Chocolate Orange Party Mix
Happy Halloween! I have a sweet treat to share with you in celebration of the holiday: Chocolate Orange Party Mix. Whether you need a last-minute munchie for tonight or a clever way to use up your leftover candy on November 1st, this sweet and salty snack is a tasty, addictive choice you’ll want to revisit for future seasonal gatherings.
This recipe is sponsored by ANGOSTURA® bitters.
I grew up eating my Aunt Sharon’s party mix every holiday season. Our whole fam flocks around the container, and it’s a common tactic to scoop some into plastic bags and stash it away for later.
In addition to its nostalgia factor, party mix is one of the most appropriately named recipes of all time. It is ideal for parties! Party mix is a snap to make in advance, you can scale it to any quantity, and, as my family’s behavior can attest, it’s a crowd-pleaser.
Party mix is also versatile, as it can be jazzed up with any number of spices and mix-ins. For the max addiction factor, I default to salty/sweet, like this Spicy Sweet Party Mix and my original Halloween Party Mix.
Today’s recipe maintains the balanced salt+sweet dynamic, with the added twist of another combo I grew up savoring: chocolate and orange.
About This Healthy Halloween Trail Mix
The orange flavor in this recipe is present but not overwhelming. It comes from two key ingredients: freshly grated orange zest and the light, bright citrus notes of ANGOSTURA® orange bitters.
Bitters are best known for their application in cocktails (a few dashes are a key ingredient in recipes like a Brandy Old Fashioned, for example), but it may come as a surprise that you can cook with them, too!
I was drawn to incorporating orange bitters in this party mix because they have a blend of spices and citrus that adds complex flavor notes to an otherwise ho-hum canvas. The orange bitters also pair well with the lighter flavors of honey and almond that I added to the recipe.
After making this party mix, I was so pleased with the way the bitters upped the taste factor, I fell down a bit of an internet rabbit hole and started reading about all kinds of different culinary applications for them, including marinating meat, jazzing up BBQ sauce and even flavoring cakes. Think of them like a cooking extract, used in the same way you would vanilla. So cool!
ANGOSTURA has been making its signature aromatic bitters for more than 190 years and they are an established staple in bar carts and pantries around the world. You can find more food and drink recipes and brand events on their blog, but don’t expect to come across the exact recipe. It’s an almost 200-year-old secret known by only FIVE people. Think I can barter some Chocolate-Orange Party Mix in exchange for it?
- Rice Cereal. A trail mix essential!
- Pretzel Twists. Crunchy, salty, and disliked by no one.
- Almonds. A healthy, protein-packed addition.
- Butter. Once melted, the butter helps the orange flavor stick to the ingredients.
- ANGOSTURA Orange Bitters. My secret flavor weapon!
- Honey. For a touch of sweetness.
- Orange Zest. Delicious orange flavor and color.
- Candy Coated Chocolate Pieces. I kept it classic with dark chocolate candies in Halloween colors, but you can easily swap the colors for whatever you have on hand.
- At Christmas, I like to use this same recipe with red and green candy instead. You can even use team colors for a football game party.
- Preheat the oven to 250°F. Line large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the cereal, pretzels and almonds in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small, microwave-safe bowl or measuring cup, melt the butter together with the orange bitters and honey. Once melted, stir until smooth, then stir in the orange zest and salt. Pour over the cereal mixture. Stir gently to coat, then spread the cereal mixture onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until the mixture is toasted and crunchy, stirring once or twice throughout. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on the baking sheet. Add to a serving bowl and toss with the chocolate candies. Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
How to Store and Freeze Chocolate Orange Party Mix
- To Store. Store party mix in an airtight storage container or ziptop bag at room temperature for up to 1 week. Make sure you seal the bag or lid very well each time you open it.
- To Freeze. Place party mix in an airtight freezer-safe storage container or ziptop bag in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Other Delicious Party Chex Mix Recipes
Basically, I want any and all the excuses to make and devour Chocolate Orange Party Mix. Try it and you will too!
Chocolate Orange Party Mix
- 3 cups square rice cereal
- 1 1/2 cups bite-size pretzel twists
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon ANGOSTURA orange bitters
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup black and orange candy-coated chocolate pieces
Preheat the oven to 250°F. Line large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the cereal, pretzels and almonds in a large mixing bowl.
In a small, microwave-safe bowl or measuring cup, melt the butter together with the orange bitters and honey. Once melted, stir until smooth, then stir in the orange zest and salt. Pour over the cereal mixture. Stir gently to coat, then spread the cereal mixture onto the prepared baking sheet.
Bake for 40 minutes, or until the mixture is toasted and crunchy, stirring once or twice throughout. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on the baking sheet. Add to a serving bowl and toss with the chocolate candies. Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (0.5 cup) — Calories: 178, Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 6mg, Carbohydrates: 22g, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 10g, Protein: 4g
Did you try this recipe? I want to see! Follow Well Plated on Instagram, snap a photo, and tag it #wellplated. I love to know what you are making!
I am sharing this post in partnership with ANGOSTURA bitters. As always, all opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands and companies that make it possible for me to continue to create quality content for you!
This post contains some affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.