Bacon Jalapeno Poppers
The Wisconsin State Fair is at its full, Ferris wheel peak. The rides are whirring, and every deep fryer and strip of bacon north of Chicago has been commissioned to feed the hungry crowds. While the animals are cute and the rides are fun, FOOD is the most anticipated event. Today’s recipe for cream cheese-stuffed Bacon Jalapeño Poppers is inspired by the State Fair, but you don’t need to travel any farther than your kitchen to enjoy them. See the recipe in action in the below video!
Halved jalapeños stuffed with a decadent cream cheese, shredded cheese, and bacon filling, then sprinkled with Panko breadcrumbs and baked to golden, crispy perfection, these Bacon Jalapeño Poppers should come with a warning label: ADDICTION INEVITABLE. Take your first cheesy, creamy, and crunchy bite, and see if you don’t agree. I’m teaming up with my local grocery store, Pick ‘n Save, to share this recipe, and I’m excited for you to try it too!
Like most state fair foods, classic stuffed jalapeño poppers are deep fried, but for the ease of at-home preparation (and to save room for my other state fair guilty pleasures—ahem, deep-fried Snickers bars), I decided to try baking the bacon stuffed jalapeños instead. The results were blue-ribbon worthy!
Not only are these Bacon Jalapeño Poppers just as addictive as the original recipe that inspired them, they are incredibly simple to prepare. Beat the cream cheese filling, half and stuff the jalapeños, then bake. No messy fryer or oily clean up required.
Ben has already requested these Bacon Jalapeño Poppers for every football game watch from season kick off through the Super Bowl, so I’m definitely glad they are a) easy, b) baked (my jeans agree), and c) EASY. You can even stuff the jalapeños a day in advance, then bake them just before serving.
Watch out funnel cakes: these Bacon Jalapeño Poppers are about to become the new fair favorite!
For a step-by-step of how to make this Bacon Jalapeno Poppers recipe, watch this short video:
Bacon Jalapeno Poppers
If you like spicy, you will LOVE baked Bacon Jalapeno Poppers! Halved jalapeños stuffed with cream cheese, bacon and garlic, topped with crispy breadcrumbs.
Yield: 24 poppers
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 4 strips bacon, cooked
- 12 small/medium-sized jalapeno peppers, split in half length-wise with seeds and membranes removed
- 6 ounces light cream cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated pepper jack cheese
- 2 small green onions, finely sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Nonstick cooking spray
- If necessary, cook the bacon according to these easy steps. Once cool, dice the bacon into small pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with nonstick spray or line with parchment paper or a silpat mat. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese, grated cheese, three-quarters of the bacon, green onion, garlic powder, and salt. Spoon the filling into each jalapeño cavity. Arrange the peppers on prepared baking sheet, filling-side up.
- Sprinkle a small amount of panko on top of each jalapeno, then lightly coat the top of the jalapenos with nonstick spray. Bake until the jalapenos are tender and the breadcrumbs are golden, about 15 to 18 minutes. If the panko isn’t browned to your liking when the peppers are soft, switch the oven to broil and broil for 1 minute or so watching VERY CAREFULLY to make sure the breadcrumbs do not burn (don’t walk away!). Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining bacon. Serve hot.
The Bacon Jalapeno Poppers can be prepared through Step 3 up to 1 day in advance. Sprinkle with panko and bake just before serving.
Serving Size: 1 popper
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 89
- Total Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Sodium: 236mg
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 2g
- Protein: 5g
I’m sharing this post in partnership with Pick ‘N Save. As always, all opinions are my own and thank you for supporting the brands and companies that make it possible for me to provide high quality content to you!