Grilled Naan Pizza with Strawberry Chicken and Avocado
After having the most joyful birthday earlier this week, I couldn’t wait one more minute to share this recipe for Grilled Naan Pizza with Strawberry, Chicken, and Avocado with you. It’s laid back and easy breezy to make (thank you pre-made naan pizza crust), but its fresh combination of toppings makes it feel unexpected and celebratory.
While for my big 3-0 last year I threw a themed birthday bash, bought myself a new pair of shoes, and invited everyone I could think of, this year, I didn’t make much of a plan at all. Ben and I went out for a special dinner over the weekend, and on the morning of my birthday, he casually suggested we go out for pizza.
Little did I suspect that 31 would turn out to be one of my happiest birthdays yet, not because the activities were off-the-charts unusual or because we partied until dawn, but because the entire day was interspersed with surprising, touching moments of love from friends and family.
About This Delicious Naan Pizza
From the gorgeous bouquet that arrived from my Milwaukee girlfriends, to the cute new dress my sisters mailed me, to the happy birthday calls and texts, and of course the sweet comments from so many of you on my Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake birthday post, my entire day was filled with cheer. Thank you. My blessings number so many more than my age.
A few hours before Ben and my pizza dinner, I texted two of our friends to see if they and their sweet two-year-old daughter would like to join us. They didn’t think twice about rearranging their evening plans to come celebrate, and the five of us had a cheesy pizza feast. Time with friends, delicious pizza, and even a homemade birthday card, made with love by the littlest birthday guest—I honestly could not have asked for a better birthday meal.
While it’s fun to plan celebrations in advance, impromptu gatherings can be just as special, sometimes even more so. This Naan Pizza with Strawberry, Chicken, and Avocado is perfect for last-minute meals, whether the occasion is a spur-of-the-moment cookout with friends or a simple weeknight dinner at home.
Although I love making pizza dough from scratch (this weeknight homemade whole wheat pizza crust is my go-to), it does require some advance planning. A few weeks ago, a pizza craving hit, as pizza cravings are inclined to do. It was already late, and I honestly wasn’t in the mood to pull out the flour and measuring cups. I’d heard great things about pizza recipes using naan bread, so I decided to try it. The results were outstanding!
I’ve now used naan bread for pizza crust in both the oven and on the grill, and while I love both, naan pizza on the grill has the edge for summer.
You can use this method for grilled naan pizza for any number of naan pizza toppings, but I do hope you’ll try today’s combination of strawberry, avocado, balsamic chicken, and goat cheese at some point soon. While a savory strawberry pizza is less traditional, when combined with the creamy avocado, juicy chicken, and tangy goat cheese, it is absolute heaven. Even Ben, who rarely likes fruit on pizzas, requested this grilled naan pizza recipe be a regular on our summer menu.
Plus, if you’ve been impulsively tossing those beautifully ripe summer strawberries into your cart every single time you enter the grocery store as often as I have, this grilled naan pizza will give you a new yummy way to use them.
More Scrumptious Pizza Recipes
- Burrata Pizza
- Broccoli Pizza Crust
- Carbonara Pizza
- English Muffin Pizza
- Easy Veggie Pita Pizza
- Beet Cheddar Apple Pizza
- Balsamic Brussels Sprouts Bacon Pizza with Feta
- Spicy Turkey, Leek, and Asparagus Pizza
- Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- Ricotta Pizza with Peaches
How to Make This Recipe Ahead
- To Make Ahead. This recipe is best enjoyed the day it is made. For quicker, easier prep, you can cook the chicken and slice the strawberries up to 1 day in advance and store separately in the refrigerator. The balsamic reduction will keep in the refrigerator for about 1 week.
Thanks again to everyone who made my birthday so special! I hope this Grilled Naan Pizza with Strawberry, Chicken, and Avocado makes for a special night in your home too.
Grilled Naan Pizza with Strawberry, Chicken, and Avocado
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar — plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1 medium boneless skinless chicken breast — (about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil — divided
- 1 medium avocado
- 8 ounces fresh strawberries — about 1 1/2 cups sliced
- 3 ounces goat cheese — about 3/4 cup crumbled*
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 cooked naan flatbreads — regular or whole wheat
- Prepare the balsamic glaze: Heat 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer until syrupy and reduced to about a tablespoon, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Grill the chicken: Preheat an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan to medium high (about 425 degrees F). Slice the chicken breast in half length-wise so that you have 2 chicken cutlets. Brush with the remaining 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Grill on each side until the chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, about 6 to 8 minutes per side. Remove to a plate, cover, and let rest 5 minutes. Cut into thin slices, then re-cover and set aside.
- Prepare the rest of your toppings: Peel, pit, and slice the avocado (cover it with plastic or a squirt of lemon juice to prevent browning); cut the strawberries into 1/4-inch-thick rounds or slices; crumble the goat cheese; and slice the basil into thin ribbons.
- Grill the naan and assemble the pizzas: If using a grill pan indoors on the stove, heat the grill pan over medium high. Brush both sides of one of the naan with olive oil and place it in the grill pan, pressing down on the top of it with a spatula to sear. Cook on the first side until just beginning to char, about 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and cook on the second side, just until you have light browning, 30 seconds to 1 minute, then remove to a sheet pan or large plate. Repeat with second naan. If using an outdoor grill, ensure your grill plates are very clean (I recommend heating the grill to very high heat, then brushing the grates to remove any residue). Reduce the heat to medium, about 350 degrees F. Brush both sides of the naan with oil, place them on the grill, and close the lid. Let cook 2 to 4 minutes, until the first side has light grill marks. Flip, close the lid, and cook 30 seconds to 1 additional minute, until the second just side begins to brown. Remove to a sheet pan or large plate.
- Arrange the strawberries, grilled chicken, goat cheese, and avocado slices on the charred side of the naan. Carefully place it back on the heat (if you are using a grill pan, reduce the heat to medium). Cover and let cook until the cheese is warmed through and the bottom finishes browning, about 2 additional minutes. Remove from heat. Drizzle with the balsamic syrup and sprinkle with fresh basil. Serve immediately.
- This recipe is best enjoyed the day it is made. For quicker, easier prep, you can cook the chicken and slice the strawberries up to 1 day in advance and store separately in the refrigerator. The balsamic reduction will keep in the refrigerator for about 1 week.
- *If you don't care for goat cheese, you can substitute crumbled feta or mozzarella. I suspect gorgonzola would also be delicious.
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1 (of 4)) — Calories: 356, Fat: 18g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 45mg, Sodium: 21mg, Carbohydrates: 31g, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 6g, Protein: 18g
Did you try this recipe? I want to see! Follow Well Plated on Instagram, snap a photo, and tag it #wellplated. I love to know what you are making!
This post contains some affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.