This spicy Jalapeño Margarita recipe is not only everything I need to celebrate Cinco de Mayo today—it’s going to save our mortgage. Spicy margaritas can fix any problem!
A margarita saving our mortgage, however? It could be truer than you think.
Last week, my favorite taco spot in Milwaukee opened a new location five minutes from our house. Left to my own devices, I could happily frequent this establishment often enough to warrant carving my name on a bar stool. Between our many visits, I’ve tasted every taco on the menu and sipped every one of their excellent margaritas. My absolute favorite? The spicy jalapeño margarita.
About This Delicious Jalapeño Margarita
Margaritas are my happy place. I associate them with fun times, warm sunshine, and few worries. I love margaritas for their balance of brightness and bite, their refreshing hit of citrus, and the subtle smoothness of their spirits. If a fresh margarita is on the menu, you better believe I am ordering it.
And if there is a fresh jalapeño margarita on the menu like this Peach Margarita? Sign me up and serve me on the rocks.
With our local taco/margarita haunt now dangerously near, I know I’ll be tempted to pop on down the street and order myself a jalapeño margarita more often than I should. While idyllic in theory, this margarita habit of mine could become spendy.
Fortunately for myself and my fellow margarita lovers, all we need to make our own margaritas at home, including this spicy margarita, are a few fresh ingredients. If you want to be extra speedy or are making margaritas for a crowd, a citrus juicer is super helpful too.
With enough motivation, however, you can skip the juicer and squeeze the limes the old-fashioned way.
Really, is there better motivation than a jalapeño margarita?
I think you know the answer to that.
Jalapeño Margarita – Smooth and Spicy
This jalapeño margarita recipe is based on my Skinny Margarita, which has become a signature drink for a few of you, as well as what you routinely make for parties. So fun! If you ever need another guest to help you finish the pitcher, you know who to call.
For a fruity version, you can add jalapeños (1 thin, round jalapeño slice per drink) to my Blackberry Margarita
I hope these spicy margaritas help kick up your Cinco de Mayo celebrations. To go along with them, be sure to check out my ever-growing collection of Cinco de Mayo recipes too.
Tools Used to Make This Recipe
- Cocktail shaker and strainer. I love this set! The shaker never sticks together when you try to open it, doesn’t leak, and is super easy to clean.
- Citrus juicer. Totally worth it.
- Jigger (2-sided shot glass)
- Kosher salt and a lime wedge to rim the glass
- 2 ounces silver tequila about 3 tablespoons
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice about 1 large or 1 1/2 small limes; do not use bottled lime juice, as it will have a very off flavor
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice about 1/2 small/medium orange
- 1 1/2 teaspoons light agave nectar add 2 if you prefer a sweeter margarita
- 1/4 to 1/2 jalapeño pepper cut into thin, round slices (use more for more spice)
- Lime wedges additional jalapeño slices for serving
- Rim the glass: Pour a thin layer of salt onto a small plate. Rub a lime wedge around the top edge of your glass to moisten it, then dip the glass into the salt so that it sticks, tapping all the way around. Fill the glass with ice and set aside.
- Fill a small cocktail shaker with additional ice. Add the tequila, lime juice, orange juice, agave, and jalapeño slices. Tightly close and shake vigorously for 30 seconds (it's longer than you think). Strain into the rimmed glass. Enjoy immediately, garnished with lime wedges and additional jalapeño slices.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.Register