point in my life, I would also have woken up feeling guilty.
Now instead of wasting my energy on regret, I’ve found it a much more positive, productive, and healthy use of my time to prepare a few nourishing meals to enjoy throughout the week. I have more energy, feel better about myself, and by Friday? I’m ready to greet the weekend with gusto.
Chickpea Salad Sandwich – A Simple, Healthy Recipe You’ll Love
This Chickpea Salad Sandwich is my latest “be good to yourself” weekday recipe. It’s a tangle of satisfying flavors and textures that tastes fabulous. Eating healthy meals should never mean feeling deprived. Its healthy ingredient line-up means it will leave you feeling fabulous too.
My main inspiration for this Chickpea Salad Sandwich is curry. I adore curry chicken salad, and I suspected that a similar flavor profile would work well with chickpeas, which are a staple in Indian cuisine. BINGO!
In addition to pairing well with curry, chickpeas are also super affordable, high in protein and fiber, and because they keep well in the refrigerator, they are an ideal choice for meal prep lunches. This Chickpea Tuna Salad, Mediterranean Chickpea Salad, and Moroccan Chickpea Salad are three of my other favorite weekday-friendly chickpea salad recipes.
To complement the curry and give the mashed chickpea salad layers of interesting texture, I added plump, chewy golden raisins, diced celery, and toasted cashews.
The crunch of the celery and cashews is a nice contrast to the creaminess of the chickpeas and dressing. The golden raisins provide the right amount of sweetness to balance the curry’s spice.
Due to my lifetime aversion to the “m”-word, this is a Chickpea Salad Sandwich NO MAYO!!! I used entirely nonfat plain Greek yogurt. It’s high in protein, ultra creamy, and perfect for making a healthy, super creamy curry chickpea salad.
How to Store Chickpea Salad
- To Store. Store leftovers in an airtight storage container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
We enjoyed this tasty chickpea salad filling stuffed inside a whole wheat pita, but you could also serve over greens, dipped with crackers, or served open-faced on toasted bread.
Be good to yourself this week!
More Delicious Chickpea Recipes
Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 1 15- ounce can reduced sodium chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup or honey
- 2 teaspoons curry powder plus additional to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch black pepper
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 1 green onion finely chopped, plus additional to taste or for garnish
- 1/4 cup roasted unsalted cashews chopped (or swap almonds or sunflower seeds)
- 3 tablespoons raisins or golden raisins
- For serving: pita toasted bread, crackers, and/or a big bed of greens
- Place the chickpeas in a large mixing bowl and roughly mash with a fork. Leave a few bigger pieces for texture.
- Add the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, maple syrup (or honey), curry powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix well with a spoon. Taste and add additional salt, pepper, or curry powder to taste.
- Mix in the celery, green onion, cashews, and raisins. Enjoy cold or at room temperature inside a pita, on toasted bread, dipped with crackers, or over a bed of greens.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.Register