If you need me after 7:30 p.m. any night next week, I’ll be on my back porch, with avocado smears on my face, salsa drips on my pants, and a double-fisted grip on these Green Chile Grilled Chicken Burgers.
Ultra juicy and best served smothered with all manners of Tex-Mex fixin’s, these grilled chicken burgers have become a weeknight (and weekend) default meal at our house. They take less than 10 minutes to prep, boast serious southwest flavor, and are even healthy too!
Plus, since we usually throw the chicken burgers on the grill (you can also cook them stovetop if you prefer), I’m left with little to clean up, beyond our dinner plates…and my skinny margarita glass.
About These Mexican Chicken Burgers
If you read the phrase “chicken burger” and immediately translated it to “hockey puck,” as fellow victim to many a flavorless, dry ground chicken burger patty, I understand. Before you condemn all chicken burgers forever and ever amen, however, I beg you to give one last chicken burger recipe a try—this one.
Even our red-blooded, red-meat-loving neighbor deemed them, “shockingly good.”
High praise from a sworn beef lover and Blue Cheese Burger super fan.
To make a satisfying, juicy chicken burger that’s worthy of its bun, you need two things: 1) moisture and 2) serious flavor. Plain ground chicken is pretty, well, plain.
To amp up both the juicy-factor and the taste of these grilled chicken burgers, I added a can of chopped green chiles.
A lover of Mexican foods and flavors, I’m working with Old El Paso to develop a series of Tex-Mex-inspired recipe this year.
These green chile chicken burgers are the first of more serious southwest deliciousness to come!
The juices and gentle heat of the green chiles infuse the chicken burgers with Tex-Mex flavor.
When combined with a few southwest staples like cumin and chili powder, these chicken burgers go from blah to BINGO.
More Tasty Burger Recipes
- Mediterranean Quinoa Burgers with Sun Dried Tomatoes and Feta
- Teriyaki Burgers with Grilled Pineapple
- Avocado Burger with Chipotle Yogurt Sauce
- Breakfast Burger
- Chipotle Sweet Potato Turkey Burgers
- Super Food Black Bean Vegan Burgers
Tools Used to Make This Recipe
- No grill? No problem! This affordable cast-iron grill plate can be used right on your regular stove and makes beautiful grill marks.
- Ben’s favorite grill set (for indoor grilling and all kinds of fish, roasted veggie, and fried egg flipping, I love this spatula).
Smother these grilled chicken burgers with all the best Mexican-inspired toppings like avocado, salsa, and sour cream, and you have yourself a fiesta that’s on the table less than a half hour.
Do yourself a favor though—do not eat these chicken burgers while wearing white pants. Don’t ask me how I know—I just do.
Green Chile Grilled Chicken Burgers
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 1 can chopped green chiles (4.5 ounces)
- 2 green onions finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- For serving: Sliced tomatoes fresh cilantro, sour cream, sliced avocado, salsa
- Canola oil for grilling
- In a large bowl, combine the ground chicken, green chiles, green onion, jalapeno, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and salt. Divide and shape into 4 patties.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to medium and prepare any desired burger toppings.
- Lightly brush the grill with canola oil. Grill the burgers for 5 minutes, flip, then grill for an additional 3-5 minutes, until cooked through. During the last few minutes of cooking, top the burgers with pepper jack cheese and let melt. If desired, toast the buns on the grill as well.
- Enjoy immediately with any desired toppings.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.Register