I’m developing a serious case of summer FOMO. My coping mechanism: eat Caprese salad in as many forms as possible, including these Grilled Pesto Chicken Skewers with tomato and mozzarella.
For those of you who, unlike myself, lack a cooler, younger sibling to keep you updated on hip acronyms, FOMO stands for “Fear of Missing Out.” At the end of every June, I feel prickles of light panic, because one third of summer has disappeared, and I fear I am behind on making the most of it.
How can it possibly be the last day of June, and I have yet to bake my Grammy’s classic shortcake, toast a s’more (though these indoor s’mores bites were a delightful alternative), make these Grilled Stuffed Peppers, or go camping?
Clearly, I have my work cut out for me this July and August.
One area where I am pleased to have stayed FOMO-free is my consumption of fresh summer tomatoes and basil. I add a pint (or three) of cherry tomatoes to my cart every time I am in the grocery store, and I am eagerly awaiting this weekend, when I can fill my bag with local heirloom tomatoes and fresh basil at the farmers market.
I’ve been keeping up with our excess supply of tomatoes (if there can be such a thing) by making large plates of Caprese salad, a simple Italian combination of fresh mozzarella, ripe tomatoes, and basil, seasoned with a bit of salt and olive oil.
We munch on some form of Caprese every week, and its summery flavors inspired these grilled pesto chicken skewers.
About These Grilled Chicken Skewers
Ben and I both loved this grilled pesto chicken recipe so much, we made the skewers for dinner two nights in a row, and I happily gobbled the leftovers for lunch the next day.
Honestly, I feel a little outlandish calling these grilled pesto chicken skewers a recipe, because they are so easy to make (just like these Grilled Chicken Tenders). That said, they are also so incredibly good, I couldn’t resist sharing them with you.
To make grilled pesto chicken skewers, simply marinate the chicken in good-quality pesto (homemade like my creamy Basil Pesto, or store-bought), thread it onto skewers with cherry or grape tomatoes, then grill. DONE. (Use any leftover pesto to make this delicious Pesto Salmon recipe.)
For the Caprese option, serve the grilled pesto chicken skewers alongside mini mozzarella balls drizzled with a little extra pesto. They’re easy, light, and I’d proudly serve this recipe at any party.
More Recipes with Caprese Inspiration
Recommended Tools to Make This Recipe
Whether you are looking for a make-ahead appetizer to add to your Fourth of July menu this weekend or a go-to summer weeknight dinner, I can’t imagine anything more fitting than these Grilled Pesto Chicken Skewers. Every bite is simple, perfect, and tastes like the summer days I wish would never end.
Grilled Pesto Chicken Skewers
For the Grilled Pesto Chicken and Tomato Skewers:
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- Canola Oil for grilling
For the Mozzarella Balls (optional):
- 12 small mozzarella balls
- 1 tablespoon prepared pesto
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken pieces and 1/2 cup pesto. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight. If using wooden skewers, place in water to soak for at least 30 minutes. Place mozzarella balls in a small bowl and toss with remaining 1 tablespoon pesto. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Let both the chicken and the mozzarella stand at room temperature 20 minutes prior to grilling.
- When ready to cook, preheat an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan to medium. Thread the chicken and tomatoes onto the skewers, alternating as you go. Lightly brush the grill with canola oil to prevent sticking. Cook skewers for 3 minutes on one side, then turn and continue grilling until chicken is cooked through, about 1-2 additional minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature with mozzarella balls.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.Register