Crispy, sticky, and full of flavor, these Oven Baked Chicken Wings are going to disappear quickly. A simple honey garlic marinade makes them a showstopper, and the baked method makes this recipe easy!
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE?
From time to time, we'll send you the best of Well Plated. We respect your privacy and you can opt out anytime.
Already registered? Log in here.
Why You’ll Love This Easy Chicken Wings Recipe
- Actually Easy to Make. Just like my Lemon Pepper Wings, these wings are deceptively easy to make. Stir together marinade; pour marinade on chicken; bake chicken. Done (no baking powder step is required)! Plus, they’re less messy than traditional wings.
- Wings for a Crowd. Despite their simple prep, oven baked chicken wings look and taste impressive (just like these Buffalo Air Fryer Chicken Wings and Korean Air Fryer Chicken Wings). With their many layers of intense flavor and crispy exterior, all of your guests will be asking you for the recipe.
- Versatile. We’re partial to this honey garlic marinade, but you can use any marinade, sauce, or rub of your choosing. Buffalo, BBQ, or simple salt and pepper: it’s up to you! These Baked Chicken Legs are also versatile and easy!
5 Star Review
“Made these yesterday and they were delish! I’ll definitely be making them again and again.”— S.A. —
How to Make Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Wings
- Chicken Wings. One of the most affordable cuts of chicken, their high skin-to-meat ratio makes chicken wings one of the most pleasurable cuts of chicken to eat. You can purchase your chicken wings already split, or split them yourself.
- Soy Sauce. Tenderizes the wings as they marinate and adds savory umami. No additional salt is needed for these!
- Brown Sugar. Adds depth, sweetness, and helps the wings caramelize.
- Honey. Makes this the best chicken wings recipe (aka it makes them sweet, sticky, and finger-licking good).
- Garlic. Sweet, abundant, and the perfect flavor to complement the spicy black pepper and flavorful soy sauce.
- Black Pepper. Adds just the right amount of heat without overpowering the garlic and honey.
- Green Onions. For a final flourish of color and light onion flavor.
- Prepare the Marinade. Combine the marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Split the wings if needed.
- Marinate. Marinate chicken wings for 12 to 24 hours.
- Prep the Wings. Arrange the wings on a prepared baking sheet lined with foil.
- Bake the Wings at 450 Degrees F. About 12 to 18 minutes is how long to cook chicken wings in the oven. Garnish with chopped green onions and serve. ENJOY!
- To Store. Cooked wings may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To Reheat. Warm the wings in a 350 degrees F oven until heated through. You may also microwave in a covered container.
- To Freeze. Fully cooked wings may be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge before reheating.
What to Serve With Oven Baked Chicken Wings
- Dip. A cool and creamy dip like Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip would be delightful with these baked honey garlic chicken wings.
- Mac and Cheese. A classic pairing that never disappoints! Try Instant Pot Mac and Cheese, Gourmet Mac and Cheese, or Cauliflower “Mac” and Cheese.
- Salad. Both Healthy Coleslaw and Healthy Potato Salad would pair nicely with this tasty chicken wings recipe. For a green salad, try Arugula Salad.
- Veggies. For a tasty veggie side, you’ll love Grilled Corn, Oven Roasted Potatoes, or Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts.
Recommended Tools to Make This Recipe
- Sheet Pan. Not just for cookies. A large sheet pan is great for savory dishes too.
- Mixing Bowl. I love this space-saving nested set of glass mixing bowls.
- Party Platter. Serve your crispy oven baked chicken wings on a festive platter to liven up your game day spread.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Don’t Crowd the Pan. Room for air to circulate is critical for crispy wings.
- Marinate a Day Ahead. For maximum flavor, I suggest marinating these wings for a full 24 hours before baking. If you need to speed things up, however, I’ve also baked this honey garlic chicken wings recipe after 12 hours and my guests were none the wiser.
- Don’t Skip the Dip! I like to serve my favorite Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip with these oven baked chicken wings. The cooling flavors of the ranch help balance the spicy black pepper heat from the wings.
- Try Them in the Air Fryer. For another crispy chicken wing cooking method, try making this recipe following the cooking times in my Air Fryer Chicken Wings.
Oven Baked Chicken Wings
want to save this recipe?
From time to time, we’ll send you the best of Well Plated. We respect your privacy and you can opt out anytime.
Already registered? Log in here.
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce (or tamari for gluten free wings)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar plus 1 teaspoon, light or dark
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper plus 1 teaspoon
- 2 pounds chicken wings
- Chopped green onions for garnish
- Prepared Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip for serving (optional)
- In a mixing bowl or large measuring cup, stir together the soy sauce, brown sugar, honey, garlic, and black pepper. Set aside.
- To prepare the wings, start by cutting off the wing tip by wiggling your knife edge at the joint “soft spot.” It should separate fairly easily, but if not, put the blade in place, then carefully but firmly hit the top of your knife to apply extra pressure. Repeat at the other wing joint, cutting through the skin to separate the small drumstick from the flat portion of the wing. This joint will require more pressure than the first—again, feel for the “soft spot.”
- Place the wings in a zip-top bag, then pour the marinade into the bag and seal it tightly, removing as much air as possible. Squish the marinade around the wings so that all sides are coated. Place the bag in a baking dish, then let the wings marinate in the refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours, turning the wings periodically to redistribute the marinade and keep the chicken evenly coated.
- To bake, position a rack in the center position of your oven and preheat to 450°F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a baking rack on top. Lightly coat the rack with cooking spray, then arrange the wings on the rack in a single layer.
- Bake for 12 to 18 minutes, until the skin is crispy and dark brown. The wings are done when the skin shrinks away from the ends of the bones, and the wing juices run clear when pierced with a fork. Sprinkle wings with chopped green onions and serve with Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip (optional).
- TO STORE: Cooked wings may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- TO REHEAT: Warm the wings in a 350°F oven until heated through. You may also microwave in a covered container.
- TO FREEZE: Fully cooked wings may be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite recipes and access FREE meal plans.Sign Me Up