My typical pace in the kitchen hovers somewhere between “comfortable” and “seriously—what have I been doing in here for the past hour?” I dither. I thoughtfully select garnishes. I relax. And then I wonder how it became 9:15 p.m. and we haven’t even sat down yet. For fun (and efficiency), I decided to give myself a challenge: could I, a self-professed kitchen slowpoke make a real, satisfying, no-microwave-allowed meal in 10 minutes or less? The answer: Yes! Meet 10 Minute Tostadas.
Honestly, I didn’t think that I could do it. My style in life is marathon, not sprint. I can’t even get out of a grocery store in less than 10 minutes, so I thought having a nutritious meal that actually tasted good on the table in the same amount of time would be impossible. I was wrong. This black bean tostada recipe is healthy, filling, and was on my plate in 9 minutes and 54 seconds. (Yes, I actually timed it. Next time, I’m video taping for instant replay.)
Meeting the 10-minute mark did take some hustle on my part—not a full-on, sweating-through-my-apron level of urgency, but I did need to stay very focused to make the time. At my typical leisurely pace, these black bean tostadas would take closer to 15 minutes, which in my opinion is still pretty darn impressive for a full meal.
How to Make Tostadas Everyone Will Love
The secret to the tostadas’ speed is a trifecta of protein-rich black beans, your favorite salsa (I opted for a fresh, chunky-style salsa with medium heat), and diced red onions that are flash sautéed before adding the beans. A quick mash, and our zesty black beans are ready to be piled high atop toasted corn tortillas.
From here, it’s a fixin’-palooza. Though in a true rush, you can certainly eat the tostadas unadorned or with a quick dollop of sour cream or a little extra salsa and red onion, I found it worthwhile to sneak over the 10-minute mark and really gussy them up: sliced jalapeños, fresh cilantro, crunchy cabbage, queso fresco, and sliced avocados are all dynamite. Choose the toppings you love and have time to prepare.
Though I won’t be entering any speed-oriented cooking competitions anytime soon (and it still took me 25 minutes to pick up four things at the grocery store yesterday), I’m happy to have this fast tostada recipe in my arsenal.
What to Serve with Tostadas
- Guacamole. This Rockin’ Guacamole is the perfect side dish.
- Margaritas. Either Fizzy Grapefruit Margaritas or Jalapeño Peach Margaritas would be delicious. Qué bueno.
- Beans. Add even more beans to your meal by serving this dish with a side of Instant Pot Refried Beans or Crock Pot Pinto Beans.
More Delicious Black Bean Recipes
The gauntlet has been laid: 9 minutes, 54 seconds. Can you beat my 10-Minute black bean tostada record? If you try, I’d love to hear how it goes!
10 Minute Black Bean Tostadas
For the Tostadas:
- 4 corn tortillas (6-inch)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 can reduced-sodium black beans (15 ounces) rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup prepared salsa plus additional for serving
- Diced avocado
- Diced red onion
- Sliced cabbage
- Shredded cheese (I used queso fresco)
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Diced tomatoes
- Jalapeño slices
- Fresh cilantro
- Freshly squeezed lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high. Dice the onion, then add it and the salt and cook 2 minutes, until just beginning to soften. Add the black beans and 1/4 cup salsa and stir to coat with the oil and onions. Cook, stirring periodically, until heated through, about 4 minutes. Mash and set aside.
- Meanwhile, spread the tortillas in a single layer on a baking sheet, then place in the oven until crisp, about 6 minutes, flipping the tortillas once half way through. Prepare any desired toppings.
- To serve, spoon the black beans over the crisp tortillas, then pile on the toppings. Enjoy immediately.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.Register