This Grilled Naan Pizza with Strawberry, Chicken, and Avocado is laid back and easy breezy to make (thank you pre-made naan pizza crust), but its fresh combination of toppings makes it feel unexpected and celebratory.
This naan pizza is perfect for summer meals, whether the occasion is a spur-of-the-moment cookout with friends or a simple weeknight dinner at home.
Although I love making pizza dough from scratch (this Whole Wheat Pizza Dough is my go-to), it does require some advance planning.
A few weeks ago, a pizza craving hit, as pizza cravings are inclined to do.
It was already late, and I honestly wasn’t in the mood to pull out the flour and measuring cups.
I’ve now used naan bread for pizza crust in both the oven and on the grill (see Naan Pizza for an oven recipe).
While I love both methods, naan pizza on the grill has the edge for summer.
You can use this method for grilled naan pizza for any number of naan pizza toppings, but I do hope you’ll try today’s combination of strawberry, avocado, balsamic chicken, and goat cheese at some point soon.
While a savory strawberry pizza is less traditional, when combined with the creamy avocado, juicy chicken, and tangy goat cheese, it is absolute heaven.
Plus, if you’ve been impulsively tossing those beautifully ripe summer strawberries into your cart every single time you enter the grocery store as often as I have, this grilled naan pizza will give you a new yummy way to use them.
5 Star Review
“We loved these. Will definitely be making this again.”— Angie —
How to Make Grilled Naan Pizza
A simple combination of stellar ingredients results in this special naan pizza recipe.
If you’re in the mood for another topping combination, feel free to adapt this recipe as you please.
- Naan. Soft and fluffy naan crisps up perfectly on the grill, creating a tasty pizza crust in minutes.
- Chicken Breast. Tender grilled chicken pieces add wonderful flavor and help make this pizza more satisfying.
- Balsamic Vinegar. Balsamic vinegar transforms into a thick, sticky, and sweet balsamic glaze. It elevates the pizza in both taste and presentation.
- Avocado. Creamy deliciousness that tastes wonderful with the strawberries. Avocado is packed with healthy fats and vitamins.
- Strawberries. Juicy, sweet red jewels that take a savory turn on this scrumptious grilled pizza. They’re also rich in vitamins and fiber.
- Goat Cheese. The creamy texture and unique flavor of goat cheese make it the perfect addition to this pizza.
- Basil. A shower of fresh basil is the perfect finishing touch for this pizza.
- Prepare the balsamic glaze.
- Grill the chicken. Remove it to a plate, then cut it into slices.
- Prep the remaining pizza toppings.
- Grill the naan for 2 to 4 minutes, then flip and grill for 30 seconds to 1 minute more.
- Add the toppings (minus the basil), then return the naan to the heat for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, drizzle with balsamic glaze, and top with basil. ENJOY!
- To Store. Refrigerate leftover pizza in an airtight storage container for up to 3 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm pizza on a baking sheet in the oven at 350 degrees F or in the microwave.
Meal Prep Tip
For quicker, easier prep, you can cook the chicken and slice the strawberries up to 1 day in advance and store them separately in the refrigerator. The balsamic reduction will keep in the refrigerator for about 1 week.
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe
- Tongs. Ideal for flipping the chicken and naan.
- Instant Read Thermometer. The best way to ensure your chicken is cooked through.
- Grill Pan. Instead of making grilled flatbread pizza on gas grill, you can use this pan to grill indoors.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can grill a pizza indoors. If you don’t have an outdoor grill to use, you can certainly make this pizza using a grill pan on your stovetop instead. Directions for using a grill pan are included in the recipe instructions below.
Yes, you can omit the chicken if you’d like to make a vegetarian grilled naan pizza. Feel free to add extra of the other toppings to help fill your pizza.
Grilled Naan Pizza with Strawberry, Chicken, and Avocado
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1 medium boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 medium avocado
- 8 ounces fresh strawberries about 1 1/2 cups sliced
- 3 ounces goat cheese about 3/4 cup crumbled*
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 cooked naan flatbreads regular or whole wheat, or Homemade Naan
- Prepare the balsamic glaze: Heat 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer until syrupy and reduced to about a tablespoon, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Grill the chicken: Preheat an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan to medium high (about 425 degrees F). Slice the chicken breast in half length-wise so that you have 2 chicken cutlets. Brush with the remaining 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Grill on each side until the chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, about 6 to 8 minutes per side. Remove to a plate, cover, and let rest 5 minutes. Cut into thin slices, then re-cover and set aside.
- Prepare the rest of your toppings: Peel, pit, and slice the avocado (cover it with plastic or a squirt of lemon juice to prevent browning); cut the strawberries into 1/4-inch-thick rounds or slices; crumble the goat cheese; and slice the basil into thin ribbons.
- Grill the naan and assemble the pizzas: If using a grill pan indoors on the stove, heat the grill pan over medium high. Brush both sides of one of the naan with olive oil and place it in the grill pan, pressing down on the top of it with a spatula to sear. Cook on the first side until just beginning to char, about 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and cook on the second side, just until you have light browning, 30 seconds to 1 minute, then remove to a sheet pan or large plate. Repeat with the second naan. If using an outdoor grill, ensure your grill plates are very clean (I recommend heating the grill to very high heat, then brushing the grates to remove any residue). Reduce the heat to medium, about 350 degrees F. Brush both sides of the naan with oil, place them on the grill, and close the lid. Let cook 2 to 4 minutes, until the first side has light grill marks. Flip, close the lid, and cook 30 seconds to 1 additional minute, until the second just side begins to brown. Remove to a sheet pan or large plate.
- Arrange the strawberries, grilled chicken, goat cheese, and avocado slices on the charred side of the naan. Carefully place it back on the heat (if you are using a grill pan, reduce the heat to medium). Cover and let cook until the cheese is warmed through and the bottom finishes browning, about 2 additional minutes. Remove from heat. Drizzle with the balsamic syrup and sprinkle with fresh basil. Serve immediately.
- *If you don’t care for goat cheese, you can substitute crumbled feta or mozzarella. I suspect gorgonzola would also be delicious.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate leftover pizza in an airtight storage container for up to 3 days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm pizza on a baking sheet in the oven at 350 degrees F or in the microwave.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.Register