Fizzy Grapefruit Margaritas
Fizzy Grapefruit Margaritas are a recipe served with love from my back porch. Sorry kitchen table—you’ve been replaced.
While the kitchen table can boast its position as the heartbeat of our home most of the year, in precious spring and summer, I play favorites, and the porch is my sacred spot. If you came to visit me, we’ll drag the kitchen chairs outside, eat too much chips and salsa, and help ourselves to a big pitcher of Fizzy Grapefruit Margaritas. After the sun goes down, we’ll wrap ourselves in blankets and ignore the cool evening air. Just when you should be heading home, I’ll offer to pour us another round. Please say yes.
Margaritas are my warm-weather drink. Every sip tastes of lazy days, bright sunshine, and long nights spent laughing and talking with friends. Whenever I need a bust of summer, I can count on the margarita’s fresh, punchy flavor to transport me to a warmer place with fewer worries. While I might occasionally wish that place to be Mexico, right now I’m perfectly content with my back porch.
Though I believe a well-made classic margarita always deserves the reaction of ahhhhhhh, I feel no need to limit myself to only the traditional iteration, especially when we have so much back porch sitting to accomplish. Today’s pretty pink grapefruit margarita is a flirty, fresh twist on the classic. The fresh grapefruit juice adds an extra dimension of citrusy tartness, and a finishing splash of club soda brings bubbly fun.
Two important warnings: One, I’m an unapologetic margarita snob. When making these grapefruit margaritas, only use freshly squeezed fruit juice. If you must, bottled grapefruit juice is OK (as long as it’s the kind that’s found in the refrigerated section and not in the aisle with the unrefrigerated juice—I like Simply Grapefruit), but never ever use the lime juice that comes in those plastic little bottles. It will taste flat and completely unlike the vibrant, fresh, back porch-worthy grapefruit margarita we are after.
Two, I tend to like my margaritas on the tart side, so if this recipe has too much pucker for your taste, add a half teaspoon or so of light agave to reach your desired level of sweetness.
On the topic of sweet, I am thrilled to be sharing this pretty pink recipe in honor of one of my dearest friends and fellow margarita lover, Christina of Dessert for Two. She and her husband Brian are expecting their first baby in a few short weeks, a darling girl to be named Camille. Christina, I love you dearly and am so happy for you and your growing family! Though I’ll have to mix you a virgin grapefruit margarita for now, very soon we can all celebrate with the real-deal.
A group of wonderful bloggers has joined me for the virtual shower festivities. Don’t miss their lovely recipes, linked at the bottom at this post.
To warm evenings and joyful celebrations ahead: wishing you conversations worth staying up too late to have with friends whom you cherish and an extra round of Fizzy Grapefruit Margaritas to keep you company.
Fizzy Grapefruit Margarita
For each margarita:
- 3 ounces freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, — about 1/2 large grapefruit
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice, — about 1 large lime
- 1 1/2 ounces silver tequila
- 1/2 ounce orange liqueur — such as triple sec or Grand Marnier
- Splash club soda
For the rims and garnish:
- 1 part kosher salt
- 1 part granulated sugar
- Lime wedges — for garnish
- Small grapefruit wedges — for garnish
- Begin by preparing the glasses: Place the sugar and salt on a small plate. Run a lime wedge around the edge of the glasses to moisten them, then tap the edges of the glass in the sugar/salt mixture so that it sticks. Fill with desired amount of ice and set aside.
- In a cocktail shaker or lid with a tightly fitting jar, add the lime juice, grapefruit juice, tequila, and triple sec. Top off the shaker with ice, then close the lid and shake vigorously. Strain margarita into the prepared glasses, then top with a splash of club soda. Garnish with lime and grapefruit wedges. Enjoy immediately.
Did you try this recipe? I want to see! Follow Well Plated on Instagram, snap a photo, and tag it #wellplated. I love to know what you are making!
Don’t miss the rest of our virtual shower recipes. What a party!
- Earl Grey Cake with Vanilla Bean Buttercream from Country Cleaver
- Mini Bourbon and Bacon Tater Tot Casseroles from Climbing Grier Mountain
- Maple-Chia Overnight Oatmeal from Feed Me Phoebe
- Lemon Cake for Two from Keep It Sweet Desserts
- Mini Raspberry Rhubarb Pavlovas from The Baker Chick
- Almond Berry Cake Parfaits for Two from Edible Perspective
- Peanut Butter Bourbon Blondies from The Frosted Vegan
- Mixed Berry Mascarpone Scones from Bluebonnet Baker
- Greek Yogurt Funfetti Cupcakes for Two from The Housewife in Training Files
- Bourbon Barbeque Sliders with Bleu Cheese from Saucy Pear
- Steak Fajita Tacos for Two from The Sweetphi Blog
- Mango Madeleines from Stetted
- Citrus Salad with Mint, Honey, and Lime from Rachel Cooks
- Parfaits for Two from Order in the Kitchen
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Mousse with Coconut Whipped Cream from Joyful Healthy Eats
- French Breakfast Puffs from Stephie Cooks
- Blueberry Vanilla Cream Hand Pies from Eats Well With Others
- Banana Pudding Cheesecake from The Domestic Rebel
This post contains some affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.